First Choice for Midi Controlled Pedal?

sjgam

Have a pure analog pedal chain right now and I just purchased the PBC without any midi controlled effects. Very tempted to use the midi control that PBC offers.

My pedals are listed below - pretty strong in drive/tone and modulation but only a single delay and use only spring reverb from fender amp.

So my thinking is my first dive into midi controlled pedals would be in the delay/reverb camp. And I have all 10 loops used up so would have to replace the Ibanez AD9 delay with my choice.

For an all-rounder single pedal for delay and reverb I am think the H9 might be my best bet for first midi-controlled pedal.

I love the demo's of the Strymon's but they seem to separate delay and reverb and modulation for their workstation type pedals.

Know hugely subjective and dependent on music tastes etc but any suggestions on this choice?

List of pedals (brackets for those that wont be in 10 loops)
  1. Ernie Ball Volume (dont need in loop)
  2. Boss TU2 Tuner (dont need in loop or take out and just use PBC tuner)
  3. Dec 2 Noise Reduction (deciding)
  4. RMC 3 Teese Wah (dont need in loop)
  5. Mutron III
  6. Mutron Octave Divider
  7. MXR Compressor (deciding)
  8. Fuzzy Lady Fuzz
  9. Tube Screamer
  10. Blues Driver
  11. CE2 Chorus
  12. MXR Phaser
  13. ADA Flanger
  14. Ibanez AD9 Delay
  15. Looper (Boss RC2) (dont need in loop)

H9 is a good choice. Eventide has some nice algorithms covering reverb and delay. The ability to share these algos with a second H9 (should you be so inclined) is another plus. I have the Strymons, and they are lovely, but the H9 delivers nicely in less space with substantial flexibility to get the sounds you want.

H9 is a good choice. Eventide has some nice algorithms covering reverb and delay. The ability to share these algos with a second H9 (should you be so inclined) is another plus. I have the Strymons, and they are lovely, but the H9 delivers nicely in less space with substantial flexibility to get the sounds you want.
Thanks for confirming. Fact you have the Strymons (my first choice except for space) and still impressed with H9 is useful. Yeah space with 15 pedals and now a pbc in a 30 by 28” board is a concern. 2nd H9 suggestion got me thinking. Could I use two h9s in series to only use one loop but still program both of them from pbc?

You could run them both in series in one loop and still control program changes separately via midi. You could then run that loop in series or parallel to your PBC signal chain. You’d give up some of the flexibility afforded by having them in separate loops, but if you’re looking for a way to put more modulation/wet effects in you stereo loops, that would be one approach.

You could run them both in series in one loop and still control program changes separately via midi. You could then run that loop in series or parallel to your PBC signal chain. You’d give up some of the flexibility afforded by having them in separate loops, but if you’re looking for a way to put more modulation/wet effects in you stereo loops, that would be one approach.
Cool forgot that the last four can be in parallel also. Well lets how my little ol Ibanez AD9 Analog Delay with Princeton switchable reverb and tremolo carries me once its built and then think if a swap out with with the AD9 is in order or I can stay true to analog only signal path. I think once I appreciate the midi power of the PBC I will go over to the digital/midi dark side with an H9.

I have the Keeley modded AD9 with an additional footswitch that allows me to put the delay into an infinite feedback loop - so there's my midi control with my toe for now.

Appreciate the insights.

Back