Ron, thanks for the help yesterday! You rock!

VESmedic

Ron,

This is chris, the fireman that rudely cut you off on the phone yesterday when you were trying to help him :D Sorry about that, as I was on shift!

When we were talking, we were discussing my rig. While I definitely understand what you were saying, I was wondering if you could put it to me on paper with your routing charts? I have seen you do it a few times, but I wasn't sure if it was normal thing you do :D I know you are busy, but I would GREATLY appreciate it! Just for reference, heres what I think we decided on.

Dual amp set up with axe fx 4cm, and 2 or 3 pedals, using RG-16!!

First amp: (wet amp) VHT Ultralead and axe fx 4CM for all effects
2nd amp:(dry amp) VHT Deliverance (single channel no effects loop = EASY FOR ME TO USE! :D) as my "Dry" signal, only pedal to be used would be the Maxon OD808. This pedal will be on at all times, whenever the Deliverance is in the signal.

I would like to be able to run both at the same time (both on for my rhythm tone) and seperate if I need be (again, Deliverance with boost on ALL the time) Basically, just doing the axe fx 4cm wiring diagram, with another amp added in with a pedal in front. I am just not quite sure how to do it, and would be much easier with one of your wiring charts you put up. I know you are extremely busy, but if you have any free time, I would be INCREDIBLY appreciative! :)

For now however, I do not have the axe fx, so the above is for at a later date (a month or so) when I get an axe fx. SO as of right now, the only pedals I will be using, is the maxon ts808, and a simple reverb pedal. The reverb pedal I only want to affect the Ultralead, while the 808 I'd like to use to boost both amps. If I choose to have it just effect the Deliverance when both amps are on, how much different will the wiring diagram look.

*Dumb noob questions of the day*
1. I plan to use a line 6 G90 wireless, that just plugs into the input of the RG16 right? Can I plug it into the "from front" on the back to keep all my wiring behind the rack?

2. When using a wah and the wireless, where does the wah plug into!? This one is making my brain hurt for some reason, I am obviously thinking too hard :D

Ron, thanks again for all your help, your customer service is bar none THE BEST!!!

I'll try to get you a wiring diagram when I can. They're pretty time consuming and lately it's been pretty hard to find any time, but I'll see what I can do.

As for your questions, I'd run the wireless receiver into the wah, and the wah into the RG-16 Input jack (between Buffer Out and Send 1). Keeping the wah out of the switcher loops usually makes the most sense so you can make use of the switch in the wah. If tone suckage is an issue, you can get the wah modded for true bypass.

Thanks ron. Whatever I have to do to make it happen, I'd be glad to send you financial support for the help! :D :D :D :D

Ron,

If i want 1 amp to be dry, and the other to be the wet one effected by my pedals, woudl I run the dry amp all the way at the end of the loop (like, the very last loop I'm using? ) For instance, if I want the UL with a reverb pedal, do I run the UL in loop 1, Reverb in loop 2, and then the Deliverance in loop 3 if I wanted it unaffected by the reverb?

You have it exactly right - except backwards! The first loop should be the dry amp (because the signal will split off before it hits any effect). The wet amp should be at the end of the chain, so that the signal goes through the effects before hitting the amp.

Ok awesome I "THINK" I'm getting somewhere!! :D

So it should be, Maxon 808 in loop 1, Deliverance in loop 2 (as I want the Deliverance effected by the maxon) Reverb Pedal loop 3, UL loop 4 correct? What if I activated loops 2 (Deliverance) and Loop 3 only (reverb) wouldn't the Deliverance be effected by the reverb?

Wouldn't that mean the reverb is "before" the amp then though?

I don't understand how you make effects go "before" or "after" the amp? If an effect is in loop 1, and an amp in loop 2, does that mean its "before" the amp?

Ron, Nevermind, I reread my other post, and you explained it perfectly. Thanks again, and sorry for all the questions, I really appreciate it!

Ron,

Your videos on you tube, the one with dave weiner on the RG-16: The 3rd rig scenario, the one with both amps ( the bassman and the stiletto), it looks like he splits the signal out of the output of the RG-16 with a Y cable of sorts, however on your wiring diagram for 2 amps and 4 pedals, there is no Y cable. Is the diagram with 4 pedals and 2 amps effectively doing the same thing as weiner is doing in the video, just in a different way (no Y cable)? Is there a reason to do doing it one way or another?

