Mobius Rotary Speed

Wheresthedug

Another beginners question from me I'm afraid.

I have now set up a Midi Setup Button Page to select individual presets on my Triaxis, Mobius and Timeline; set tap tempo and store as a preset. So everything is starting to make sense. However, I have have run into another problem that I can't seem to figure out;

Mobius has a Leslie simulator (Rotary Mode) in this mode the Tap tempo switch on the Mobius itself can be set to control either tap tempo or toggle between predetermined fast and slow rotor speeds. I can;t figure out how to control this via my PBC though.

Having looked at the Mobius manual I though it was just a matter of sending a CC39 value of 1 or 0. However, this actually changes the function of the tap button from speed to fast/slow rather than actually toggling between the fast and slow speeds.

Does anyone currently have their PBC set up to control this function? If so, what am I missing?

Another thing I've just noticed is that I thought about making one button Tap Tempo and the button above it Tap Division. Tap Division seems to be CC21 on both Mobius and Timeline. However, the value range is 0-4 but there are 7 different divisions in the pedal covering Whole notes down to 16ths. How would I set this up?

Alan

Last edited:
Looks like there's no CC to toggle between fast and slow for some reason. You'll probably have to use CC#17 (the variable speed control) and find two values that are the slow and fast values you prefer. Something like the:

CC Toggle Speed / CC#17 off:20 on:100 (or something like that, whatever values sound good.

If I had to guess, I'd say the manual has a typo and the division parameter actually has values 0-6. You'll either have to ask Strymon or do some trial and error to see what value corresponds to what division. On the PBC, you can use an IA Cycle button to toggle through four of the seven tap division types.

Thanks Ron. I had thought that IA cycle might be the way to do the tap divisions. Maybe I'm starting to get the hang of this just a tiny bit now :)

I'll contact Hugo at Strymon and update this post when I find the answer.

Just had a thought. I don't currently need any of the Function Switches as all amp changes are via midi. The Mobius has a an option to use the exp pedal in for various different functions. I think one of them is to toggle the rotary speed. It should presumably be possible to use the function sw out to control the rotary speed via the Strymon EXP Pedal input? It would still be cleaner all round if I can find a way to use Midi CC. I'll see what Strymon say.

Hi Ron, I emailed Hugo at Strymon and he explained how to do this.

Firstly, the Tap division range is a typo in the Mobius manual. He said that C.C.21 has 5 values (0-4) on Timeline as T/L only has 5 options but Mobius uses the range 0-6 as Mobius has 7 tap division options. It looks like your suggestion of IA cycle will do what I need as long as I just pick 4 key divisions.

As for the Rotor speed on the Mobius Rotary mode, he confirmed it can be done and it is actually really easy. All I need to do is set CC93 to any values and ensure that the preset in Mobius has the tap tempo option set to Speed. I have set this up on a button on my PBC and it works. However, I need to tap the button twice each time. I tried it with both CC Toggle and CC Momentary option but both seemed to perform the same way. Have I set this up wrong?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 23.38.33 (2).png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 23.38.33 (2).png
    148.8 KB · Views: 7
You might want to verify with Strymon, but it sounds like you're actually using tap tempo to control the speed, so you'll definitely need at least two taps, just like any other tap tempo.

OK, i'll ask again.

The actual email from Strymon said

"You can use MIDI CC# 93 with any value (set MIDI switch to toggle operation) to have a MIDI switch act just like the on-board TAP switch of the Mobius. The behavior of this switch will still be determined by the TAP SW parameter in the PARAMS menu."

I was reading an Oz Noy lesson in the November 2016 issue of Guitar Player tonight which made me want to expand the idea of using PBC to control my rotary settings in Mobius. He said that he constantly rides the bypass on his rotary pedal bringing it on and off during phrases where he plays single note lead lines then comps organ style chords in the gaps. He brings the rotary sound on only for the chords. This works fine but I found it awkward having to remember to turn Mobius off again with a second tap while concentrating on what I'm playing.

