iPod/iPad MIDI Interface

Bozie

Hi everyone,

iPad/iPod can receive MIDI program change messages via a number of interfaces (I like the iRig MIDI as you can charge an i-device while you use it). This could work well with the Mastermind as a display for the preset selected.

It wont make the Mastermind into a GT by any measure but it does mean that users like me who have multiple banks for a wide range of gigs would have names and descriptions instead of numbers.

Here is the issue: I can get the interface no problem, it is the app I need - something simple that just responds to PC messages by displaying a name and some info. I have looked far and wide and found many cool apps that send PC's to keys and samplers but that is all.

Anyone found the app I want hiding away somewhere?

Having hunted high and low I have found an effective app for doing this:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistma ... /help.html

I contacted Arlo and asked him if it would work in the way I expected. Here is his reply:

Is this the only thing you want to use the app for? It could do this ... here's how you'd set it up:

1) In Set List Maker, navigate to Settings > Remote Control > MIDI Program Messages and set Program Change to MIDI Program Number.
2) Navigate to Songs and add a song for each program change. In the song edit window, enter program number and set the title to the name you want to display.
3) Navigate to Shows and add a show, then add all your songs to it.
4) Tap Perform below the show. Now your names will appear in large text, and whenever you send a program change into the app, the selected name will be highlighted.

Usually people would use this kind of setup to display lyrics or other info for a song; you'd just be using it to display the song titles, which are really the program change names.

Cheers,
-Arlo

So... If you have an iPad and want to see the names of your presets in the Mastermind rather than numbers you can do it with an off the shelf adaptor, a DIY MIDI splitter cable and an app (the iPad side of the split must be 5 pin of course).

You could call up lyrics and song notes with each preset as well, this aspect would also work with the GT. Great for a predetermined set list...

Boom.

Back