Setting up an IA for the Digitech Whammy DT

skracus

Hi Ron,

I've been working on an approach to setting up an IA(s) to control the Whammy DT. What I've come up with so far is an IA that has three functions. 1) A CC toggle that turns on a loop in the RG-16 then off when pressed again. 2) A PC change to the whammy to turn on the shallow detune (PC# 12 I believe) then...3) A PC# of 46 to turn on the drop tune side. Can't test it yet but my guess is that this will will activate the selected loop in the RG-16 then turn on the shallow detune effect of the whammy, then turn on the drop tune effect (in this case up a 4th). Then when I press that IA again it will disengage the RG-16 loop but leave the Whammy DT set per the initial press of the IA. I would then set up a series of IA's in a group for whatever I wanted the Whammy DT to do (one IA per setting) Does this sound right to you? Programming with the editor now until the MMGT arrives.

Thanks,

Steve

HI Steve,

That looks correct. This is similar to a little video demo I did a while back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1mxXRPbAuE

A few important notes are that the PC actions should be first in the list, and the CC action should be last. Also, when you assign the buttons to a group, make sure that the group's "Allow all buttons off" checkbox is on. That should make it work the way you want.

Whammy DT owners be aware. The Whammy DT will only allow midi control of the drop tune side OR the whammy side of the pedal NOT BOTH at the same time. Unless I'm missing something this really sucks, Digitech! Makes sense I guess since they are using PC instead of CC to control it via midi but still a bummer. I may not have racked the pedal had I looked at this sooner.

Whammy DT users. Ron has added this functionality to the MMGT and it works great! You can set up an IA to activate the Whammy DT in a "specific configuration" or you can add a "duplicate device" with the same midi channel to the MMGT and send the PC information to both sides of the DT at the preset level. Note that it appears that the editor will only display one device per midi channel on the preset setup screen but this works fine at the MMGT. This seems to work out the best for me and keeps me from having a slew of IA's for all the different ways to use the whammy however on the few occasions that I need to jump around within a preset, the custom config IA will be a great way to enhance the way the Whammy is used.

Just watched the video; my goal is to use a Whammy V to have 3 of it's settings on/off, assigned to only 3 switches - octave up, octave down and harmonizer octaves are the settings...would like 3 switches that can be on/off, and that are part of a group, so only one can be on at a time....it seems via midi with the Timefactor, you needed a 4th switch for bypass, and could do it with 3 switches if i used a mini effect gizmo loop....if i don't use a mini effect gizmo loop however, is there a way to still program it to only 3 switches, or do i need that extra "bypass" switch?

Thanks

You can do that, no problem. Set the buttons like this:

Button 1:
PC off:23 on:2 (this is whammy 1 octave up)

Button 2:
PC off:29 on:8 (this is whammy 1 octave down)

Button 3:
PC off:42 on:21 (this is harmony octaves)

Group the buttons together, and set the group settings like this:
Allow all buttons off: ON
Send off messages: OFF

That will activate the correct preset when turned on, and will deactivate it when you press the currently active button a second time.

Great.

Will this work the same for the new Boss DD-500? The Boss can have 3 presets as well, so I'd want to run that similar to the Whammy.

The DD-500 is new to me, but from the manual, it appears that you could do it this way:

Button 1:
PC off:None on:1
CC #21 off:0 on:127

Button 2:
PC off:None on:2

Button 3:
PC off:None on:3

Group the buttons together, and set the group settings like this:
Allow all buttons off: ON
Send off messages: OFF

I'll get the DD-500 in the list of supported devices ASAP.

Since there is no bidirectional communication between the Whammy V (and DD-500), once I set them up this way, what happens if I turn the pedal on/off on the actual pedal? I'm assuming that the GT22 won't be able to know that I've activated the pedal independently...so let's say I turn on the Whammy V on the pedal itself (and it's set to octave up)...what happens if I then hit "Whammy On Octave Up" on the GT22? Will the Whammy simply stay on, and the GT22 will just show that it's activated? If I hit "Whammy On Octave Down" on the GT after activating it on the pedal itself, will the Whammy just stay on, and switch to octave down? And then I hit the GT22 Button again to turn it off? Just want to clarify this as occasionally I'm going to want to activate/deactivate the Whammy on the pedal itself.

You're correct that there's no communication back to the GT. If you turn the pedal on or off using its own buttons, the GT will be out of sync (it may say the pedal is on when the pedal is actually off, or vice versa) and may need more than one button press to get it back in sync.

Whammy DT owners be aware. The Whammy DT will only allow midi control of the drop tune side OR the whammy side of the pedal NOT BOTH at the same time. Unless I'm missing something this really sucks, Digitech! Makes sense I guess since they are using PC instead of CC to control it via midi but still a bummer. I may not have racked the pedal had I looked at this sooner.
Could this be why I am able to access the Whammy/Harmony effect on my DT but not the Detune? If so, how do you select which effect is accessed per preset? The DT manual does not seem to help with regard to this. Please see my own thread on this: http://www.rjmmusic.com/forum/index.php?threads/whammy-setup.2540/

Back