I thought it would be great to have the option of leaving Mobius bypassed by default in certain presets but set up a button that only turns on the Mobius rotary effect when the button is held down. It turns out this is really easy and works a treat.

I have now set up a Local Page that loads with certain rotary patches.

Button 1 takes me back to my default Page 1 (presets)
Buttons 2 and 3 select presets as normal ( only because I haven't found anything else I want to control at this stage),
Button 4 is a toggle bypass (c.c.102) for Mobius with default state on when the preset loads.
Button 5 is grouped with 4 but is a momentary on button which turns off when released (again simply sending C.C.102). Perfect for comping chords in between lead lines.
Button 6 changes the rotor speed from fast to slow including ramping up and down the speed exactly as the tap switch on Mobius normally does (c.c.93 as long as the Tap Switch parameter is set to SPD). Awesome on the fly control!

However, I have hit a couple of snags and wonder if there is a way round them (or just a better way to do things)

1 - When I exit a Rotary preset the new preset loads with the last bypass state from the previous preset.

If I set the rotary effect to bypass then change to another preset, Mobius remains bypassed when the new preset loads (this affects every patch in Mobius not just the rotary effect so even if the new preset has chorus or flanger etc it is still bypassed when loaded).

If the last button I used was the momentary on button it sets Mobius to bypassed when I release it thereby causing Mobius to be bypassed in the following preset.

Presumably I could get round this by entering a c.c.102 ON command when all presets load to ensure the new preset overrides the last bypass status but that seems a bit long winded and a lot of work for something that is only caused by one or two presets.

Is there a better way to do it?

Do I need to tick one of the checkbox options to automatically send an override message?

2 - Navigating banks which contain a preset with a local button page.

The whole concept of local button pages is awesome and I am starting to see the power of it but I am still not clear on the best way to lay out pages for ease of use.

Lets say preset with a local button page for rotary control is in preset slot 3. If I select preset 1 or 2 everything is fine. If I then select preset 4 or 5 everything is also fine. However, if I select preset 3 at any point it automatically loads the local button page (which is what I want to happen) but as buttons 4 and 5 are in use on the local page I can't select them without first exiting the local button page.

What is the best way to set this up?

How are other people configuring their local button pages?

Alan

For the first issue, turn on Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change on button 4. That will make that button send a message to the Mobius each preset change. If the button is programmed to be on (effect not bypassed), then it will force the Mobius to enable itself after each preset change.

For the other question, I think I'd need more information on how you would like to work. It seems to me that the best way to go with local pages is to copy an existing button page and redefine only a few buttons (maybe mute, switches or function) with the functions needed for the preset. That way, you still have access to presets and banks. But, that depends on how many functions you need to have on the local button page.

Thanks Ron. I had both buttons ticked already but on both buttons 4 and 5. However, even after deselecting on button 5 it still doesn't change the result. I have also tried messing with group settings and only send ON messages for send on program change but nothing makes a difference. Finally I have turned off the CC102 command on button 5 to see if it is a conflict between the two buttons with the same CC number but even this makes no difference.

I read your post as saying I should turn on Send On Preset Change and Update State On Preset Change in the preset I have loaded with the local button page. Is this correct, or should I be setting every other preset to update status on preset change? I have tried inserting a Preset Action command to turn on Mobius when this preset is loaded and this works no matter what state Mobius was in when I came from other presets. However, I would imagine it could end up being a big job if you have to go through every preset and insert the on action manually. Is there a way to set this as a default action (a macro?) or is it good practice to do this as a matter of habit every time I create a new preset?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 21.11.15 (2).png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 21.11.15 (2).png
    161.6 KB · Views: 4
Ok, the Bypass button only exists on preset 8's local page, so it can't affect the Mobius on any other preset. If you want bypass control on every preset, you need to put a Bypass button on one of the global page so that it can control the pedal on every preset. I find this the easiest way to do it - the only editing you need to do for each preset is just programming the Bypass button to be on or off in each preset.

You can still have a Bypass button on your local page as well Just make sure to turn on IA Link for both Bypass buttons so that turning on (or off) one bypass button turns on (or off) the other one.

Back