Midi over Ethernet

Actually the MIDI in of the PBC will be going to the GT. The MIDI Output of the PBC will be going to the rest of your devices.

The ground connection is for shielding purposes. If you don't connect it on one side, your MIDI cable becomes a big noise antenna.

Pins 1 and 3 are used only on the bidirectional MIDI ports, for the opposite direction. All MIDI cables use 4 and 5 for normal communication. There's no conflict because one side is the input and the other side is an output. You need them to be on the same pins for communication to work.

So, in a bidirectional port, Pin1 is tied to pin4, and pin3 is tied to pin5? if so then why do we need all 5 pins on a singal bidirectional cable?
Maybe i just dont understand how the bidirectional data flows in when split like this...

Pins 1 an 3 are the input and pins 4 and 5 are the output, you would never tie them together on the same port. When converting from bidirectional to standard MIDI ports, pins 1 and 3 on the bidirectional port connect to pins 4 and 5 on one standard port. Pins 4 and 5 on the bidirectional port connect to pins 4 and 5 on the other standard port.
IMG_7249.JPG
'

Hi Ron. I have Mike Hill making me some custom split boxes for this now. He's asking for a detailed pin configuration. Needs to know exactly what are the positive and negative pins and exactly where the ground is connected.

Would really appreciated a detialed drawing and definitve config. if you have the time to do so please.

Thanks for that last drawing, but would be really great if you could clarify where the positive, negative and ground are for absolute clarity as Mike whats to get this right :)

Here's a modified version of the above drawing, including ground connections. This is exactly what's needed to be built.

Pin 2 is ground, pin 4 is positive, pin 5 is negative, as per the MIDI spec. For the other direction, pin 1 is positive, pin 3 is negative.

Attachments

• IMG_7249.jpg
    IMG_7249.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 14
Thanks so much Ron. Can I jst double check that pin2 will be connected to pin2 on both IN and OUT? as I thought pin2 ground was only connected at one end?

And its still OK to use a 5-pin plug for the gt16 end?

Correct, ground should be connected to all pin 2s within the adapter. The ground should be connected through all cabling, adapter boxes, etc. for shielding purposes. MIDI signal is a lot hotter than audio, and it will bleed out into neighboring audio cables and equipment if the shielding isn't good. The only point that the ground should not be connected is at a device's MIDI In port, which should be taken care of inside the actual device.

Very Much appreciate that Ron, as always.

I know I've asked before but just want to be doubly sure the 2 boxes should be wired identically?

Also, Mike who is building the boxes is asking if you can number all the pins on the diagram along with the positive and negatives?
This is purely for absolute clarity as to what exactly he is making for me.

I do hope this isn't much more of a chore.

You have been so unbelievably patient with me through all this.

Back