Controlling preamp and power amp with RG-16 question

MistressBand

Hi,
I wanted to know if I can switch channels on a Mesa Boogie Rectifier Recording Preamp and change the volume/tone AB settings on an ENGL e850 power amp with one RJM 1/4" interface cable plugged into my RG-16. There is a warning in the instructions not to connect multiple pieces of gear to the same interface cable. Currently I only have the Mesa hooked up, and it works perfectly. Before trying to hook up the ENGL (which also works by itself), I wanted to know if that will blow any of my amps up or is this safe to use?

Another option which also works is to use 2 of the loops to switch one of the amps, but I would prefer to keep those slots for pedals.

Thank you very much.

-Mita

PS, I can power the RG-16 with a voodoo lap pedal power 2 plus using 12 volts on the high output jack. Loop 7 no longer works properly at this lower current, but everything else does on the RG-16.

I definitely don't recommend splitting the 1/4-inch cable to multiple devices. What will happen depends on the devices in question, but you'll be connecting the grounds of the two footswitch jacks together. At best, it's going to give you a ground loop and you'll likely get hum. If one amp is doing something weird like putting a non-zero voltage on the switching jack, then you risk blowing something up.

The Pedal Power 2 Plus can't provide enough current to reliably power the RG-16. Only the Pedal Power AC has enough juice to do the job.

Ok, thanks for the info. I won't try to do that!

PS, my RG-16 is running just fine connected to the pedal power plus 2. Only thing that malfunctions is audio loop 7 (works fine when connected to proper power supply). Loops 1,2,3,4,5,6,8 work, as do the amp switches 1-8. I have it plugged into the high current output with the dip switch set to 12 volts. Have had it like that for a while, no problems yet (minus loop 7!)

You might get away with it, but you will have more trouble as you turn on more loops/switches (which causes more current draw). I think the PP2+ is protected against overload, so I think it'll shut down temporarily instead of melting down.

Back