Mini Amp Gizmo & EVH 5150 iii 50 watt head?

Hi,

The new 5150 head uses P.C. to switch channels but uses C.C. to toggle the Effects loop on/off.

Is it possible to use the M.A.G. to channel switch the amp using C.C. instead of using program changes?

For example, let's say I pull up preset 1 on the Mastermind which sends a signal to the 5150 to turn on the clean channel. I'd like to be able to swiich the other channels on the fly using C.C. from the IA option on the Mastermind. Can this be done?

Wow, interesting that the 50 watt head has MIDI and the 100 doesn't.

I'm going to have to look into this amp and see what the deal is. Chances are, either it uses the same footswitch as the 100 watt version, or we can figure out an interface cable for it. I'll see if I can get some answers at NAMM.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I am hoping that I am not limited to always using PC's to switch. Love having IA CC functionality!!

Unfortunately, the footswitch is one of the crazy complicated types, not a nice simple one. I haven't had time to reverse engineer it yet - too many things to do here!

OK Ron, I may buy one of these amps & I have already made up quite a few MAG switching cables myself for other amps so I may have a go at one for the EVH.

If I find out how it works I will let you know. ;)

It's not a matter of a simple cable - there's definitely going to need to be some circuitry involved!

Bought the amp & I see where you are coming from with this now Ron.
The switching utilises a single TS jack connection & this basically is a conduit for control signals going both ways between the amp & footswitch so the MAG could not I assume be configured to work with this as a direct connection between the 2 is required.

Clever though! ;)

Yeah, they're not the first to do something like that (the Marshall JVM comes to mind). It's not impossible to do - we've developed interfaces for some tricky amps - but it's hard to spend a week or more reverse engineering it when the amp already has MIDI capability.

True...the MIDI capability of the amp is good.
However it's a shame they did not extend the existing CC loop switching capability to include changing channels.

Back