PBC and Boss RC-505 Looper

Marsdy

First time post! Hi there from the UK.

I need a more sophisticated looper than a Boss RC-30. The one that’s ticking all the boxes is the Boss RC-505. The downside is that it’s a desktop unit so I’m aiming to control it via MIDI continuous controller messages from my PBC, entirely feasible according to the RC-505 manual. I haven’t got an RC-505 yet because I’m wondering how feasible it would be to use with the PBC.

In short I’m trying to remote control the RC505 and select a sound i.e. set of PBC loops/program changes for one loop and then record a loop on a second track with another sound/set of PBC loops and program changes enabled and so on.

I intend setting up a PBC button page for controlling it - something similar to the video on the RJM site on how to control the Strymon Timeline looper. My question is - has anyone tried this and is it working well for you? One potential downside I’m concerned about is switching between presets or selecting loops/program changes whilst the looper is running so each looper track has its own specific sound.

The RC-505 has up to five tracks and each can run loops in serial and/or parallel. I’m wondering how feasible it would be to program button pages on a per-preset basis so, for example - one button could select which PBC loops are enabled and send out program changes where necessary and enable record on say track 1 of the RC505 with a second press of the same button putting track 1 into overdub. Button two would select a different set of PBC loops/program changes and record enable track 2 of the RC-505 with track 1 still running and so on. I’m wondering if this would be quite fiddly and time consuming to set up?

Or... alternatively... Would it be better to recall a preset with an RC505 looper control button page active that is specific to that preset with it’s own set of PBC loops enabled and program changes recalled for the first record loop? Then I could program a second button to both record enable a second RC505 track and recall another preset (sound) which itself has the looper control page active with a button set up to record on a third track which recalls another PBC preset which switches to another sound for that loop... and so on. Still with me? Not sure I am!

Apologies for such a long winded and convoluted first post but I was hoping for some input from someone who has done something similar.

Dave

Back