Midi CC's and status

Jagstang

Hi there.

My amp gizmo is arriving tomorrow but I'm just having a think about how I'm going to set up my floor pedal ( TC G-System).

My plan is to use Midi CC messages to enable / disable the amps fx loop, solo and reverb functions without leaving a patch as well as doing the typical storing of settings for program changes.

My question is this, if I have a button set up on the G-System to handle for instance the amps solo feature using midi CC can it be aware of the gizmo's current status? For example, if I select a patch with solo selected on the gizmo, is there a way to get visual feedback of that on the G-System?

I'm guessing not with the single midi lead but I didn't know if the gizmo can also send midi data back to the G-system.

many thanks

Paul.

You're right, there's no return path for the G-system to hear about changes on the Gizmo. Unfortunately, that's one limitation we can't really work around.

Thanks Ron

The amp gizmo turned up today and it works a treat, so much faster than the relays on the G-system, it actually feels like my feet are in contact with the amp again rather than having to think about the lag that happens with the G's relays.

The combination of program change settings on the gizmo and cc messages for loop, solo and reverb works well too, the only problem is that if I forget to store the settings on the gizmo things like the loop will switch off and then on again quickly because the program stored on the gizmo may not have that feature selected but the G-system does.

Is there way to set the non channel change functions (solo, reverb, loop & tuner mute) so that they have no default state in patch changes? That would make it possible to control all of those features from the G-system without fighting the settings on the gizmo.

The reason I would prefer that method is because I sometimes I decide to use reverb in a patch and can quickly store that with the foot controller, with the current method I would also have to remember to re-store the gizmo too, which will be sitting in my rack behind the amp somewhere.

It's no biggie, just interested really. Really happy with the Amp Gizmo even with the current config.

I just have to find a couple of small bolts to rack it up now, I was a little surprised that none were included. Do you have spec of the bolts needed?

Many thanks

Paul.

I've sorted the bolt problem, I took the amp gizmo to a few local engineering companies and finally tracked down a couple that fitted (M3 20mm) in my case although shorter probably would have been better, those were all they could find. There seemed to be enough room for the 20 mm bolts as they went in without any resistance.

Is that likely to cause any internal problems Ron?

Many thanks

Paul.

There's plenty of clearance in the case (no components near the mounting holes and over 40mm between the bottom and lid), so the screws you have are fine.

Program recall can be disabled for the entire Amp Gizmo (by turning on GCX mode), but at this time there's no way to disable program recall for some switches and not others.

Thanks Ron, much appreciated.

I tried the GCX mode approach and although programming and functionality wise it works fine with the G-System sending all of the required CC messages to select a channel and the appropriate functions it's slower than using program changes, almost back to the point of using the G-systems relays. I'm sure this is because of a delay in the G-system sending out the CC's and not the amp gizmo though. There's no delay in using buttons with defined CC's so it's likely to be that the CC's sent with patch changes are not sent out as fast as the program changes.

Very pleased with the program change approach though, thanks for an excellent bit of kit.

Many thanks

Paul.

Back