Also, I'm running 2 patch cables, one from the buffer in to the buffer out, and one from the "from front" to input on the rear, just like in dave weiners RG-16 demo video. If I want to run my G90 wireless through the back of the RG-16 (just to keep all the cables behind my rack) what do I need to do? simply just not use the patch cable for the "from front" to input, and just plug my wireless into the "from front" jack?

VESmedic said:
Ron,

Your videos on you tube, the one with dave weiner on the RG-16: The 3rd rig scenario, the one with both amps ( the bassman and the stiletto), it looks like he splits the signal out of the output of the RG-16 with a Y cable of sorts, however on your wiring diagram for 2 amps and 4 pedals, there is no Y cable. Is the diagram with 4 pedals and 2 amps effectively doing the same thing as weiner is doing in the video, just in a different way (no Y cable)? Is there a reason to do doing it one way or another?

Hmmm... I haven't checked out the video in years, but you'd only use a Y cable if you want both amps on at all times. The 2 amp / 4 pedal diagram is correct - you should use two loops to get an A/B/Y switch, then you'll be able to have either amp on, both amps on, or both off.

VESmedic said:
Also, I'm running 2 patch cables, one from the buffer in to the buffer out, and one from the "from front" to input on the rear, just like in dave weiners RG-16 demo video. If I want to run my G90 wireless through the back of the RG-16 (just to keep all the cables behind my rack) what do I need to do? simply just not use the patch cable for the "from front" to input, and just plug my wireless into the "from front" jack?

Almost correct: remove the "From Front" jumper and connect the wireless output to the Buffer In jack.

I'm confused, why do i need to remove the from front jumper if I'm using only the buffer in for the wireless? Guess I'm not really sure how to use the buffer then...

Using the front panel input, your signal will travel into the front input, then come out the From Front jack. The jumper will carry the signal from From Front output to the Buffer In. By removing the jumper, you're breaking the connection between the front panel and the buffer, so you can plug your wireless straight into the buffer input on the rear panel.

Ron...Seriously..... WHAT would I do without you!? Thanks so much for your great customer service, it is greatly appreciated! :D

Alright, So I got both amps running together, sounds GREAT! Sounds absolutely huge. However, there is definitely some noise, it seems there is more of that underlying "60 cycle hum" (almost like a guitar cable that is plugged into an amp, with no guitar on the end) on the Ultralead...What can I do to fix this?

Also, ran into a problem when running an overdrive pedal in loop 3. When I turned on the pedal, all of the distortion was gone. I have it running as a clean boost, (overdrive at 0, level at 10) and it was a completely sound with it engaged..Battery life seemed fine, as the light was lit up. Any ideas?

Also, what happens if you run 2 amps together that have more than 8 function switches? lets say I have one amp with 5, and another with 5, thats 10, how do the function switches handle this?

You probably need an isolation transformer on the second amp. A two amp setup is extremely likely to generate a ground loop without one. For two amp setups, I like the Hum-X, which is an isolation transformer for the power connection of the amp. It breaks the ground loop effectively and doesn't change tone like an inline isolation transformer does. (Also, check your amps, one might have a ground lift switch on the back. If it does, just flip it!)

Regarding the pedal - does it do anything at all when the loop is on and the knobs on the pedal are turned? If you move the pedal to a different loop, does it work any better?

Two amps with a total of more than 8 function switches - you have two choices. Either overlap the function switches - for example, set one switch to turn on the effects loops of both amps simultaneously, or set the channels of both amps to switch in unison. This typically requires specially made cables to get the arrangement you want. The two switching jacks switch in unison, but they are electrically isolated from each other, so having one switch control both amps is not a problem.

Or, if there are functions you never use, we can cut the appropriate leads in the cables to remove control of those functions.

Ron, thanks I'll try a hum x...Should I plug it into my power conditioner and into the wall socket? Or at the cord going from my amp to the power conditioner?

The pedal is working. When I turn up the overdrive knob, the sound is obviously more distorted, and not in a bad way, like basically how a tube screamer should sound. The volume is also less with the pedal engaged too very noticably...

Check your cables, maybe swap in some new ones. Also check what happens when the loop is on and you switch the pedal on and off (using the pedal itself, not the RG-16).

As for the Hum-X, it would go between the amp's plug and the power conditioner.

will do....Does the ground switch on my UL do essentially the same thing as the hum x? What if messing with the ground switch doesn't solve the issue, should I still try the hum x?

The ground switch should have the same effect as the Hum-X. If it doesn't help, the problem is elsewhere.

Back