Multiple tempos for the same preset

Wheresthedug

Hi guys,

I am trying to set up a preset with an 8th note delay at 126bpm in Timeline but I also want a super slow High Pass filter sweep in Mobius. Mobius tap divisions only go as long as Whole notes and even that is way too fast for what I want to achieve. I can get a pretty good sweep with Whole notes at 25bpm. However, if I send midi tempo info from PBC to set Mobius sweep at 25bpm Timeline also changes it's delay time to 25bpm.

What is the best way to achieve the right effect?

The options I can think of are:

1 - don't send any tempo info from PBC and simply store the tempo's in the Strymon presets. That would work but I might want to send tap tempo to the delay if the band shift tempo slightly.

2 - find a sweep tempo for Mobius that roughly matches a multiple of the delay times/tap division in Timeline. However, Timeline only goes to 16th notes so the slowest Mobius filter sweep I could achieve would be whole notes at 63bpm.

3 - set song tempo at 126 and sync Timeline to this. Accept that Mobius will be out of sync but assign an expression pedal to manually sweep the filter in Mobius. However, I don't think Mobius HP filter sweep can be set to manual mode.

Is there are way to send different midi tempo info on each midi channel from PBC?

Is there are way to turn off tempo info on one or more channels at a preset level?

Perhaps I could set the preset to not send any midi tempo so that the tempo from the previous preset is retained on the Timeline and the tempo for the preset is set correctly in the Mobius patch?

How would others set it up?

I'm sure Ron has a simple genius solution for this that I just haven't thought of :)

MIDI Clock is a global message - it doesn't have a channel number, so there's no way to shut it off for one pedal, unless you can tell the pedal to not listen to the clock messages.

Tap Tempo is something you can send per preset. You might be better off using stored tempos in the pedals and using tap tempo or auto tap to change tempos where needed. To get a super slow sweep, you might want to see if you can send a CC message to the Mobius - I see that CC17 corresponds to the Speed knob.

Thanks Ron.

Unfortunately, I can't set Mobius to ignore Midi Clock at a preset level (it's only available as a global command).

I tried the Speed C.C. option you suggested. That works quite well. But I think your other suggestion of simply ignoring tempo settings in the PBC preset in favour of storing the correct Tempo with the Timeline and Mobius presets is the best option.

I assume this means that I would need to use the tap tempo footswitch on the Timeline to change tempo if required as setting a tamp tempo button on PBC would send clock to both Timeline and Mobius.

Thanks Ron.

Unfortunately, I can't set Mobius to ignore Midi Clock at a preset level (it's only available as a global command).

I tried the Speed C.C. option you suggested. That works quite well. But I think your other suggestion of simply ignoring tempo settings in the PBC preset in favour of storing the correct Tempo with the Timeline and Mobius presets is the best option.

I assume this means that I would need to use the tap tempo footswitch on the Timeline to change tempo if required as setting a tamp tempo button on PBC would send clock to both Timeline and Mobius.

If you're not using MIDI clock, then a tap tempo button can be programmed to send CC messages, which are sent on specific MIDI channels. You can define the button to send to the Timeline or the Mobius individually if you like.

Thanks Ron,

Excuse my incompetence but I'm struggling to get this to work properly. I'm probably massively overthinking something which should really be dead simple :)

I have left Midi Clock on for use with other presets and songs and have a Tap Tempo button on my default page which affects both Mobius (Mob) and and TimeLine (TL). However, I have created a Local Button page for the one song I am currently working with. This Local Page should load automatically every time I load any of the 3 presets used in the song.

On the Local Button Page I have set TL to receive a tap tempo command (CC93) on Midi Channel 3. I am not sending anything to Mob (which is on Ch 2).

A couple of things happen:

1 - both TL and Mob change tempo together ---- I think I have now figured this one out. Is it the case that if "Flash w/tempo" is checked that PBC ignores the CC command and assumes the button is a midi clock tempo button? If I uncheck this box T/L changes tempo and Mob is unaffected. ----

2 - the first time I load the song TL and Mob take their tempo from their own stored presets. However, if I have already used another song with a tempo stored as part of the song/preset the new song with local button pages loads TL and Mob presets with the tempo of the previously selected song. Having spent a bit of time with the manuals tonight I appears that this is normally behavior for PBC where a song and/or preset has a tempo value of 0 stored. Is there something I need to do to override this without loading?

Thanks

Last edited:
Using both MIDI clock and CC tap tempo with the same device is going to be tricky. It might work, but it's not something I've ever tried.
If you have MIDI clock enabled, it has priority over other functions on the PBC. For example as you discovered, any button that's set to "flash w/ tempo" will alter the MIDI clock BPM.

In recent firmware, if both the current song and preset are set to 0 tempo, then the PBC will stop sending MIDI clock. That's the only way you're going to get tap tempo working. There should probably be a clock action that allows you to set the clock BPM, or turn it off, but it's not available today.

I have turned off Midi clock for the moment and simply stored the tempo info in TL and Mob presets. Tap Tempo using CC is working fine.

However, I have started to think that it might be better to simply turn off receive midi clock on Mob as it is only the Tremolo settings that are ever synced to tempo and these could be saved in Mob and adjusted with CC tap tempo. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to turn receive Midi Clock on or off either at a Preset or Global level so I think I am stuck with the first option for now.

If a future firmware could accommodate the ability to set Clock on or off at a preset level that would be awesome. It isn't something I would need very often but it would be really useful from time to time.

Thanks again Ron.

Back