MASTERMIND LT FIRMWARE / EDITOR 4.7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
Here's firmware and editor 4.7.0, which makes a few small fixes and adds new device support.

FEATURES:
  • New device support:
    • Fractal FM9
    • Free The Tone pedals (5 of them)
    • Suhr microMIDI and Discovery
    • Strymon Zelzah
    • Sound Sculpture ABCadabra, Abyss, Volcano
    • Wampler Terraform
  • Fixed a bug in Axe-Fx III Poll State where it sometimes failed to scan for effect block states
  • Fixed the default setting for buttons that control Axe-Fx III effect blocks, so that they automatically sync with the Axe-Fx
  • Fixed independent function switches so that they power up in the user-specified default state instead of always being off on powerup.
TO UPDATE FIRMWARE:

PLEASE DON'T DO A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE RIGHT BEFORE YOUR BIG GIG!

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 4.5 or earlier, your Mastermind will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Copy the file to a USB flash drive, and remove any other .rjf files from the flash drive.
- Eject the drive from your computer.
- Power on the Mastermind while holding the 1 and 3 buttons.
- Keep holding until you see "Mastermind Bootloader" appear on the screen.
- Now plug the flash drive into your Mastermind. The update should begin and will take a few minutes to complete.

-OR-

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 4.5 or earlier, your Mastermind will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Use the Transfer / Update Firmware menu option to update the Mastermind. This works with the PBC/6X and PBC/10s made after March 2019.

Firmware: https://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MM470.zip

Mac Editor: https://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MastermindEditor-4.7.0.dmg
PC Editor: https://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MastermindEditor-4.7.0.zip

Manual: https://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMLT/Mastermind LT Manual-4.2.pdf

Last edited:
I have a Mastermind LT/7 and a Fractal FM9. I have been trying to integrate the LT/7, Axe III and the FM9. I upgraded the firmware on the LT/7 to 4.7.0 and installed the newest editor for the LT/7. The new editor does not recognize the LT/7 and the firmware 4.7.0 does recognize the FM9, the LT/7 won't attach to the FM9.

So basically I'm back to where I started. I had to uninstall 4.7.0 and install 4.6.1 to get the Editor to recognize the LT/7. That worked. But of course, the LT/7 now won't recognize the FM9. What I would like to do is get the Axe III and FM9 to be slaves to the LT/7. I realize the FM9 may not be for primetime as the last firmware update beta v. 2.0 didn't go over too well.

Any chance you could look at the firmware 4.7.0 and the latest editor 4.7.0 and see what the problem is?

4.7.0 works fine with LTs here. Are you running MacOS or Windows? Which version? What error message are you getting, exactly?

Windows 10 pro. The error message was not from windows, it was from the 4.7.0 editor. It said it could not connect to device.

Remember the LT/7 was not in the device list of LT/7 after upgrade to 4.7.0. I tried GT28, GT16, effect gizmo...would not find LT/7.

As soon as I deleted 4.7.0 and installed 4.6.x, it found the LT/7 right away with no cabling changes. But the LT/7 was in the device list of 4.6.x but not 4.7.0.

So naturally, the FM9 would not be seen at all.

Remember the LT/7 was not in the device list of LT/7 after upgrade to 4.7.0. I tried GT28, GT16, effect gizmo...would not find LT/7.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Which device list are you referring to? If you're referring to the list in the editor's Devices tab, the LT should not be listed there, only the devices that you're trying to control with the LT.

Also, do you have another MIDI related app that's trying to connect to the LT at the same time? Windows has trouble with situations like that sometimes.

No other MIDI devices.

In the drop-down list for choosing what device is the main controller, in editor 4.7.0 there was no LT/7 in the list. The manual for the LT/7 said to use the effect gizmo as a stand in. (Manual may be obsolete). I also tried MMGT 22, 16 and 10. The firmware 4.7.0 also did not have the LT/7 in the list of RJM devices. So, the editor would not attach to the LT/7.

The LT/7 also could not read the AXE III preset list which it could with 4.5.x which is where I started from.

When I deleted editor 4.7.0 and installed 4.6.x (Not sure which one), the editor had the LT/7 in the dropdown list, and when chosen, connected to the LT/7. Then the LT/7 found the Axe III and pulled down the preset list. Confirming that they could communicate.

