My current rig...

This is my current board. I'm making some major changes to it soon. I use the RJM mixer which is majorly important in my rig.

I'm using a Musicomlab MIDI loop switcher. It has 8 loops and I'm finding I may need one or two more loops. The new Mini Effects Gizmo may be the perfect solution to expanding my existing rig.

P1010904.jpg

I may also make a more portable rig with the Mastermind and a second Mini Effects Gizmo.

So since I've placed that Pete Cornish order (which I will build a new board around when they arrive) and I've recently joined a new band I decided to reevaluate my current board and try out some new stuff that I don't usually use.

Ultimately I decided I was somewhat dissatisfied with my overdrive and distortion sounds I was getting from the TC Electronics Nova Drive. I was under the mistaken impression that I was trading a little tone quality for more versatility with the Nova Drive, but ultimately, due to the Nova Drive's narrow usable range I only got one or two different sounds from it, so I figured I may as well go with a couple of dirt boxes that I liked better.

At a friend's suggestion I pulled my FD-2 MOSFET off my pedal shelf and gave it some serious consideration.

Turns out that by cascading the FD-2 MOSFET (with it's footswichable boost) and the Xotic BB Preamp, I was able to get a few more settings that all sounded great.

I've always liked the BB Preamp a lot and tonally I have yet to find a distortion I like more...and I've put some decent dirt boxes up against it over the last few years I've owned it.

I also purchased several Fulltone pedals besides the FD-2 MOSFET, SupaTrem, and Clyde Wah Deluxe I already owned...I got a Clyde Wah Standard, Mini Deja Vibe 2 (which I LOVE), Catalyst, small box '70 fuzz, small box OctaFuzz, FatBoost, and Ultimate Octave and GT-500...all of which were terrific.

Anyway, I had to pull my Timefactor and my fuzz off my board to make room for the vibe and wah and after sawing down the risers a bit I ended up going from the board above...to this...

photo-2-2.jpg

Overall, I'm much happier with the tone (which also fits nicely with the new band's sound) and it's a little easier to work with.

I'll be ordering a new board from NYC Pedalboards that's about an inch and a half wider and an inch taller (the lid wouldn't close when I put the M-9 on the old riser without cutting it down) and some new risers and I'll be putting the Ultimate Octave and '70 or Catalyst on there and I'll be putting my Timefactor back on as well (or maybe the Strymon Timeline if it's out by the time my new board arrives). I'll be making some new cables for it too so it will be cleaner (they'll also be hidden under the main riser). I'm thinking of using those Evidence audio solid core board cables instead of the George L's I've been using. I solder small barrel Switchcraft ends on them for durability and I've had really good luck with it. I haven't had any cable failures since I started soldering them. :)

Back