MIDI debugging mechanism in app

tandrewnichols

I think it would be helpful if, in the editor, you could toggle debugging on and then click on buttons to see what MIDI messages would be sent (maybe in a separate window or something), with channel, PC or CC number, CC value, and (most helpfully) what button triggered it (or why that message was sent). Sometimes you see unexpected behavior and it's because you left "Send on Preset Change" on on a button you didn't mean to, and finding those errors is always really tedious.

I assume the main complication would be that you wouldn't want this behavior in the device (since there'd be nowhere to monitor the messages), so you'd have to compile differently for the editor vs the device (or maybe that already happens, I don't know). I know I've mentioned before there are some other possible benefits of doing that, so this is, I guess, another reason to consider it.

I've been using MIDI Monitor on my Mac to debug MIDI flows on my PBC/10. To debug, I go into the editor and change MIDI Out to USB for all the MIDI devices I want to monitor. Then, as you can change presets and do other things on the PBC, you see the MIDI messages sent by the PBC in MIDI Monitor. Doesn't give you the "why" that you want (I agree that would be super helpful!), but it helps me out in debugging from time to time.

Back