Reducing Click Noise with Function Switch and Princeton Tremolo

sjgam

Happy that the tremolo and reverb jacks in my vintage 68 Fender Princeton Reverb were still working when I hooked them up to the function switches on the PBC. Never had a foot switch for them.

When I click the Tremolo off with the PBC function switch, it makes a click noise but not when turned on. Reverb makes no clicking noise switch on or off.

Anything I can do in PBC settings to get rid of the Tremolo switching off clicking?

Ok thanks for confirming.

Noticed that switches when turned on (light on pbc) turn off the reverb and tremolo vice versa. Whats the easiest way to invert it permanently. I only will use these two PBC switches for Princeton tremolo and reverb.

There's a invert setting for each function switch - "Inv" in the editor. Turn that on for both switches and that should fix it.

Happy that the tremolo and reverb jacks in my vintage 68 Fender Princeton Reverb were still working when I hooked them up to the function switches on the PBC. Never had a foot switch for them.

When I click the Tremolo off with the PBC function switch, it makes a click noise but not when turned on. Reverb makes no clicking noise switch on or off.

Anything I can do in PBC settings to get rid of the Tremolo switching off clicking?
I encountered this problem with a Fender Twin Reverb ('65 reissue). When I used the PBC/10 to control the vibrato and reverb, I would get noise only when switching the vibrato. Occasionally the switching noise was extremely loud. I was using a regular TRS 1/4" cable between the PBC/10 and the Twin footswitch jack, but it turns out that using a regular TRS cable is what was causing this problem. A regular TRS cable has two conductors inside a shield, while the Fender-supplied footswitch uses a special cable that has a TRS connector, but with one shielded conductor (which controls reverb), and one conductor that is outside the shield (which controls vibrato). A regular TRS cable has both the conductors inside the shield, which puts the noisy vibrato conductor inside the shield rather than outside the shield. See https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/old-fender-footswitch-optimal-wiring.1829000/ for more discussion about this.

In my case, I cut the Fender-supplied footswitch off of its cable and soldered the cable to a TRS connector, so it has a TRS connector on both ends. If anyone knows the make and model of that Fender footswitch cable I would love to know. I would like to make a custom length footswitch cable.

I found a supplier of the Fender two button foot switch cable, and I confirmed that this cable works correctly in a cable I made to hook up the Mastermind PBC10 to my Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue. The cable is a bit pricey.

Mojotone SKU 4043205 "Fender Double and Single Footswitch Wire"

If anyone goes this route:

- the unshielded wire of the cable is connected to the tip of the TRS connector, and it controls vibrato
- the shielded wire of the cable is connected to the ring of the TRS connector, and it controls reverb
- the shield of the cable is connected to the shield of the TRS connector

Back