How to eliminate the need for more memory in the controller

Mr.E

This post is about my request for more (or dynamic) memory.
I got some reactions from people asking me why I need that much memory or that many presets but I don't feel I should explain myself.
I need it. Period.
And I feel a controller in the price range of the LF or RJM should be able to provide it, considering the price of memory.

But I've been thinking about how a controller and the editor could (or should) work.

Lets first, to avoid confusion, talk about patches and presets.
In the Axe-Fx, a preset is just that. A collection of blocks. But these are sometimes called patches (although in the manual of the Axe-fx there's no mention of this word). But for the sake of clarity, I'll call them patches.
On the controller, a preset can be a patch of the Axe-Fx with one or more of the blocks turned on.
So for one patch on the Axe-Fx, you can have multiple presets on the controller.
This is the reason you can easily run out of presets.
There are users who used all or almost all three banks.
I like to make a preset for each song with the tempo for that song, specfic settings for harmonizers, delays, etc...
a sort of an initialising preset for that song.
I play over 250 songs.
Do I have to load them all into the controller?
Of course not.
But the way the editor and the controller work now, you can only have the same number of presets and songs in the editor as you can have in the controller.
The controller is a means to organize your performance and you don't need that many presets or songs.
The editor on the other hand should be able to store an unlimited number of presets and songs.
And you should be able to load only what you need.
The editor would include a sort of databank.
This way the editor should be able to synch with all the patches in the XL (768) but you would only be able to load 640 in the GT.
Or less if you need presets for songs.

Makes sense?

Re: How to eliminate the need for more memory in the control

I will look into that. Allowing the editor to store more presets, setlists and songs than the controller seems like it would be a good idea. We'd just need a way to select which songs, presets, etc. are to be copied to the GT and which are left out.

I've definitely heard your request for more memory. You're right that memory is cheap these days, but a memory upgrade is more than paying for a new chip - there will need to be some firmware changes, and we'll have to implement some kind of upgrade path for existing controllers.

I'll be increasing the song and setlist limits for all users in a future release - we won't need a memory upgrade for that. Increasing presets will require a memory upgrade. With the advent of page-per-preset, hold and cycle buttons, each preset requires four times as much memory as it used to.

Re: How to eliminate the need for more memory in the control

Brilliant Ron.
Thanks for pointing that out to me.
I understand that it's easier to install more memory when designing a new unit than adding it afterwards.
That's why I thought of the "database" solution.
This way the editor would be the extended memory and the controller the local memory.
Presets, songs, setlists and whatnot would have to be moved to the first positions if they are to be held in the controllers memory.
For example, there might be thousand presets in the editor, but only the first 640 are transfered to the controller.
Problem solved.
Thanks again for listening.

Back