Cycling Through Pedal Presets but only from specific PC number...

rlhinc

Relatively new with PBC, but loving it and getting much better with programming. Ingenious design!

There is one bit of button programming that I just can't figure out or find any info about. I need to program a button to scroll through presets on a particular MIDI pedal (Hologram Microcosm), but need to set the lower and upper limits of the PC numbers the button will scroll through. I ONLY want to scroll through the 'User Presets' on the pedal, and they are only PC 45-60. No matter what I try to do, the pedal always seems to want to start at PS 1, but I need it to start at PS 45!

Also, not sure what the RJM definition of 'cycling' versus 'scrolling' might be. I'd like to have the choice of moving through pedal presets with successive presses of the button. Alternatively, I'd like the option to just hold the button down and have the pedal to 'scroll' through the predetermined range of presets. How might that be accomplished?

Also, as I understand it, an 'IA Cycle' button will not do the trick, as I need to move through all 16 'User Presets' on the Microcosm.

Thanks for any help with this.

Robert

Last edited:
I don't have the pedal, but I'll take a stab at it since I'm bored and always like to learn things. First I'll assume you've setup a page dedicated to your chase pedal. if not, do it. Each pedal that uses midi is nice to have a dedicated page so you can refer to it during programming. It will help configure presets much easier down the road. Cycling is just that, it will allow you to move between up to 4 parameters...You can find Ron's YouTube examples for this.

I'll also assume you chose the pedal correctly as one of the devices as Ron configured the pedal and probably most messages out of the box for you. My stab at this would be...To start on a particular preset, you may try addressing on that chase bliss page as mentioned above using one button to send a message for that number you want to start with when depressed. I don't know if the pedal when turned on if you can program it to always start on a particular preset. If not, you'll have to have a button configured to send a message or action to send PC message X to move to the start of the PC you want.

If the pedal cannot auto-start always on the first user preset you want, creating a button to start at preset X approach may be as followed (again configured all I mentioned below on the CB page):

Button called i.e. "PCStart" (insert name you like. New action type, PC on device CB, off state: none, on state being the PC message associated with PC 45 that you want. That will jump the pedal to the start of the PC location. You could create a preset button to do this too by stating the PC number you want to move to.

Another button you'd call it "PC+", New action type PC on device CB, off state none, on state "up".
Another button you'd call it "PC-", new action type PC on device CB, off state none, on state "down".

Once you have these programed on that CB page, presets you can call up those button states easily...this is why a dedicated page for each midi pedal makes most sense. Alternately, you can or go directly to the CB page and control only that pedal via any of the buttons you've programmed.

I'm sure if Ron chimes or someone that has the pedal chimes in, they may have a better solution...above is where I'd start if I had the pedal.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply! I will attempt to do as you suggest, but wanted to write in case anyone else (Ron?) wants to chime in! I must've been tired when I wrote my original question, because the pedal in question is NOT the CB Pre Amp Mk.II. It's the Hologram Microcosm! That's why I need to move through presets at PC45 -60 because those are the User Preset PC numbers.

I've corrected my original post to avoid anyone wasting their time to correct my error.

Last edited:
Your welcome. There's many ways to configure things. There's so much you can do which is great. On the other hand, sometimes it makes programming a bit more challenging if you don't know what to do. It's like looking at a 30 page food menu when all you want is a plain burger. Personally, more options to me are always better.

You could create a PS+ button by choosing any button on the Microcosm page for PS+ button type bank up, preset up...whichever applies to the pedal...again don't have it. button mode normal, device PC choose device Microcosm, I'd turn off send on preset change, name it PS+ (whatever name you like) Change the on/off colors if you like.

Another button for PS+ would be the same as above but changing the button type to down.

All this typing, it's probably easier to take a screen shot and show you.

Unfortunately, there's no straightforward way to limit the range of the Device PC -/+ buttons or IA buttons that send PCs. The idea that Diezel has will help. You can use a button (as above) or a preset to automatically select preset 45 to get you into the correct range. This works for both IA and Device PC buttons. Device PC buttons have the advantage of displaying the currently selected PC number for the device when you press it.

Regarding buttons that repeat: certain types of buttons will automatically repeat when held, and certain ones don't. If you use Device PC-/PC+ buttons instead of IA buttons, they will automatically repeat when held. There are "first repeat" and "next repeat" global parameters that set how fast the repeats happen.

Thanks, Ron. I'll get back to work on trying to make this work. Thanks for great info, as always!

Back