PCB editor and footswitch PC messages

Rocknroll

I always hate using the editor. Namely because I always feel I am going to screw something up after spending hours getting what I want. I basically just use the editor to save a file that I can return to after I make changes via the pedal board. I do not feel comfortable making those changes on the editor. Maybe that will come with time.

I just finished updating to the new version and was looking at presets. Why does the editor show that I have pedals selected in the PC messages section for a certain preset, when in fact I don’t have any pedals chosen at all? It confuses me. Like, I can go to preset 16that has nothing in it, yet the editor says I have Timeline, Mobius, and Big Sky and another device on it, all set to certain Chanel’s that change as I select other presets. I never selected these. It should only show in PC messages if I have activated that pedal for that preset, right?
Furthermore; I just went over to buttons and looked on preset 5. It shows that I have nothing selected, yet I have at least three pedals activated for that preset. Why does buttons show nothing? That’s why I’m scared to use it...

It should only show in PC messages if I have activated that pedal for that preset, right?
Furthermore; I just went over to buttons and looked on preset 5. It shows that I have nothing selected, yet I have at least three pedals activated for that preset. Why does buttons show nothing? That’s why I’m scared to use it...

No, that's not how it works. The PBC can still be sending a PC command to a pedal and changing it's preset, even it you don't have that loop engaged for that preset.

Feel free to post your file and I might be able to understand better what you're asking. For me, editing ANYTHING via the PBC is a major nightmare. I ONLY use the editor 100% of the time unless I'm on stage and need to tweak something small. I can literally do anything with the editor 10 times faster than with the PBC itself!

Ok, not sure if this will open, but if you go to buttons preset 5, it says nothing, yet I have OD, Fuzz and reverb active on that preset via the PCB. I have uploaded this file from the PCB and is the most current. I am the opposite of you. If I can get it to work on the PCB, I'm good. When I start messing with the editor God only knows what I'll get.

Attachments

• Working file 4-8-18.rjs
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
The file shows that loops 1, 2 & 9 are on. I assume those are the 3 you name above. Not sure what you're seeing on your end, but works fine on my end.

By default, the PBC is set to send PC "0" to all your devices on preset 0, PC "1" on preset 1 and so on.....that is something that you can only (I believe) fix from the editor. In the editor, you can tell it to (by default) send nothing at all unless you specify, which is what I did.

I'm telling you man, haha, play with the editor. Takes only a few minutes to get comfortable and it's much quicker, I promise. Plus, you can do a bunch of stuff with the editor you can't otherwise...which is what makes the PBC worth the money. Otherwise, a cheaper looper would do the same thing for less...

The PBC doesn't understand that, for example, the pedal you have in loop 8 is the same as the Timeline you have defined as device number 2 on the Devices page. It just knows that it can switch loops on and off and it can send MIDI messages - two different things that are unrelated (at least as far as the PBC is concerned).

If you have a device listed in the Devices tab and the "Send PCs" checkbox is checked for that device, then the device will show up in the "PC Messages" section. That's the only thing that controls whether or not it appears in the PC Messages section.

In your example file, your OD and other pedals don't show up in preset 5 because they're not MIDI devices and are unable to receive PC messages.

Ok, thanks. When I go Presets and Audio. I can see my choices, but when I select Preset Actions or Buttons, it doesn't show anything. I don't understand. Shouldn't I be able to see my selections on all three pages?

Ok, thanks. When I go Presets and Audio. I can see my choices, but when I select Preset Actions or Buttons, it doesn't show anything. I don't understand. Shouldn't I be able to see my selections on all three pages?

No...Preset actions is a totally different thing...this allows to assign IA functions to happen when you go to that preset (not related to a particular button or press of a button). For example, automatically run a macro when you select preset 4 or something.

You CAN see the loops on the "buttons" part of the presets section....sort of. If you view Page 2 (Loops) you'll notice that the buttons for loops 1, 2 & 9 are on (for preset 5). This is b/c the status of the lights is ON b/c you have those loops selected to be on for that preset.

Generally speaking, you should not use that page to assign loops on/off for a preset. This approach works for loops on/off, but can get quite confusing for other settings, such as the status of IA buttons. (Many people don't realize that for an IA button where you have the "update on preset change" checked, you can actually set that button to be ON by default on some presets and OFF by default on other presets simply by toggling this button on the "buttons" part of the Preset tab for each preset...

I know the above can be pretty deep if you haven't used the editor yet, but it offers TONS of options when it comes to customizing.

Basically, for loops ON/OFF, only use the AUDIO section of the Preset tab.

Back