Exp pedal to turn loops On/Off?

Sp4zRX

Is this possible? I have tried every way I can think of.

I have an OD in Loop 1 and an H9 in Loop 4. I have an Exp Pedal override on this preset to control the H9.

What I’m trying to do:

Engage Preset with Loop 1 turned On; Loop 4 Off.
When I start moving the exp pedal I want it to turn on Loop 4 and let me control the H9; then when I pull it all the way back, I want it to turn Off Loop 4.

I would be fine with starting the Preset with both Loop 1 & 4 On but the H9 in a bypassed state. Then when I move the exp pedal it turns on the H9 and pulling exp pedal all the way back would bypass H9.

I believe Ron was showing exactly how to do this with an H9 in his ‘Mastering the Mastermind’ episode on expression pedals. I tried exactly like he did in the video and I can’t get the H9 to Activate or Bypass. And yes…. I setup the correct corresponding CCs in the H9s midi map.

Have you used the expression pedal switch actions? That's how I'd do it.
Yes. I have also gone in and made sure the pedal was calibrated and set the Switch Position, then read the settings from the PBC into the editor. Running editor v5.1.0 and Firmware v5.1.0.

Could it be my expression pedal? It otherwise works flawlessly controlling the H9 and a SA Collider. I am using a Fractal EV2 that I took apart and swapped the polarity.

My settings......

ExpPed2.png

I tried it with 'Invert Position Switch' and I tried reversing the Off and On CC values. I also tried both Activate and Bypass and the H9 doesn't respond to either but it still responds to the default Exp pedal parameters that I have set for each preset in the H9.

The settings seem correct, except that you probably want to change the on and off values. With the bypass CC, a value of 127 bypasses the pedal and 0 turns it on.

Do you have a MIDI interface you could use to see the output of the PBC? If so, you could download MIDI Monitor from snoize.com and view what's coming out.

One last thing - when setting the expression pedal switch position, it works best if you set the switch position a bit above the bottom of the pedal's travel, not right at the bottom.

The settings seem correct, except that you probably want to change the on and off values. With the bypass CC, a value of 127 bypasses the pedal and 0 turns it on.

Do you have a MIDI interface you could use to see the output of the PBC? If so, you could download MIDI Monitor from snoize.com and view what's coming out.

One last thing - when setting the expression pedal switch position, it works best if you set the switch position a bit above the bottom of the pedal's travel, not right at the bottom.
I downloaded the midi monitor. I have never used this program before so hopefully i did it right.

I set my midi ports on the PBC to use USB rather than midi for this test.

It seems there is something different right around the spot where I set the Switch Position but really, I have know idea what I am looking at.

midiout.png

I got it working. I think the issue was the fractal expression pedal.

I initially just wiped the PBC clean and started from scratch. I could get the Position Switch on the EV2 to activate/bypass the H9 but only when I had the Position Switch set near toe down. Even then it was triggering in weird spots. In the heel down position I couldn't get it to work and Midi Monitor showed hundreds of messages being sent every couple seconds, non stop, with the position switch in this setting.

I had a modded Ernie Ball VP2 expression pedal with polarity switches lying around that I connected to the PBC and set everything up from scratch. It works exactly as expected, THE FIRST TIME!

So yeah, its gotta be something with that EV2 expression pedal. Its weird because it has worked flawlessly for a long time without using the Position Switch function but after seeing the bombardment of midi messages that was happening Im scared to use it again. Sadly, the Ernie Ball won't fit on my board so now I guess I need to find a smaller compatible expression pedal.

Back