Q re expression pedal (GT16)

spikeymcspikeface

Hi Ron & all you other people much cleverer than me, I'm hoping this is a simple question:

I'm using my Mission RJM SP-1 expression pedal via the GT16 to control various devices. The two I'm mainly using are an Eventide H90 and a ProStage WahryTone. I want the default to be that the pedal controls the H90, and when I press on the 'toe-down function button' it switches over to the Wah (turning on the relevant loop on my MEGX). However, I don't want the pedal to start adjusting the H90 settings as soon as I move it - ie. if the pedal is controlling the delay mix on the H90, when I go to switch on the wah, the pedal goes to full toe-down (to press the 'toe button') and so dials-in maximum delay mix to the H90 (which clearly makes it pretty unusable - every time I try to use the wah, the sound is swamped in masses of delay o_O).

So what I thought I could do is program the global expression pedal settings basically to do nothing, but set a position switch fairly high up towards the heel position to select an expression block that activates the H90 control - ie. so I can move the pedal down to turn on the wah without also dialing in the maximum expressions setting on the H90, and to start controlling the H90 I'd first need move the pedal up to the heel position, and then it'd start working. (Hope that makes sense - seems complicated to explain ...!).

But try as I might, I can't make this work. I can set the position switch to do things like turn loops on/off on the MEGX, and it works fine - so programming a position switch is not the problem. But when I try using a position switch to call up an expression block to activate the pedal for the H90, either nothing happens at all (the expression pedal won't talk to the H90 whatever I do) or it sends messages to the H90 all the time (irrespective of whether I've activated the position switch to call up the H90 expression block). And TBH I'm not even sure why I get either of those results :oops: - it all seems a bit random.

What am I doing wrong ...?

Thanks.

I'm not sure what's happening here. It could potentially be a bug. I don't think I ever tested the case where the expression pedal position switch changes the expression pedal settings. There could be some weird interaction going on. I'll look into it.

Thanks Ron - appreciated.

For now, I've set up the expression pedal to do nothing unless I press down onto the function switch to activate the wah, but have also set up some Local Button Pages on relevant Presets with an IA Button that toggles the expression on/off for the H90. Works fine - a bit of extra button pressing, but it's an ok workaround for the time being.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Back