GT22 with the Kemper AMP strange behavior

grolski

Hello,

I just received my GT22. I connected this midi controller to my Kemper (with latest firmware) and I have a number of problems.
Only in performance mode I was able to download the preset into the GT22 however,

When I scroll through the up and down buttons it changes the setting already to the next amp. Model without me selecting any on the lower row of push buttons. This seems not write does it.

When I switch the tuner on it does not display anything on the GT22 what does not seem correct as well.

Am I doing something wrong or is there an incompatibility issue of hardware failure.
Please advise.
:roll:

This is something I will be fixing soon. Prior to Kemper firmware 2.6, we couldn't get the preset names of the next bank without also changing to a preset within that bank. Now that 2.6 is available, we can change the GT accordingly. I hope to have a fix in about a week.

As for the tuner, are you switching the tuner on using a button on the GT, or on the Kemper? It needs to be turned on on the GT for the GT to put up the tuner display.

Okay good to realize is it not me.

The tuner issue occurs when I use the midi controller. It gives a big “?” but does not respond. So it most likely something in the new firmware as well.
Please keep me posted when an update is available,

Must say a really impressive device the gt22. Just the light and colors make it worth buying 

How do you have the GT connected to the Kemper? And, when you press the tuner button on the GT, does the Kemper display the tuner on its own screen?

I have the Kemper connected bidirectionally in <=> out and out <=> in.
Switches of the effects seem to work fine. Preset browsing becomes spontaneous switching which is quite unwanted when wanting to look for the next setting when playing a song.
When tuning I see the screen on the Kemper switch to the tuner however A big question mark appear on the screen of the GT22.
Due to its current behaviour it is quite useless in its current working. So hoping for a quick update. I am forces to go back to the Behringer FC till a fix is available.

Thanks for the quick response on this forum. Appreciated!

regards
W.G.

Pics probably won't help - the question mark means that the GT doesn't think it's receiving data from the Kemper. I will try to check on this with the latest Kemper firmware tomorrow.

Please let me know (and the Kemper Amp user group) when you have more information on the Kemper and GT 22 issues.
An indication when a solution will be available that be very helpful.

thx!
Wilko

I just tried a GT running version 2.2.0 with a KPA running 2.7.3 - I was able to get the tuner to display correctly on the GT. I also was connecting the GT and KPA using two MIDI cables - no phantom power box.

Has anyone else seen any tuner display problems lately?

OK that leaves me with the question. Is your GT22 the same as my GT22 I bought from you direct 3 weeks ago
Tuner does not show and..... browsing through the amp implies unwanted switching of the amp. No browsing mode in fact. (performance mode / bi wire no phantom power latest firmware on both

The GT hardware has not changed since we started selling them.

When you switch presets, do the preset names and stomp effect names update correctly on the GT?

Okay back again.
I have tested and reset to factory default with the GT.
This is what is happening.
1)Connect on midi channel 16 on both devices
2) Go into set-up on the GT22 and select the Kemper and perform same instructions as in the youtube video om the Kemper and the GT. Assign buttons and load pre-sets.
3) Loading of preset only works in performance mode and stops at 125 presets. I need to interupt the proces cause nothing happens after 125 presets but it doesn't finish either.
4) No presets load when in browsing mode. Just does nothing. I need to cancel loading to get back to the rest of the settings
5) Tuner does switch Kemper into tuning mode however a big question mark appears in the main GT 22 screen. When in tuning mode I hear the sound over the headphones. which I believe doesn't happen when using the Behringer cheap FC controller. (Behringer works at least accordingly)

Questions remains
Am I doing something wrong? Is it the GT22 is it the GT22 is it me?
Has this been reported elsewhere?
Is the fix that you suggested available?

Ultimately ..... what are the returning policies and refund if this GT22 is not going to work with me? Until now, disappointment and frustration however once working correctly it must be a fantastic MIDI switcher but until now not for me :(

regards
Wilko Grolman

Ok, a couple of things:

- The video instructions are outdated. If you follow the Kemper-specific instructions in the Mastermind GT manual, you can set up the "Auto Names" feature in the Kemper's performance mode. Then, the names will appear automatically without the need to download them from the Kemper.

- Browse mode works only if you set up "Browse Mode Program Change" on the Kemper - you need to assign a MIDI PC to each preset on the Kemper.

- The tuner issue is puzzling. When you press the Tuner button on the GT, does the tuner display appear on the Kemper?

We have this working for many GT/Kemper owners, so I'm confident that we can get it working for you.

Okay thanks for the quick response as always.

I will check if it works as you said.

With the tuner switch on pedal it does switch on the Kemper but not on the main screen of the GT22.

Will be away for few days will check afterwards.

greetz
Wilko Grolman

Ok, when you get back, try the Auto Names setting. If that works ok, then communications are working fine. If the tuner is still not working at that point, we'll have to dig deeper.

Okay just back from travels.
Did factory reset on Mastermind

Setup according to your instructions and not the youtube video

All seems to work in performance mode.

Tuner does work now but when tuning the sound is not silenced. That would have been nice!

But am happy all seems to work now.

In browser mode still not working but that must be my ignorance. I looked at "Browse Mode Program Change" in the kemper manual but as such I was not able to find it yet.
If you have advise for the browse mode that be nice.
And please confirm that it is intended that the sound keeps going thru speakers during tuner.

Kind regards

When you're in the tuner, you'll see a setting called "Mute Signal" in the upper left part of the KPA screen. Turn it on, then the Kemper will mute whenever the tuner is turned on.

In the latest reference manual on the Kemper website, you can find info on "browse mode program change" on page 99.

Thanks for the quick response. Am happy with the GT22. Works well. Only strange thing is whenever once changes through the "pages" while in the performance setting is does change the setting. So once cannot browse through the pages while still playing a song. During one song the player can use 5 pre-sets without having to go through different pages. This is the only minor issue still remaining. Hopefully you'll be able to address this in the future.
Thanks for the great support!

This is due to how the KPA handled performance mode. Changes have to be made on both the KPA and the GT to allow you to scroll through banks/performances without loading a preset. Kemper has put in their change in 2.7.something, and the upcoming GT 2.3 firmware will fix things on our side. Expect to see the fix in the upcoming week.

Back