Connecting Strymon to Midi

theejpp

I know this isn’t really a PBC issue, but you guys are all super smart and great at helping, so I hope you all may know something I don’t...

My Timeline amd Big Sky are both really old versions (1.23 and 1.11 respectively) and I am trying to connect to Nixie so I can update and begin using its features. However, I cannot get anything to work. When running the PBC in merge mode, no devices are detected. When running in transfer mode, Nixie will detect the pedal but I get this error message every time I try to update. Anyone know what’s going on?

I’m going midi out of the PBC into the TL, out of the TL back into the PBC, and my computer is connected via USB B. I have tried with and without having the PBC editor open, and no difference. The TL is in Midi thru on, which is the equivalent of merge on this version because merge wasn’t an option. The same setup and settings were applied to the Big Sky and it updated just fine.

I’ve also tried downloading V1.84, which is the oldest available download on the Strymon side and the one that they recommend you use when you can’t use Nixie. I open it up in the Librarian and run it, but the same thing happens. My screen goes black and the program runs like normal but when the delay turns back on, it’s still on the old version. Nothing ever transfers

https://imgur.com/a/jo8G2Fk

Last edited:
Try updating the pedals directly to a computer not running through the PBC.

From recollection, I don't believe you can have both the RJM editor and Nixie running at the same time and use Nixie.

Try updating the pedals directly to a computer not running through the PBC.

From recollection, I don't believe you can have both the RJM editor and Nixie running at the same time and use Nixie.
I can try that, but I’d have to go buy the interface which is a bummer. I’m also not sure why I could update and edit the Big Sky just fine via Nixie, though

Maybe it's a setting in the timeline you're missing possibly? Is the big sky before the timeline and passing midi? Try bypassing the big sky?

I have an M-Audio Uno interface which works well and is rather inexpensive. It's also good to have as you'll see Ron reference viewing midi messages which are being sent when someone has a problem (for troubleshooting)..the interface is used for this into a computer. I also use one for keyboards too...so it's a tool to have anyways for other things.

FWIW, I have both pedals too and my timeline pedal originally had old original firmware and had problems going through the PBC. That was awhile ago though. I know I updated mine from my interface.

Maybe someone else may have a solution for you for updating.

Last edited:
Maybe it's a setting in the timeline you're missing possibly? Is the big sky before the timeline and passing midi? Try bypassing the big sky?

I have an M-Audio Uno interface which works well and is rather inexpensive. It's also good to have as you'll see Ron reference viewing midi messages which are being sent when someone has a problem (for troubleshooting)..the interface is used for this into a computer. I also use one for keyboards too...so it's a tool to have anyways for other things.

FWIW, I have both pedals too and my timeline pedal originally had old original firmware and had problems going through the PBC. That was awhile ago though. I know I updated mine from my interface.

Maybe someone else may have a solution for you for updating.
I’m pretty sure the settings are all correct, who knows. I didn’t have the BS in the midi loop, I’m currently redoing my board and so it was just the TL hooked up directly to the PBC.

I probably will have to buy an Uno, I just was really not wanting to spend $50 on something I need literally once.

I’m pretty sure the settings are all correct, who knows. I didn’t have the BS in the midi loop, I’m currently redoing my board and so it was just the TL hooked up directly to the PBC.

I probably will have to buy an Uno, I just was really not wanting to spend $50 on something I need literally once.

I think they are about 40.00 at Sweetwater. You may be able to get it for less on eBay used. You may use it again, it's not a bad thing to have. If it's not important to you to update the pedal, then stick with what you have.

If you do anything on your computer with MIDI, it can be very useful too have. I'm sure there are lessor cost brands out there...I merely mentioned what I have and use.

There are other uses for it for example. I use a MIDI foot controller which connects to my computer. It controls all keystrokes and mouse clicks. Even something as small to start/stop/play/restart etc on a song I may be practicing. It eliminates the need of using a keyboard or mouse which obviously you have to take your hands off of the guitar.

This is permitted by using simple software that emulates keystrokes/mouse clicks from MIDI CC or PC's sent from the MIDI foot controller. Those keystrokes/mouse clicks are set in the software. It's actually a very simple setup and easy to configure. Is it needed...not really, but makes for quick adjustments normally you have to touch the keyboard or mouse with.

I think they are about 40.00 at Sweetwater. You may be able to get it for less on eBay used. You may use it again, it's not a bad thing to have. If it's not important to you to update the pedal, then stick with what you have.

If you do anything on your computer with MIDI, it can be very useful too have. I'm sure there are lessor cost brands out there...I merely mentioned what I have and use.

There are other uses for it for example. I use a MIDI foot controller which connects to my computer. It controls all keystrokes and mouse clicks. Even something as small to start/stop/play/restart etc on a song I may be practicing. It eliminates the need of using a keyboard or mouse which obviously you have to take your hands off of the guitar.

This is permitted by using simple software that emulates keystrokes/mouse clicks from MIDI CC or PC's sent from the MIDI foot controller. Those keystrokes/mouse clicks are set in the software. It's actually a very simple setup and easy to configure. Is it needed...not really, but makes for quick adjustments normally you have to touch the keyboard or mouse with.
Do we still need the interface to control and update them through Nixie? I was under the impression I could do it all through the PBC but I can’t save my changes. The Big Sky will edit on the fly but whenever I hit “write” to save the changes, nothing happens

I haven't made edit changes to the individual strymons lately. I think the last time I did use the PBC (just checked...yes, I used a laptop to edit the Strymon pedals through the PBC). Small edit changes, I sometimes just do right on the pedal. 100% I used M-Audio to do all initial firmware updates. The Timeline I purchased used and was one of the first ones out that the guy never used on a computer or updated and was very infantile in it's firmware revision. He sold it actually as it was too advanced for his needs. The Big Sky wasn't too old. I purchased that new maybe 1-2 years ago.

