MIDI Cable Question - related to PBC 6X

NickyB47

I have two pedalboards that I am looking to link up via MIDI. The first board is all mono and has an RJM PBC6X.

Board 1: All Mono with RJM PCB/6X:
- 3 pedals with five-pin MIDI
- 1 pedal with TRS MIDI

Board 2: All Stereo
- 1 pedal with five-pin MIDI
- 4 pedals with TRS MIDI
- 1 Source Audio pedal with TRRS MIDI
- 1 Boss Pedal with their 1/8 Mini TRS MIDI.

What is the easiest way to get this MIDI chain connected?

I was thinking on Board 1, do 5-pin MIDI cable chain, and then end it with a Chase Bliss MIDI Box. One of those Midi Box Outs goes to the lone TRS Midi Pedal, and then another goes to Board 2. I think this is the easy part.

Then, I'm running MIDI TRS from Board 1 to Board 2 (there are TRS jacks on the side of my boards). I like that idea because it is a more rugged cable to constantly plug/and unplug than using a 5-pin.

On board 2 I would do something like a TRS to 5-pin adapter from the jack, then to a Morning Star Midi Box. From the Morning Star Midi Box, I would use appropriate adapters to accommodate the 5 pin, the source audio, and the boss (and of course, more TRS for the 4 TRS Midi pedals).

Does any such Midi box exist that is like a Morning Star MIDI Box, but with a TRS in? The Morning Star only has 5 pin MIDI in. I feel like I'm just going back and forth between 5 pin and TRS a ton with the above setup. Would there be latency or weirdness with the multiple back and forth adapters mentioned?

Please let me know what you think. Happy to clarify anything as well. Thank you, and I really appreciate everyone here!

Best,

I don't know of any MIDI box that has a TRS input, but I'm sure I haven't looked at them all. I wouldn't expect any latency or any other issues with conversion back and forth. All you're doing is changing the connector type.

Back