More newbie questions. . . . .

toasterdude

I tend to go off on a bunch of tangents so will try to put each question in a new post.

First question. Can the whole preset paradigm be used on multiple pages? Lets say page 1 has my normal banks of 4,5 10 etc to control GT presets but corresponding to Axe II presets.

I may want to have say an Adrenalinn III in FX loop of Axe or POD. Rather than assigning PCs to the adranalinn on a preset by preset basis all the time, I would like more flexibility.

Could say page 3 have preset and bank buttons to control the A III, and FX loop and tap tempo IAs? That way if I want to add in an AIII effect I go to page 3, select prest on AIII without changing Axe or POD patches. Once I have preset I tap tempo and finally kick in FX loop to have the effect.

I know I could add a page of most used Adrenalinn PCs, but would be limited to 20 after using 2 IAs for tap and FX loop.

Another alternative I have seen on another foot controller is having direct access to presets via numerical entry. Instead of scrolling to bank five and hitting preset 6 to get to PC 056, you tap 0 then 5, then 6 and go directly to preset 056.

I think this would be a great way to allow users with Eventide, Strymon and other FX units in a loop to integrate them in the most seamless and versatile manner.

Scenes paradigm on GT itself.

Not sure this is possible. I love the way scenes work on the Axe II, in fact had requested them a while back but it took some dude named Dweezil to get it done. . . lol.

I would love to see this done on the foot controller level. This would allow a single preset to have sub presets or scenes across multiple devices. It would allow for easy switching of lots of FX with one foot tap.

In my case I will have an Axe II with 8 scenes in each preset. I also have a POD HD Pro which allows assigning multiple FX to a single IA on a preset by preset basis. I may get really whacky and add a second POD or Axe or both. . . .lol.

So on the Axe lets say I have a bunch of scenes with amp X/Y, drives, drive X/Y, delays, delay x/y etc etc etc.

Basic amps are clean fenders, with X being the gain turned up just a bit more to fatten up.

On the POD I have one IA kicking in phaser, one kicking in mutron up on left and mutron down on right, one kicking in jet fuzz on left and fuzz pi on right etc.

I always use dual amp chain with one side being fed JTV variax models and the other Variax mags. Because of this every time I use drives I need to use two. One for each side.

Right now on just one patch my 3 drive options are 2 zen drives on Axe drive x, 2 rats on Axe drive y. . . . .easily handled with scenes. However if I want to go from rat to fuzz, I need to either:

switch to scene with clean amps and no Axe Drive, then kick on fuzz on the POD.

kick on fuzz on POD then switch to clean scene on Axe

If it was possible for a foot controller such as the GT to have internal "scenes" it opens up a whole new way of switching FX.I could set up GT "scenes" such as:

1- Axe scene 1
2- Axe scene 2
3-Axe scene 1 with IA 5 on POD turning on Phaser
4- Axe scene 3
5- Axe scene 2 with POD IA 4 turning on mutrons
6- Axe scene 2 with POD IA 3 turning on two fuzzes.

I think combining axe scenes with amp switching or loop switching would also open up new ways of easily switching with one click, eliminating even more tap dancing.

Thanks for the input - you have some interesting ideas. Others have mentioned the device-specific bank and preset and I can definitely see that as useful in a situation where you're playing in a recording or jamming situation where you might be selecting and modifying sounds as you go.

The scenes idea is something I'm going to have to wrap my head around. At this point, it seems like they're just presets but perhaps arranged in a non-linear way. I might be wrong, though. :)

rjmmusic said:
Thanks for the input - you have some interesting ideas. Others have mentioned the device-specific bank and preset and I can definitely see that as useful in a situation where you're playing in a recording or jamming situation where you might be selecting and modifying sounds as you go.

The scenes idea is something I'm going to have to wrap my head around. At this point, it seems like they're just presets but perhaps arranged in a non-linear way. I might be wrong, though. :)

Exactly on the device specific presets and banks.Anything in a loop can be setup on the fly, instead of tying to a particular preset.

The scenes thing I guess is similar to songs except a level down on the hierarchy from presets instead of one above. Also each "scene" would be just a collection of IA states inside that preset. It would be like scenes on the Axe but on steroids as it would work across devices. Whole new way of working. IN fact I think with this new way of thinking the need to switch patches mid song may be much less, unless amps and signal paths change drastically.

Right now with scenes and IAs on the POD a single patch can do a really wide range of sounds. Making all of that a click away would be nuts!!!

toasterdude said:
1- Axe scene 1
2- Axe scene 2
3-Axe scene 1 with IA 5 on POD turning on Phaser
4- Axe scene 3
5- Axe scene 2 with POD IA 4 turning on mutrons
6- Axe scene 2 with POD IA 3 turning on two fuzzes.

I get what you're saying toasterdude but can't help think that it would be way harder to implement GT scenes in a seemless way than it sounds. I guess the main problem is that most devices don't have bidirectional communication and managing a dynamic amount of scenes within each preset/page and managing IA states within them would be a nightmare just for the user.

Ron, I think we'd be able to have a great implementation of this example above just using the existing framework with two new additions:

1. A 'special IA' type of button designed to work with axefx2 scenes - no different to a regular IA button except that each activation of the button will trigger a poll of the axefx2 for bypass states of each visible/active IA button and update the button states accordingly. As far as setup goes this 'scenes IA' button should have a permanent first action tied to CC 34, just need to choose the cc value between 0 and 7 to correspond to scenes 1-8. Just like any other button you can add additional actions which leads me to...

