Rig Schematic

guitartripp

Here's a schematic of my rig:
Marty_Guitar+Rig_10+13+11.bmp

And the rig:
IMAG0579.jpg

Hi, have a couple questions for you. I am new to rack building and trying to put mine together. Did you build the interface thats on your board? also where did you get your snake?
My board will have a ground control, volume, tuner, and wah pedal on it and I would like to be able to have a clean look to it. Also want to make things fast and easy to set up for tha quick load in and out gigs.
thanks

I'm rather new to the whole thing and the interfaces on the pedalboard are easy to make. I just ordered an empty pedal enclosure (pedalpartsplus.com), drilled it, and wired up jacks on either side of the enclosure. As long as you know how to solder TS (just regular guitar cable), TRS (stereo cables), MIDI, and powerCON cables. If you don't know how to wire any of them write me back and i can either explain it or show the youtube videos i used. None of it's hard. As for the snake, I bought all my components from redco audio. They have everything you could ever want at the best prices i've seen. (redco.com) I used 1" techflex sleeving. I made my cables and ran them through the sleeving. I then bought like 1" heat shrink tubing and put that over the ends of the sleeving. the heat shrink and techflex is less than $1/ft. Redco also has all the cables, ends, and jacks you'll need.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=329
If you look at that link, it has a good example of the Techflex with heat shrink on the ends. Anymore questions I can try to help.
Good Luck!

6 pin XLR? I've seen 5 pin XLR (aka MIDI) and 7 pin XLR (aka MIDI). For five pin MIDI which is what almost all MIDI devices run (gmajor, GCX, ground control pro, etc) i use Mogami cable. If you go to that website i sent you before (redco) > bulk cable > Misc Bulk Cable > Mogami W2948. If this isn't what you are looking for send me some sort of link with a 6 pin XLR conductor and I'll see what i can find cable wise. Hope it helps

Maybe it would help if I expained what gear I am using. On my pedalboard I will have a Ground control pro, wah pedal, volume pedal, and boss tuner. Rack will have Rack Gizmo, Triple Rec head (untill I can replace with MarkV), shelf with pedals, and Wireless once I decide on which one.
I would like to have a snake running from board to rack, so need to power tuner, run midi, and have 2 runs of 1/4 within this snake. Would also like to be able to power the ground control with the rack gizmo through the midi.
Was wanting to have an interface on board as well as in rack as this looks way cleaner. Does this all make sense.

Okay you have to make a few decisions. Do you just want to power your tuner or do you need to power your wah as well? if you need to power your wah and tuner i THINK (very very key word) you can run a DC line out of your rack (just connect it to your Pedal Power or DC Brick or whatever you have in your rack) and run that to your interface. What I'm not sure about is whether you can run both your tuner and wah off one line or if you'll need two. The ends you would use are just the standard DC ends that plug into pedals. (i know that's confusing but if that's what you need i can send links of certain cable and ends). If you are thinking you might add other pedals at some point then you can run a Neutrik powerCON. It's a locking AC connector. You'd run this off your power conditioner. That would allow you to power a full Pedal Power or DC Brick on your pedalboard. Remember, It's a hell of a lot easier to just add another cable to a Power Power than it is to remake a snake and add more power cables running to your board if all you want to do is add another pedal. Now i thought he same thing, i just spend $400 on a GCX (effects gizmo in your case), why would i put other pedals on my pedalboard. My answer came when i saw pedals like the Electro Harmonix Freeze which can't be run in a loop in a Gizmo. Either way a power option is very easy to find. Either run power for individual pedals, or run for a Pedal Power that will power many pedals. As for your Ground Control, i run the same thing. Below, links 1 and 2 are the cable and ends i used for my GCP. They are 5 pin MIDI connectors. These will run your data as well as power. Also, link 3 is the jack i used in my pedal interface. As for 1/4", I used Neutrik locking ends. They're a bit expensive, but they are awesome (link 4). Link 5 is the cable i used with that. If you need 1/4" ends i suggest looking around. Redco ends are kinda expensive so I found some ends for like 50 cents and just bought a ton of them. So your interface would then be 2: 1/4" jacks, 1: 5 pin midi jack, 1: power jack (whatever you choose). Link 6 is an example of just the DC jack for power (picture 6 it says "wah 9V DC" on his interface) and link 7 is an example of the powerCONs (picture 5 the blue connector). If you go with powerCON, either write me back and I'll explain how to wire them or just go to Neutrik's site. (they aren't like 1/4" ends in which you put the same end on both sides whether the signal is going into that side or going out)
I'm no professional and am not claiming to be. I'm a 17 year old kid out of Ohio and am just huge into this stuff. All the stuff I used is quality stuff but i always try to save a few bucks here and there (my parents said they'd pay for my rack habit or college, i sadly chose college). I have done EXTENSIVE research on this stuff so I have a very good idea what I'm doing. Everything i sent you has either worked for me, or i have had suggested to me by professionals. I know everything I said before is right except maybe the DC power part. I'd get that checked out by somebody either on here or that is a professional. I don't want you to fry your gear or burn your house down because you listened to me. Again good luck, and i will pay attention to this forum for your response. Hope it helps!

1. http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=508
2. http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=310
3. http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=311
4. http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=240
5. http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=506
6. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=329
7. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=351

thank you very much for the info. I am going to start gathering everything that I need to get everything rolling really appreciate your input and help.

Back