Does the "Out 5-6" loop split the signal?

deelydian

I'm in the process of re-wiring my pedalboard, and I'm wanting to run a stereo set up with my UA Ruby and Dream. I know this will be easy if I simply run all effect before the two UA pedals, but I'm also wanting to try out having the wet effects after the Ruby and Dream. In order to do this, I need to have a split signal going into the mono input of each pedal, then run both outs into a TRS plug back into the "In 7-10" jack of the PBC.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to my question already, since the manual says nothing about being able to run a TRS out of the "Out 5-6" jack to split your signal. However, I thought I would ask just in case I'm missing something. Is this possible, or do I need to get a buffered splitter to accomplish it?

Also, just to be sure I'm not missing something else, am I right in how I plan to go back into the "In 7-10" jack? As long as I take both signals from the Ruby and Dream and hook them up to a TRS plug, I can take that signal and go parallel stereo through all my wet pedals in loops 7-10, correct? With this setup, I'll be able to pan the Ruby and Dream left and right in the mix, correct?

Last edited:
The Out 5-6 jack is just a passive output, so how well it handles being split is going to depend on the output impedance of the last pedal that's currently active. Most pedals have a good low impedance output, some (especially older designs) have a not-so-good higher impedance output, and some pedals' outputs vary based on the output volume control!

Using a buffered splitter after Out 5-6 would remove any variability you might get when switching between pedals.

And yes, you can use a TRS insert cable to combine the two pedals into one TRS plug that goes to the In 7-10 jack. Make sure the button next to the jack is pressed in. This will allow it to take a TRS signal in, without trying to convert it from mono to stereo.

Thank you so much for the quick reply on a Saturday! That's uncommon, and I really appreciate it.

One quick little bit of clarification. You talked about the split of the signal possibly being problematic, due to the pedal before it. Then you mentioned using a buffered splitter, which I plan on doing, and that removing any variability I might get when switching between pedals. I take that to mean using a buffered splitter will solve the problem of a high impedance pedal in the last active loop before "Out 5-6." But I may be mistaken.

Is the signal splitting problem only possible if I don't have a buffered splitter?

Thank you so much for the quick reply on a Saturday! That's uncommon, and I really appreciate it.

One quick little bit of clarification. You talked about the split of the signal possibly being problematic, due to the pedal before it. Then you mentioned using a buffered splitter, which I plan on doing, and that removing any variability I might get when switching between pedals. I take that to mean using a buffered splitter will solve the problem of a high impedance pedal in the last active loop before "Out 5-6." But I may be mistaken.

Is the signal splitting problem only possible if I don't have a buffered splitter?
An impedance problem is the only problem I'd expect in that kind of configuration, and using a buffered splitter would definitely fix it.

Back