2. A new button 'action' type that activates/deactivates other buttons. Say for example you wanted to play out 'scene' 5 above. You set up a 'Scene IA' button to activate axefx2 scene 2. Then add an additional action that activates the corresponding IA button on the GT, which in turn will send out the appropriate CC to the pod.
Another way would to look at this would be to have the GT is listed itself as a 17th device in the devices list, and for the GT to have all buttons across 16 pages mapped out across 7 CC numbers. This will allow the GT or other devices even to control button on/off presses remotely.
So you would add an additional action to the 'scene' button, and chose the Mastermind GT as the device, press a 'select button' button, and scroll through the pages and press a flashing button much like the 'edit buttons' mode. Then choose whether to toggle, turn on, or turn off the button.

Using the above you could have a fairly dynamic setup without the constant page/scene storing. You'd store the IA states according to whichever scene is active upon preset change and let the scene buttons control everything from there on.

Also with point 1, axefx2 scene intergration could even just be set up as a special action type to poll a device for IA states...

Does any of this make sense or just sound crazy?

Wow, you guys are blowing my mind! :)

For now, I'm working on Axe-Fx Scenes, almost done with that. Thanks for reminding me that I need to refresh button states when scenes change!

As for the other stuff - that's probably opening a big can of worms. I see what both of you guys are saying, I just need to see if any of those ideas could be done in a way that is understandable by most people. Presets/banks/pages/songs/setlists is a lot to digest as it is. I will ruminate on this.

Haha sorry Ron, not trying to raise your blood pressure! I agree, the current presets/banks/pages etc. is already overkill for just about anything anyways!

Look at it this way. Scenes on the Axe negated one of the big reasons people like me want a FC with LCDs on it. Remembering stuff.!

Before the Axe had scenes I would have a bank of 10 and need to remember what each patch in that bank was. Thinking I am kicking on a solo tone to find out it is a steel drum sounding patch was always a fear of mine. PIA. The MMGT would fix that problem! Woo hoo. . .I want one.

But. . . now. . .with scenes we are all most likely using less presets and doing more within each preset. The problem now is one patch now has both steel drums and solo settings, and I am back to trying to remember all of that. . . .stuff. The MMGT will at least let me see preset names but between songs hitting 2 or 3 buttons before a song is not always an issue. Hitting the steel drum sound instead of lead sound. . . .an issue. lol

I read in another thread about maybe having IAs that are preset specific as expression pedals are now. That would help a bunch. If those IAs could have more than one action attached we are really cooking with gas, and if we could name them. . . .I am in heaven. . .lol.

I've been working on the "page per preset" idea. The current concept involves an "override" page you can define for each preset, and is fully configurable like any other page. Page 16 will be replaced with this override page when the preset is loaded. I think this will cover what everyone needs (please tell me if it doesn't!)

rjmmusic said:
I've been working on the "page per preset" idea. The current concept involves an "override" page you can define for each preset, and is fully configurable like any other page. Page 16 will be replaced with this override page when the preset is loaded. I think this will cover what everyone needs (please tell me if it doesn't!)

I am not sure I fully understand. Are you saying that instead of page 16, each preset will have a fully configurable page for each preset? I assume this override page can be the default for the preset?

If you are saying that each preset can have it's own layout and labels for IAs. Sold! You will have the most powerful and flexible FC.

Basically, there will be 16 global pages as there are now. If you choose to have a local (aka override) page for a particular preset, your global page 16 will be replaced with the preset's local page. You still have access to 15 global pages and the local page. The local page (if there is one) will come up automatically when you select a preset, but you can use the Page button and button actions to change to other pages if you need to.

rjmmusic said:
Basically, there will be 16 global pages as there are now. If you choose to have a local (aka override) page for a particular preset, your global page 16 will be replaced with the preset's local page. You still have access to 15 global pages and the local page. The local page (if there is one) will come up automatically when you select a preset, but you can use the Page button and button actions to change to other pages if you need to.

And the local page can have unique labels for all IAs etc? So I can label IAs on a preset by preset basis?

Last question. Are they in stock?

rjmmusic said:
Yes to all three questions!

Order just placed. Looking fwd to diving into what this puppy can do. Will need to get a mission pedal for wah and volume, pedal train pro to mount it all and reverse the polarity on some mission pedals I already have.

Thanks for the purchase! The page-per-preset feature is next after remote mode, which I am fervently working on for a big band.

rjmmusic said:
Thanks for the purchase! The page-per-preset feature is next after remote mode, which I am fervently working on for a big band.

Sounds good. What is remote mode?

Is scene support for Axe II already in there?

Once you have page per preset, I may have to do some videos as that will put you way ahead of all other controllers in my opinion.

Remote mode is the ability to link 2 or more GTs together so they operate in unison, so there can be one GT with the player and one with the tech, or GTs in multiple stage locations.

Axe-Fx scene support went into 1.2 beta 1. By default, six scene buttons are under the preset buttons when you turn on IA mode, like the Fractal controller. But you can assign any button to control scenes, of course.

Videos would be great! I'm looking forward to seeing what people do with page-per-preset. It should open up the door to many crazy possibilities.

BTW I am pretty sure the page per preset would also make my request for "scenes" on the GT unnecessary, I think.

Since each preset can have unique IA buttons and labels I could have one that turns on Axe scene 2 and the apropriate POD cc as well, plus I can name it accordingly!

Can't eait to mess with this stuff. Boggles the mind how much control we will have in such a small footprint. To me it makes those mega buck bradshaw rigs that have a delay button thst calls up a single delay setting seem very limiting.

Exciting times to be a guitar player. I am glad I gave RJM a second and longer look. Killer stuff and support!!!

Back