FWIW, check on Ebay, there's a new Uno for 25.00 shipped. I just looked. I'll send you the link privately as I don't want to post other peoples eBay transactions on here. Looks like whoever the guy is he's from NYC so disinfect the package before you touch it...lol

I recall a discussion awhile back with strymon connections and Nixie usage and the PBC...some people had success, others didn't. Using both the PBC editor and the Nixie editor as discussed earlier won't work together. This discussion was quite a while ago. I don't know if newer firmware updates Ron made functionality compatibility improvements or not. His software has progressed fantastically. I suppose you could try different MIDI cables? Check settings again in the Strymon or even reset the pedal and configure it. You do have midi forward turned on the PBC right?

Last edited:
I haven't made edit changes to the individual strymons lately. I think the last time I did use the PBC (just checked...yes, I used a laptop to edit the Strymon pedals through the PBC). Small edit changes, I sometimes just do right on the pedal. 100% I used M-Audio to do all initial firmware updates. The Timeline I purchased used and was one of the first ones out that the guy never used on a computer or updated and was very infantile in it's firmware revision. He sold it actually as it was too advanced for his needs. The Big Sky wasn't too old. I purchased that new maybe 1-2 years ago.

FWIW, check on Ebay, there's a new Uno for 25.00 shipped. I just looked. I'll send you the link privately as I don't want to post other peoples eBay transactions on here. Looks like whoever the guy is he's from NYC so disinfect the package before you touch it...lol

I recall a discussion awhile back with strymon connections and Nixie usage and the PBC...some people had success, others didn't. Using both the PBC editor and the Nixie editor as discussed earlier won't work together. This discussion was quite a while ago. I don't know if newer firmware updates Ron made functionality compatibility improvements or not. His software has progressed fantastically. I suppose you could try different MIDI cables? Check settings again in the Strymon or even reset the pedal and configure it. You do have midi forward turned on the PBC right?
Thanks for the link, I may consider that!
As for the settings - yes I have the PBC to forward and I have midi set to merge (or “on” in the case of the TL because the firmware is old). Are there any other things I need on/off?

Again, it’s just weird because it will adjust on the fly. I can click different presets or change settings on the BS and it will reflect on the pedal, but I can’t write anything to it and save my changes

Windows or Mac? You've set the preferences in the midi section of nixie to talk to input/output of PBC too right?

If windows, try running the app in administrator mode? You've tried using Bome's SYSEX transfer method with no luck (in admin mode)? Using the interface may be your next option. It's not the end of the world to spend 25.00. Troubleshooting alone is worth the 25.00 in my book.

Last edited:
Windows or Mac? If windows, try running the app in administrator mode? You've tried using Bome's SYSEX transfer method with no luck (in admin mode)? Using the interface may be your next option. It's not the end of the world to spend 25.00. Troubleshooting alone is worth the 25.00 in my book.
Mac, currently. I’m visiting family for quarantine and am not by my PC. Never tried it on my PC either though, so I can’t say for certain if it’s a computer issue or not. What’s the SYSEX transfer you’re talking about? The Librarian thing?

If you missed it...I just edited notes to make sure input an output are set to the PBC on the Nixie preferences.. Mac...ugh. I can't stand mac...old Macs were good..now they are overpriced PC components. I'd build a hackantosh before I'd ever waste money on a mac today. I just build a 9900k on water overclocked using a 2080TI card and M.2 sabrent rocket which transfers up to 4000mbps drive with 32g of memory for pennies on the dollar of what any mac I could buy that would try to match the performance of my setup. PC's and Mac's are only as good as the software program you're running. As time continues, Mac software is falling behind. And support (new software) are generally better. Mac users today are people that bought into it years ago and are afraid to switch thinking they still have something better (off my soap box now).

Use a PC when you can. Sysex, that's the method of transfer using the Bome's product. Manual update like that uses the Bohm's product listed in the link of the PDF file if you're downloading the update manually. Librarian is probably referenced this way in a "cough" Mac.

Last edited:
If you missed it...I just edited notes to make sure input an output are set to the PBC on the Nixie preferences.. Mac...ugh. I can't stand mac...old Macs were good..now they are overpriced PC components. I'd build a hackantosh before I'd ever waste money on a mac today. I just build a 9900k on water overclocked using a 2080TI card and M.2 sabrent rocket which transfers up to 4000mbps drive with 32g of memory for pennies on the dollar of what any mac I could buy that would try to match the performance of my setup.

Use a PC when you can. Sysex, that's the method of transfer using the Bome's product. Manual update like that uses the Bohm's product listed in the link of the PDF file if you're downloading the update manually.
Oh yeah, I don’t really like Macs. This laptop is actually theirs, I don’t even own one bc I do everything on my PC back home. 9700k, 1080ti SLI, 64GB ram, 2tb M.2, etc etc. - it’s a beast

I have midi out of the Nixie registering to PBC in and PBC our to Nixie in. I’m still not quite sure what the Bome product is - is that the creator of the SysEx Librsrian app for older updates or something entirely different? Sorry I don’t follow... new to using these programs and I just got my PBC a week ago

haha! Awesome. Sounds like you've got a good setup as well. Check out those new M.2 Rocket V4 drives. The new V4 drives are crazy fast.

Bohm software sorry...that's the name of the PC version. Mac go here and download this: http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/ Check the Mac software version depending how old the mac is....you may need to use an older version of this software.

when you open it (if you didn't try this already)
1) Set the preference for “Pause between played messages” to 0.
2)Drag the update files into the SysEx Librarian main window and select your MIDI interface in the pull down menu.
3)Select the firmware file and press play.

You should see the device state "loading" while it's updating.

Last edited:
Back