MASTERMIND LT Programming to toggle between PRESETS and PLAYLIST mode

EVHGuy1111

Hello,
I'm new to RJM but after a week of watching the Mastermind tutorials and getting advice on here and I'm really picking it up.

MY GEAR:
•EVH 515OIII 5Ow 6L6
•RJM MEGX
•RJM MASTERMIND LT

I've figured out the best setup I'd like to do but I can't seem to find info on the best way to do it. I understand banks and pages and playlist mode (pressing buttons 1+3 and navigating to a playlist)... but I would like to have the function button toggle between PRESETS and PLAYLISTS mode.

I have no need for stomp-boxing or adding loops (though in my programming design below will call for secondary functions on buttons to add a pedal to the existing preset being used).

MY INTENDED PROGRAMMING:

FUNCTION BUTTON that toggles between PRESET and PLAYLISTS modes.

WHEN IN PRESET MODE: Screen setup is standard and displays "Page Name" above and "currently selected Preset" below
Buttons 1, 2, 3, 4 will load presets and have assigned colors green, blue, red, aqua respectively
Bank Up Button will bank up through presets
Bank Down Button will bank down through presets
Each button 1-4 will have secondary momentary functions to add a specific loop to the currently selected preset

WHEN FUNCTION BUTTON IS TOGGLED: Screen setup changes and displays "Song Name" above and "currently selected song Preset" below
Buttons 1, 2, 3, 4 will load presets and have newly assigned colors of blue, yellow, blue, purple, white respectively (so I can tell by color at glance
Bank Up Button will cycle through playlists, songs and be able to select a song then cycle back to playlists
Bank Down Button will cycle through playlists, songs and be able to select a song then cycle back to playlists
Each button 1-4 will have secondary momentary functions to add a specific loop to the currently selected preset

NOTE: I have figured out how to have presets named one way for preset mode and named another way for songs (Intro, Verse, Chorus...) I first made all my presets and named their components. Then I duplicated them 7 times and renamed them as "Intro", "Verse", "Chorus", etc. with the | dividers. This way I can easily find the presets I want to use in the software and assign them to a song but they will be labeled as the song part name and still have them called the preset name (effect name/amp channel/etc.) in PRESETS mode. I know technically they are different presets on the software end but functionally they are the same presets that will have different names in different modes.

AS OF NOW: I have some of the functionality I am looking for. I have the "Function" button set as a setup mode button and can navigate to setlists... not exactly how I want it because setup mode is such small text but if I have to live with it I have to live with it. I can select songs and then select presets of the song and they change as desired but the top of the page still says "PRESETS" and doesn't give me the current song name once I select a song preset as they cycle. Not sure if I have to make a "setlist" page or some setting has gone wonky but I really would like to see which song I am on as intended based on song/setlist tutorials I've watched.

As for the programming I'm aiming for: I'm not sure but I suspect I will have to set up individual pages for the button color/momentary function changes, set up a cycle button on the "Function Button" and tell each step to send to a specific page...

But maybe I'm wrong about all this. I've experimented but I can't seem to get the PRESETS and PLAYLISTS to toggle the way I'm thinking. Perhaps there is no way to toggle between PRESETS and PLAYLISTS modes this way and I'll just have to use the current system of 1+3 buttons and navigate through the menu.

Any advice how I might set up what I'm trying to do (then I should be able to go to town experimenting and fine tuning it) would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
To switch between preset/bank and song modes, use a System / Setlist action. You can specify a particular setlist, or you can specify None, which switches you back to preset/bank mode. Setting up a button to switch between these will switch modes and switch what the bank buttons do. Please note there's no way currently to use the bank buttons to scroll through setlists.

To switch between preset/bank and song modes, use a System / Setlist action. You can specify a particular setlist, or you can specify None, which switches you back to preset/bank mode. Setting up a button to switch between these will switch modes and switch what the bank buttons do. Please note there's no way currently to use the bank buttons to scroll through setlists.
Right on.

are there any plans to update and allow for scrolling through setlists with the bank buttons in the future? Is it prudent to request this feature in the requests subforum?

Also, what's the best way to add the secondary momentary action to a button as I described above? I understand how to add a secondary action... but how to I have that secondary action ADD a pedal or effect device to the current preset rather than replace it?

Thanks!

When you say secondary function, do you mean when the button is pressed a second time, or when the button is held for some length of time? And when you say momentary - do you mean that the function turns off as soon as the button is released?

And yes, post feature requests in the wish list section, I definitely would not be able to find it in this forum.

When you say secondary function, do you mean when the button is pressed a second time, or when the button is held for some length of time? And when you say momentary - do you mean that the function turns off as soon as the button is released?

I mean secondary as in: pressed second time
Momentary: function is added when pressed and turns off when the button is let off.

We don't specifically support that. It's going to be a bit of a stretch, but I'm pretty sure it could be done.

- Preset 2nd Press needs to be set to IA
- Every preset is going to need a local page, which is how you'll define what the preset button does on the 2nd press
- Use CC Momentary actions on the button, which will give you the "turn off on release" behavior

We don't specifically support that. It's going to be a bit of a stretch, but I'm pretty sure it could be done.

- Preset 2nd Press needs to be set to IA
- Every preset is going to need a local page, which is how you'll define what the preset button does on the 2nd press
- Use CC Momentary actions on the button, which will give you the "turn off on release" behavior
Right on. I figured that was the idea...

But I stress: will this setup ADD a pedal/effect/device to an existing, currently selected preset? Or will it just overide/replace the existing, currently selected preset?

Thanks so much again!

It depends on what actions you add to the button. If you follow the above instructions and only add CC actions to the button, then it will just turn on the selected effects without affecting the rest of the preset.

It depends on what actions you add to the button. If you follow the above instructions and only add CC actions to the button, then it will just turn on the selected effects without affecting the rest of the preset.
Right on! Makes sense... I mean I'm still learning MIDI lingo so I probably looked like a dope questioning PC and CC but as you explain it it makes sense.

I'll let you know how it goes.

THANKS!

Back