limit in length sysex message?

Mr.E

I'm trying to set up some sysex messages to change the Key, Scale, Voice1 and Voice2 of the harmonizer and Pitch block.
But if I want to enter the code for the voice interval, I can't enter the last characters.
Is there a limit in length?
This is the code
F0 00 01 74 06 2E 19 01 05 00 00 00 20 0C 04 18 F7

Yes, they're limited to 16 bytes. But, you can use two or more in a row to get more.

How would I go about entering this sysex in two rows?
F0 00 01 74 06 2E 19 01 05 00 00 00 20 0C 04 18 F7
It's 17 bytes
Wouldn't that also be a waste?

The Axe-Fx uses a lot of 17 byte messages.
IMHO a limit in sysex length is not necessary.
A check on start with FO and end with F7 would be.
Also, instead of a single line, a sysex message could be a couple of lines.
This way, you could combine multiple messages into one.

Last edited:
Set up one message with F0 00 01 74 06 2E 19 01 05 00 00 00 20 0C 04 18, one with F7. What's titled "Sysex" really should be called "Raw MIDI data", because the GT makes no attempt to verify the data, it just sends it. The message doesn't need to be a complete Sysex message, or even a valid MIDI message - at least, as far as the GT is concerned. The device on the other end would be unhappy with invalid messages, of course.

Yes, it's somewhat inefficient for storage, but I don't use variable length structures in the GT in order to keep operations as fast as possible. If all data structures are fixed in size, the GT doesn't have to search for data, it can calculate its location with a simple multiplication operation.

So there's no chance the length could be increased then? This would make things a lot easier.

In looking at it, there is enough padding in there to allow increasing the sysex size. Would 48 bytes per Sysex be enough?

I think so.
I found some messages that are two lines. I think it has to do if you want to set a parameter in the Y-part of a block.
But I'm not sure if they are 16 or 17 byte long.
So I think 48 would be good.
But just in case

Thanks again for this.

Ok, this one takes a little more work, but will look at it for the next release that isn't just bug fixes.

Back