Setting Up GT with AXE

Rick in TN

Once I push "Get Preset Names" on MM how long should it take to upload all the info from the AXE?.........I pushed the button and pop-up screen comes up on the MM screen that says "Get Preset Names" and all the buttons go black.....the screen looks like it has a progress bar under the "Get Preset Names".....but I see no movement.........is this like a 2 hour process or is something not happening correctly?

It should take about a minute to read all of the preset names. There's a progress bar that moves across the screen as well.

It sounds like your connection may not be working after all. How is the GT connected to the Axe-Fx? Are you using a 5-pin active MIDI cable between them? You can try connecting a second MIDI cable from the Axe-Fx's MIDI output to the Remote In on the GT. If it starts working, you don't have a 5-pin active cable. You can continue using two cables, or get a 5-pin active cable, which will allow you to use only one cable.

Even though there are 5 pins visible, not all 5 are necessarily wired. A lot of companies are only connecting 3 pins to save a few cents. Standard MIDI needs only 3 of the 5 pins wired, but the GT/Axe-Fx connection needs all 5. Try adding the second cable and see what happens.

Also check the MIDI BIdir setting in the GT's MIDI settings - it should be turned on.

Just changed the MIDI BIdir to on and all the preset names are there and the IA buttons are correct for the preset as it should be......that's all it was....and the TUNER works now on the GT.....which was a problem I found last night..........1 button was all the problem

THANK YOU for your help and fast responses........I'll try not to have so many dumb questions going forward.....just wanted to get it up and working....new toy thing......

thanks again

Glad it was a simple solution after all! Sorry I didn't come up with that solution sooner - MIDI Bidir is supposed to turn on automatically when you select an Axe-Fx device - I'll have to look into that.

Back