Midi Forward While Using Nixie

Mkuebbeler

So I have the PBC going out to the Bigsky, Timeline, Mobius and back in to the PBC. Midi Foward is checked. When I open up Nixie, all I see is the Mobius and the Timeline. I can't, for some reason see or detect the BigSky. I know everything is connected right because its a clear path and I can still scroll through presets on the PBC. Any thoughts what might be happening here?

My guess is that the global settings aren't set quite right on the Big Sky. Run through the settings listed under the "Can I connect multiple Strymon pedals to Nixie" questions here and see if that does it.

Also try, temporarily connecting the PBC directly to the Big Sky MIDI In/Out. Maybe the BigSky needs a firmware update, and removing the other pedals may help Nixie find and download to the pedal. The pedal might not have Nixie compatible firmware installed. Just a guess, but worth a try...

Found an issue now. Turns out if I have MIDI Forward enabled, and perform a write changes to device the change takes place. The ISSUE now is if I try and do any further editing, the Editor fails to respond upon trying to write changes and I have to force it closed. Bug maybe?

I'm assuming you mean the Mastermind Editor? If so, you cannot have the Mastermind Editor and Nixie active at the same time. They get confused with all the MIDI messages going back and forth and freeze up. Personally I recommend naming Strymon presets in Nixie, then editing them on the pedal itself so that you can have the Mastermind Editor up.

I’m using Nixie and the Editor separately. What I’m noticing is if I enable MIDI Forward and write the change, the change will take place in the editor. After that, any editing (in the editor) I do can’t utilize write the change. The editor hangs and fails to respond.

I’m using Nixie and the Editor separately. What I’m noticing is if I enable MIDI Forward and write the change, the change will take place in the editor. After that, any editing (in the editor) I do can’t utilize write the change. The editor hangs and fails to respond.

I don't have that issue....mine works perfectly. Which version of Nixie are you using? There was a beta version, and now there is a "public" version. Not sure the differences, as they look basically the same...but maybe something to do with that?

I don't have that issue....mine works perfectly. Which version of Nixie are you using? There was a beta version, and now there is a "public" version. Not sure the differences, as they look basically the same...but maybe something to do with that?

It appears unrelated to Nixie. I don’t have any issues in Nixie now that I fixed the global settings. Only happens while in the PBC editor.

It appears unrelated to Nixie. I don’t have any issues in Nixie now that I fixed the global settings. Only happens while in the PBC editor.

That doesn’t mean that an old version of Nixie isn’t what is causing the midi to jack all up and not work right when you go back to the editor.

That doesn’t mean that an old version of Nixie isn’t what is causing the midi to jack all up and not work right when you go back to the editor.

Ill have to look into that. For reference, the file is attached. If you forward midi, and write the change, it goes through. Any other changes I make, Im unable to write the change. Maybe something else is set wrong. Im not sure.

Attachments

• PBC 9.6.18.rjs
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Ill have to look into that. For reference, the file is attached. If you forward midi, and write the change, it goes through. Any other changes I make, Im unable to write the change. Maybe something else is set wrong. Im not sure.

I took a look but see nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe you're already doing this, but when I use the 2 programs, I literally close the editor, use Nixie....close Nixie (NOT minimize....literally close the program) then use the editor. I do have communication problems when I try to leave one open while using the other. I'm on a PC instead of a MAC, and it does not like having them both open.

Is that what you're doing? What version editor? I'm using the newest...not sure if that matters or not either.

I took a look but see nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe you're already doing this, but when I use the 2 programs, I literally close the editor, use Nixie....close Nixie (NOT minimize....literally close the program) then use the editor. I do have communication problems when I try to leave one open while using the other. I'm on a PC instead of a MAC, and it does not like having them both open.

Is that what you're doing? What version editor? I'm using the newest...not sure if that matters or not either.

Same as you. Only using 1 at a time and closing the other completely. Also on a PC. I just got the latest version of Nixie, but haven’t tried it yet.

I can’t see how Nixie is the issue when it’s not even being used. I still think it’s the midi forward, but that’s just me.

I'm with Craig - I've never had this happen either, and I don't see anything obviously out of place in your editor. I guess I'd just go through and make sure you have the most recent firmware on everything, and double check to make sure the MIDI settings on all the Strymon pedals is as it is supposed to be. There's a lot of settings that have to be just right for this to work, and (speaking from experience), it's really easy to miss one.

I don't think it's the cause, but I did notice that your MIDI clock is set to Auto. I'd recommend setting it to Master. I've had issues with my delay tempo going crazy before I made that change, and I'm pretty sure I remember that happening to others here as well.

I've attached my current settings file if you want to take a look. I use a Timeline and Bigsky and everything works perfectly in the Editor and Nixie for me. Maybe you'll find something different there that I missed?

Attachments

• Mastermind PBC Setup.rjs
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
I'm with Craig - I've never had this happen either, and I don't see anything obviously out of place in your editor. I guess I'd just go through and make sure you have the most recent firmware on everything, and double check to make sure the MIDI settings on all the Strymon pedals is as it is supposed to be. There's a lot of settings that have to be just right for this to work, and (speaking from experience), it's really easy to miss one.

I don't think it's the cause, but I did notice that your MIDI clock is set to Auto. I'd recommend setting it to Master. I've had issues with my delay tempo going crazy before I made that change, and I'm pretty sure I remember that happening to others here as well.

I've attached my current settings file if you want to take a look. I use a Timeline and Bigsky and everything works perfectly in the Editor and Nixie for me. Maybe you'll find something different there that I missed?

I’ll check again after work. Try this and see what happens:

Enable midi forward
Ctrl G
Change a song name
Ctrl G
And it freezes

I can click midi forward, Ctrl G, midi forward, Ctrl G again and it’s fine. ONLY when I have midi forward clicked, the change written and leave the page do I have this issue.

PianoMan: I went ahead and loaded up your file. The second I change one thing and try to write changes, the Editor does not respond and needs to be forced closed. The second I remove Midi forward, write a change it works and alows me to edit anything I want.

Also, firmware is up to date on everything as well are the global settings.

Last edited:
PianoMan: I went ahead and loaded up your file. The second I change one thing and try to write changes, the Editor does not respond and needs to be forced closed. The second I remove Midi forward, write a change it works and alows me to edit anything I want.

Also, firmware is up to date on everything as well are the global settings.

Got to be your PC then. I can’t think of what else it would be. That sucks...

Got to be your PC then. I can’t think of what else it would be. That sucks...

That’d be my next guess. Maybe a driver of some sorts. I can still use midi forward to pull all devices up in Nixie. I just need to uncheck it prior to any other changes I make. It’s pretty weird.

Are you using a PC or Mac? OS version?

Back