Displaying the BPM in addition to flashing tempo?

greiswig

i swear, on an earlier firmware my tap tempo button was not only flashing, but was displaying the beats per minute count. I never figured out how I managed to do that, but..

...is there a way to do that on current firmware?

Hmm... it should do that. I'll check on it. I'm working on bug squashing right now, so the timing is good.

It will display tempo except when receiving tap tempo flashes from an Axe-Fx or Kemper. I've disabled that case because I think that trying to calculate the tempo from the flash messages is too inaccurate to be useful, but could investigate it further if it's an issue for people.

That would explain why I had it at one point. I'm curious why it would need to be calculated? The AxeFX doesn't have that BPM data to send out...only the flashing part?

And does this mean that if I disable the flashing parameter, it will go back to displaying the BPM, but only as they have been tapped into the GT, not as the AxeFX has interpreted it? (either averaged or last two)

The Axe-Fx doesn't send numeric BPM info to the controller, it only sends a message every time the LED should flash.

If you turn "Update on Preset Change" on, it changes the button to flash based on the settings on the GT and ignore what's coming from the Axe-Fx. This has its own problems in that it's possible for the displayed tempo to get out of sync with the Axe-Fx, but it will make the tempo display.

Ah...that rings a bell for me now that you mention it. Yeah, I think the "out of sync" part is the reason I was okay to abandon the numeric display. That's really too bad.

So it really is that inaccurate to calculate BPM based on the flashes? I have a metronome on my iPhone, and I was able to create an audible click from the GT's panel display of the tempo flashing, which that app properly interpreted in very short order. I know...it's a dedicated app. But...'twould be very nice!

Ok, it's worth a try. I'll see if I can sneak it in to the release I'm working on now and see how it works. It mostly seemed to be problematic when changing presets, but I suppose it should settle down once you're not changing anything.

Back