I'm leaving out the FM9 for now because it's new and all the bugs aren't worked out of it yet, but I would like to integrate it in some time in the future.

When you downloaded the 4.7.0 editor, did you accidentally download the Mastermind GT editor instead of the Mastermind editor?

I guess that's possible. I went to the LT/7 column.

One thing I noticed...when I went to delete 4.7.0 editor to try 4.6.x, Win 10 removed it from the start menu, I installed 4.6.x and ran it and 4.7.0 came up. I had to go to the program file folder and delete it manually. Then I re-installed 4.6.x and it worked.

Maybe I should go and make sure I had the right one in the beginning. There was a lot of confusion in the beginning and I was re-wiring and moving stuff around trying to get it to all to work.

I'm also thinking about bringing a PBC/10 into this rig because I've dusted off some of my old pedals and bringing them back into the mix. Automating them would be a treat.

Ok, I uninstalled the editor and installed the LT/7 firmware 4.7.0. Installed the 4.7.0 editor and it 'sees' the LT/7. I've got Axe III on channel 2 and FM9 on channel 3. The LT/7 can change presets on the Axe III, it changes, it also changes the preset in the FM9. That will work fine for now.

But, what is still happening is when I go to the 'Get preset names' for the Axe III, it doesn't run. Just like yesterday. When I monitor the Axe III screen I see the preset go from preset 000 to preset 001 and then back to preset 000, and stalls.

I have no clue what is happening here.

Now the 4.7.0 editor will not connect to the LT/7 with 4.7.0 firmware. Tried restarting all devices including the PC. And no luck.

The LT/7 still changes programs on the Axe III and FM9, but it won't get presets from the axe III and now the editor isn't seeing the LT/7.

This is very frustrating.

Do you have the LT connected to the Axe-Fx with two MIDI cables? It needs to be connected to both the MIDI input and MIDI output of the Axe-Fx in order to use bidirectional features like Get Preset Names.

Yes, I'm using two cables. I tried changing cables, swapping them around, disconnecting the FM9 (which connected to the Axe III's MIDI thru port.

Nothing worked. Also, the 4.7.0 editor stopped talking to the LT/7 with 'unable to connect to device' error message. So it's not just MIDI.

It's still changing presets and scenes on the Axe III but that's all it does.

Could the LT/7's memory be full? Just grasping at straws, I don't know what else to do.

Tried it again this morning with fresh start on all devices, no joy.

The LT's memory usage is fairly static. It does use a bit more as you add more devices to the device list, but not much.

It would be a good test to try the LT with a different computer and the 4.7 editor, just to test another variable.

Can you send me your current settings file? If you can't get the editor to work, you can save the settings to a flash drive on the LT then move the flash drive to your computer to copy the file.

I just thought of something - try disabling the FM9 in the LT's device list. The fastest way to do this is set manufacturer to None. See if Get Preset Names works then. If it does, you might be able to get both working together by putting FM9 first in the Devices list, and Axe-Fx III later in the list. The Fractal handling code wasn't written with more than one connected device in mind.

I guess it's also worth trying to see if USB starts working when the FM9 device is disabled. I didn't think that we were that close on memory, but Fractal device support does take up more memory than any other device. It's possible that having two Fractal devices could be triggering a previously unknown bug.

Don't have another computer.

After rethinking the increased complexity of the LT/7 and considering adding PBC/10 I've just decided to shelve LT/7 as I did before.

It's very difficult to program, There's too many inconsistencies, too much bizarre behavior, editor may/may not work, Owners manual is not very helpful and seems obsolete.

Sorry but I'm just going to bail on this project. Just too time consuming for a MIDIot like me.

This morning I did a factory reset, essentially clearing everything. then tried to get the editor to see the LT/7...nothing. Immediately said 'no device found'. This simply means the editor lost the ability to either find or even look for the LT/7. My USB is not broken. I'm beginning to suspect that I have a defective LT/7 because after the factory reset I tried to go back to firmware 4.6.x and the LT/7 wouldn't even see the firmware file on the USB drive! That's on the LT/7 alone. But my computer saw it just fine.

The LT/7 did get presets and scenes from the Axe III after reset and it would change presets on the Axe II and FM9.

I'm thinking something is bogus with the USB on the LT/7. Everything else is working as it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back