Nice Rack NYC | Little Rack Mountain of Tone

Nice Rack Canada

This is a rack system I recently built for a client.

The signal flow was designed to maximize the functionality of all hardware & quality of tone. The rig allows the user to play virtually any type of music and have appropriate amps and effects combinations at the ready.

The signal flow is;
Guitar >> Piezo/Magnetic Split Box
Piezo >> Aura 16 >> DI
Magnetic >> Rack Wah >> Axe FX Input 1 >> Overdrive, Fuzz, Compression, "Q" Filters & Whammy effects blocks in Axe FX >> "Y" Split Routing in between Axe FX Blocks Output 1 >> FX Send Block Output >> Axe FX Output 2 >> Mesa Mark V Input >> Mark V Effects Send >> Axe FX Input 2 >> Axe FX Output 1 1/4" >> Mark V Effects Return >> Mark V Speaker Out >> 2x Mesa Thiele 1x12" Cabinets
+ "Y" Split Routing in between Axe FX Blocks Output 2 >> Amp Modeling >> Speaker Modeling >> Chorus, Delay, Reverb, EQ, Filters, Rotary >> Axe FX Output 1 XLR L&R >> Atomic Reactor 1x12" Active Cabinets L&R.

The signal at the Axe FX Output 1 1/4" + XLR Outputs is the same signal. To avoid amp modeling going into the Mark V's Effects Return the loop is kept closed. So why bother? For the occasional need for a totally different pre-amp voicing than the Mark V is capable of. By using an FX Send Block in the Axe FX and Only connecting the Right side of the Block and then disabling a few parameters on an amp model in the Axe FX, the "Pre-Amp" stage of the Amp Model can be used to drive the Mark V's power Amp Stage. You know in case you want a "Supro" or "Tweed Twin" sound via a Mark V's power amp.

Another Axe FX routing and processing dependent scenario involves using no amp and speaker modeling and only using the power Effects processing in combination with the Mark V.

If it's a wall of Wet & Dry Boogie you want, you can use the first mentioned signal flow with a Recto Model with all "Wet" effects into the Reactors and a "Dry" Mark V sound.

The routing and combinations of are almost infinite with this rig.

The RJM Connection is far deeper than the Amp Gizmo controlling the Mark V. Ron & I spent some quality time on the phone cajoling the Fractal MFC101 to allow part of the IA section to be configured to mimic part of a Mark V proprietary controller's switching behavior. This rig simply wouldn't be all that it is without Ron's knowledge and creativity. Much respect.

Nice Rack NYC
Custom Cables, Racks & Pedalboards
WEB: http://www.NiceRackNYC.com
EMAIL: info@NiceRackNYC.com

Small_Rack_Big_Guitar_Tone_01.JPG

Small_Rack_Big_Guitar_Tone_02.JPG

Small_Rack_Big_Guitar_Tone_03.JPG

Small_Rack_Big_Guitar_Tone_04.JPG

Small_Rack_Big_Guitar_Tone_05.JPG

Small_Rack_Big_Guitar_Tone_06.JPG

Small_Rack_Big_Guitar_Tone_07.JPG

Small_Rack_Big_Guitar_Tone_08.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Little Rack - Mountain of Tone

I'm in love :eek:

Incredible setup, and I'm sure it's as versatile as you say

Wow, what a fantatic rig!!! I dream of having something as awesome as that!! No one here in Australia can put together anything like this. Just a few questions, What is that single rack space thing at the bottom of your rack at the back, the thing with all the cables plugged into it. Is the some kind of interface? Where did you get it? Also the little box, on your pedal board?

@Voodootele Thanks for the kind words about my work.

I have shipped rack & pedalboard systems to countries outside of North America. I'd be glad to ship you one.

I build custom interface panels in all of my rack & pedalboard assemblies.

Hi!

How high is the rack from the wheels to top?

Im about to order this kind of rack too thanks to this thread!

Also what cable is that? Mogami, what exact model?

Greetings from Finland,

Juho

So, can I ask, is your MFC101 running in AxeFx mode? And if so, are you using Reveal to switch the preset switches into IA switches allowing them to send CCs to your Amp Gizmo in order to switch channels on the Mark V?

That's a mouthful. :).

I have a similar setup that I am trying to configure, although not quite as complicated - I only have 1 pedal and a Suhr/CAA PT100 I'd like to control by switching the first 4 buttons on the MFC from presets into IA switches by clicking reveal and then sending CC data to my RackGizmo in order to switch channels on my PT100 and engage the 2 functions on my Suhr KokoBoost pedal.

John

Yes the MFC is running in Axe FX Mode with some switches "disabled" to purely CC functions in the Amp Gizmo and Mini Effects Gizmo. Not all of the Amp Gizmo Functions are assigned to the MFC's switches. Only using Amp Channels In a "Grouping" & Boost Latching.

I set up the MFC with 5 Presets per Bank and 12 Axe FX / IA Switches for Amp Functions, Audio Routing to the Aura and commonly used Axe FX Blocks. The client doesn't use enough effects to require the use of the Reveal function on the MFC.

Interesting. So do you know if it is possible to get an IA to send a CC to my RackGizmo in Reveal mode to switch channels on my amp. I tried yesterday by switching c1 of IA 1 to send CC88 but nothing happened. I guess I have no clue what I'm doing but if you know how to do it, and I could bother you, a detailed set of instructions on how to set that up would be awesome and I would be indebted to you until the end of time. Well, maybe a nice big thanks at the very least. :)

John

John,

Make sure the MIDI channels on the IA button and Rack Gizmo agree - they need to be the same as well as the CC number.

hi,
is that the middle atlantic UNI-1-C for the patch panel?
I saw you have those listed on your web site as well.
How to you secure the jacks to the panel?
I got one recently and the only way it looks like to secure
jacks to it is to use a nut behind the patch panel. seems like it would be
very difficult to get behind the patch panel to replace a jack or even during the inital instalation
it would be very tight if you have to secure it with a nut.

JB

UNI-1-C it is.

I use 3mm hardware with lock washer and nut.

I have no problem using a nut driver to hold the hardware in place when tightening the screws.

Back