switching from a device to another with one button

Niko

Hi everyone,

First, sorry for my English:)

I basically would like to use Ableton as a multieffects unit when I play guitar on stage and control the DAW via the Mastermind LT.

Let's say that I have 2 effect devices, A and B.

A is turned on or off by pressing a button programmed as follow: Button 1 IA mode CC toggle #13 off: 0 on: 127.

B is turned on or off by pressing another button programmed as follow: Button 2 IA mode CC toggle #14 off: 0 on:127.

I would like to use them alternatively, i.e. not at the same time. When I turn on A, B is turned off and vice-versa with only one button. And when I press a second time the same button, the device is switched off.

I programmed Button 1 as follow:
IA mode CC toggle #13 off: 0 on: 127 AND IA mode CC toggle #14 off: 127 on: 0.

I programmed Button 2 as follow:
A mode CC toggle #14 off: 0 on:127 AND IA mode CC toggle #13 off: 127 on: 0.

I thought that when I pressed the button 1 a message would be sent to A to turn on and to B to turn off for example. The same with button 2

But it does not work. It seems that the 2 messages of the button are sent alternatively and not at the same time. In addition, I can not turn off the devices any more...

Did I miss something? How can I achieve what I would like to? I hope my explanations are clear.

Thanks for your time,

Niko

Make sure both buttons have the Group parameter set to something other than "None". Group 1 is fine if you aren't using groups anywhere else.

Then, in the Globals tab, select Group 1 and turn off the "Allow all buttons off" and "Send Off Messages" checkboxes.

This should make it do what you want.

YYeah!!! One more step towards the elimination of tap-dancing:) Thanks for having taken the time to answer!
Now I can switch from A to B alternatively, it works.

Let's say that A is drive, turned on when I press button 1. B is Fuzz, turned on when I press button 2 (and A is turned off when I press button 2 at the same time:). C is the clean sound when A and B are off.

To return to C when A or B is pressed, my current option is to program a button which turns off A and B.

Is it possible to return to C when I press again A or B? Like on a real stompbox (to save a button and use it for another function)?

ex: I press button 1: drive is on and Fuzz is off.
I press again button 1: drive is off (return to clean sound, C)

Hope my explanations are clear.

Thanks again for your time!

Yes, when "Allow all buttons off" is turned on for the group, pressing the currently active button a second time will turn it off.

Hi!
Just tried this option. When I turn on "allow all button off" in the group, the behaviour of the device is like it was before the first change.

I press button 1: drive is on and Fuzz is off.
When I press it again: Fuzz is on and drive is off. it does not return to the clean sound.

Here are the details
CC 13 is drive and CC14 is fuzz

Button 1 (clean): CC toggle #13 on:127 off: 0 ; CC toggle #14 on: 127 off: 0
Button 2 (drive): CC toggle #13 off:0 on: 127; CC toggle #14 on: 127 off: 0
Button 3 (fuzz): CC toggle #14 off:0 on: 127; CC toggle #13 on: 127 off: 0

All are on the group 1.

I just would like that, when I press button 2 the drive is on, the fuzz is off; when I press it again it goes back to the clean sound (2 and 3 are off); when I press button 3, fuzz is on, drive is off; when I press it again it goes back to the clean sound (2 and 3 are off).

Option of the button 1 could work but I would like to save it for other incredible function:)

Thanks

Hi again,

I saw that putting buttons in the same group allows only one button of this group to be on at any time.
I erased button 1 (clean).
I put button 2 and 3 in the group 1 and switched on the "allow all button off" for this group in the globals menu.
As 2 and 3 are in the same group, only 2 can be on or 3, alternatively, am I correct?

So I erased the messages in red below:

Button 2 (drive): CC toggle #13 off:0 on: 127; CC toggle #14 on: 127 off: 0
Button 3 (fuzz): CC toggle #14 off:0 on: 127; CC toggle #13 on: 127 off: 0

No need to switch to send a off message any more as buttons are on the same group.

I wrote the changes in the device then...it does not work

Then I push 2, drive is on and when I push 3 fuzz is on but drive does not switch off, they are on at the same time...weird as they are in the same group, no?

Thanks, last attempt for tonight:)

Do you have "Send off messages" turned off for the group? If should be turned off in order to work correctly in this case.

Hi,

I think that pictures will help.
This is my config in Ableton:
Ableton A=OVD;B=Fuzz.png
This is the midi assignment (blue color): A is drive (A filter and a drive are combined): switch ON/OFF receives the CC toggle #13.
B is the fuzz: switch ON/OFF receives the CC toggle #14.

Global settings in the software:
Global settings group 1.png
Please note that for the group 1, all the check boxes are unchecked.

Button A (OVD) settings:
Mellow OVD - button A settings.png
Only one message is sent as the button A belongs to the group 1, (consequence: one button at a time in the same group)

Button B (Fuzz) settings:
Fuzz - Button B settings.png
Only one message is sent as the button B belongs to the group 1 too, (consequence: one button at a time in the same group).

I transfer the changes in the device (option write changes to the device).

When I test it:
step 1) Everything is off
step 2) I press button A: Ableton reacts as expected: Filter freak and mellow drive are ON
step 3) I press button A again: Ableton does not turn off the 2 devices:-/
step 4) I press button B: Fuzz is ON but mellow drive and filter freak do not turn off:-/ (basically everything is ON now...)
step 5) At this step, I can not turn off anything with the foot controller, I have to do it manually on the screen.

Where am I wrong?

Thanks for your patience

OK, I misread your earlier post. If you only have one action per button now, then both checkboxes for Group 1 should be checked. This will allow you to turn both buttons off, and it will make sure that pressing one button turns off the other AND makes both buttons send their messages.

Also, in Ableton's MIDI mapping screen, make sure that "Min" is set to 64 and "Max" to 127.

Back