Routing MIDI signal through my pedalboard

stringtheorist

I am trying to figure out how to control up to 6 MIDI devices at once without resorting to using a rack MIDI Thru device. I had planned to use a Midi Solutions MIDI Thru Quadra box hooked up to the PBC MIDI Out, since it will fit nicely under a pedalboard. This would control my amp switching, Whammy DT, a MIDI controlled EQ pedal, and a Strymon Mobius.

If I later wished to add other MIDI controlled pedals to my rig, could I use the Mobius's MIDI Out to continue the MIDI signal chain or would I need a dedicated Thru port (and how would I best get this onto my board)?

In my case, I put my mobius, timeline and Brothers in the same MIDI chain from PBC in serial, and mobius is at the first place. Works fine for me, no notifiable lag, though I don't have a MIDI splitter. Just set "MIDI Thru" on both strymon pedals.

One you get to 5 or 6 MIDI devices, a thru box is a good idea. Going straight from the PBC output to the thru box, then using all of the Quadra Thru's outputs is the best bet. Then, you can use the connected pedals' MIDI Thru ports as needed. You wouldn't need another thru box until you get to maybe 12 devices.

The important thing is the number of thru ports the MIDI signal passes through. You don't want it to pass through more than three thrus. In your scenario you have a maximum of two thrus: the Quadra Thru, then the Mobius' thru to connect to an additional pedal.

Good point to learn, thanks!

Lucky to have only 3 MIDI pedals for now. My board is growing, I'll consider a MIDI thru box as well. It seems that there is a common perspective about not to put more than 3 or 4 MIDI devices in a row, and, some pedals don't even have a MIDI thru/out port.

Whammy DT, a MIDI controlled EQ pedal

So what's your EQ? Is it a SA programmable EQ?

In my case, I put my mobius, timeline and Brothers in the same MIDI chain from PBC in serial, and mobius is at the first place. Works fine for me, no notifiable lag, though I don't have a MIDI splitter. Just set "MIDI Thru" on both strymon pedals.
Great... That's what I was hoping for. Cheers.

Back