RESOLVED - External Switch Not Recognized

Sleestak

I'm having an interesting issue. For a number of years, I had a MMGT10, and used a pair of external switch boxes, each with two switches. Recently, I upgraded to the MMGT16, and decided to add these switches to my new setup. The MMGT16 is not recognizing the box plugged into Switch 1/2.
Here is what I've done to troubleshoot this problem
* It's not the cables. I have tested them individually, and they are both good. I swapped them between the boxes, and only the cable plugged into Switch 3/4 on the MMGT works.
* It's not the switch boxes. I have swapped the cables between the boxes, and whichever one is connected to Switch 3/4 operates as expected.

So, it seems to be something with the MMGT itself. What am I missing in my setup here?

The forum server won't allow me to upload my .RJS fils, as it's 3.2 MB.

Last edited:
If you've swapped both the cable and the switch boxes, then it may be that the Ext Sw 1/2 input isn't working. Is this a new GT?

Ok, one other thing to try is swapping external switch settings (drag one external switch over the other one to swap). If SW 1/2 still fail to work no matter what you swap (hardware or settings), then we'll have to look at a repair.

Ok, one other thing to try is swapping external switch settings (drag one external switch over the other one to swap). If SW 1/2 still fail to work no matter what you swap (hardware or settings), then we'll have to look at a repair.
I did try that when I was troubleshooting with the cable / box swap. The MMGT doesn't appear to recognize that anything is plugged into the switch 1/2 jack.

Following up on this thread so any others who experience a similar problem have a potential diagnostic approach. The short version of this post is USER ERROR. Here are details...

In testing with my switch boxes in my studio, I was certain that the problem was something to do with the way the MMGT16 was recognizing the switch 1 / 2 input. Ron (see thread above) recommended I send it in for diagnosis and repair, which I did. After bench testing my MMGT, Ron reported that it was functioning normally, and asked for more information about my external switches and cables. I explained what I had done to test the setup, and reported that everything worked fine with the either of my cables or switches were plugged into the switch 3 / 4 input, but not in the switch 1 / 2 input. Ron retested the MMGT and recommended he send it back and offered to help remotely troubleshoot with me.

And so... I received and reinstalled my MMGT16 on my pedalboard. Initially, it had exactly the same issue. Then I made an interesting realization... Because of the layout of my pedalboard, I didn't have space for my usual Neutrik right-angle TRS plugs, and went with some low-profile TRS plugs, and fabbed up a pair of cables in the lengths I needed.

The plugs test as fully functional with a multimeter They also both work with either of my switch boxes when plugged into the Switch #3/4 jack on the MMGT16. However, neither of them work in the Switch #1/2 jack, even when swapping the boxes. My (incorrect) assumption was the something was happening with the MMGT where it wasn't recognizing the otherwise fully-functional standard cables.
After Ron bench-verified that it's working normally, I decided to actually get a bit more science-y and determine if there was something about the plugs that was unusual... I measured them with my calipers, and the barrels are 6.28 millimeters, which is *slightly* smaller than the 6.35 millimeter standard. The switch #3/4 plug met the body of the MMGT16 with a bit of tension on the cable, since it had to route around another cable on the pedalboard. The switch #1/2 plug was basically tension-free. That little bit of sideways tension on the #3/4 plug ensured the slightly undersized barrel made contact with the MMGT connection points inside the jack. I'm guessing you use high quality jacks in the MMGT that are to spec, and the undersized plugs weren't making reliable contact unless tensioned. I clipped off the offending plugs and tossed them into the trash. Two sets of Neutrik plugs later, and all is well.

Stupid error, and totally mine. Ron did a great job of providing support on this, and it's another example of the amazing service provided by RJM. I will say it again: I couldn't do what I do without my MMGT16. It's the MIDI mothership.

Back