Pre Sales: Mainly using Scenes?

Johan Allard

Hi,

I'm looking at potentially replacing my MFC101 and the MMGT 16 looks to be very, very good and much more configurable than the MFC-101.

One thing I'm wondering though is how it will work if I'm mainly using scenes in my Axe Fx 2 instead of presets? My plan would be to not have any presets on my default page and use Scene 1-8 instead. It seems that one of the features that would be missing is IA mode? I assume Scenes would be configured as IA's so that would make IA mode void? Would it be possible to set some IA's (the Scene IA's) to use some form of preset mode so that it would be possible to enable IA mode for the Scene IA's?

Next thing I'm wondering then is if the preset menu would have the bank up/down buttons? Not mainly using presets it wouldn't really make sense to have bank up/down on the main page so I'd like to use the preset menu to select presets, including different banks, which would then select the main page with the scenes for that preset.

Also, I was wondering if it was possible to use page selectors as "modes"? I had an idea to use the lower 12 buttons of the IA's as mainly Scene's and effect IA's and then use the 4 buttons at the top as "mode selectors". For instance have button 1 select a page with looper controls and then press button 1 again to revert to the previous page, regardless if that's the default page or the preset local page? Basically I'd like to have the top 4 be Preset Select, Song Select, Effects Mode, Looper Mode.

I think that's it for now. Really hoping that the MMGT will be flexible enough to suit my needs :)

Hi Johan, Yek here. :)

The GT lets you do whatever you want.

If you want 8 scenes on your main page, no problem. No need tio use IA Mode.

After configuring your main page, there are several ways to access more/other buttons.

There's IA Mode, which turns every non-IA button (such as Page, Bank Up/Down, IA Mode) on the main page into an IA button. This is very similar to Reveal on the MFC.

There's also the Page button, which lets you scroll through multiple pages. You have one for Presets, one for Looper etc.
If you don't want to scroll and want direct access to specific pages, "modes" as you call therm, you can define "Page #" buttons which take you directy to a specifiic page.

On the Preset page you can define Bank Up and Bank Down buttons. These don't need to be on the main page. But you can also define a Preset Menu button, which displays 14 presets per screen (on the GT/16). You can use Next and Previous buttons to scroll to more presets.

Hi Yek, if course you're going to be as active here as on the Fractal forum :),

The IA mode would be to to double-function the 8 scene IA's instead of presets to use other functions, like Chorus, Flanger, Tremolo, that I don't normally engage on a per scene basis, but would like to have the option of selecting once in a while. As far as I understand if I don't use presets, IA mode doesn't really work? (I've been playing around with the editor to trying to understand the limitations before buying.) Or rather - it seems exactly like the MFC where reveal only works when I'm primarily using presets, not when I'm primarily using scenes?

I've seen the option where I can select a button to go to a specific page, my question really is - how do I go back? I don't think my setup is particularly complex, when playing live I pretty much use 2 presets, a "pop" one (AC20 base) and a "rock" one (alternating between the 1987x and the Friedman, whatever I feel like), and about 5 song presets for songs that needs special effects that's cumbersome to do with the normal presets. I would assume that I would use the local buttons for the 5 song presets and the same page 1 with scene 1-8 for my standard presets. Lets say that I create a page for looper mode as page 3. I can see that I can create an IA that takes me to page 3, but when I've entered looper mode (page 3), how do I go back to either the standard page 1 or the local page?

No no, not planning on doing that, Johan. :)

Correct, when the primary function of a button already is an IA, then IA Mode won't add anything.

But you can use the HOLD functionality instead.

You can define Page Up and Page Down buttons. Or assign a Page Menu button which displays all pages.

We'll see Yek, we'll see :)

So there's no way of going back to the default page for a preset with one click? Ideally I would like to have like reveal in the MFC but for defined pages so click once to go to page X (with say looper controls, or additional IA's) and click on the same button again (long press would be ok) to go back to the previous page, or the default page?

Also, with the Page Up/Down, is it possible to limit that to say 3 pages? How does that work when a preset has/hasn't a local page?

Johan Allard said:
Also, with the Page Up/Down, is it possible to limit that to say 3 pages? How does that work when a preset has/hasn't a local page?

Yes, you can limit the number of pages.

Don't know the answer to the other question.

You can limit the number of pages, but the limit does not affect the local page. For example, if you limit the pages to 4 and you're on a preset that has a local page, the page up and down buttons will cycle through 1, 2, 3, 4, local page. If you're on a preset that has no local page, then it would cycle through 1, 2, 3, 4.

Hi, sorry to bring back an old thread but I have another question of the same nature.

I'd like to do the same kinda thing as Johan.
Each local page to be a row of Scenes, a row of IA's relating to the current preset and buttons to go to other pages (Looper control, Presets etc.)
My question is once I've ventured from a local page to say my Looper page... How do I go back to the local page with 1 button press. I've looked on the editor at maybe a system action to page 16, but It won't let me allocate page 16! Is it in the button type menu?

Thanks! :)

See my response to your other post - the numbers are showing as 0-15 instead of 1-16. Select 15 and it'll get you to the local page. I'll fix the error shortly.

Back