sysex issue with Axe II

toasterdude

Hey. I never was able to get tuner on axe to display on the GT. I was able to read Axe preset names into GT though. I recently had to change my midi routing to get clock from GT to all my devices. Turns out Axe does not pass incoming clock to it's midi through port. FAS says their through is a "soft" through. Axe used to be first in my midi chain using the RJM midi power breakout box. GT would send clock to Axe and that would work fine, but the POD HD that was down stream would not sync, neither the Adrenalinn III down stream from POD.

I swapped so that POD was first and then had both POD and Axe synced, but the AIII which was down stream from Axe still wouldn't sync. Just got a 4 out midi through from midi solutions and hook GT to it, then 3 discreet outs to Axe, POD and Adenalinn. All syncng now seems to work fine! However the GT will no longer read Axe Preset names. It switches Axe to preset 001 and says reading names but never progresses to any other presets? I assume that feature only works when Axe is first in line connected to GT?

Not a huge deal as I should just type up GT preset names in the editor. Just wanted to make sure wasn't due to another issue which may bite me later.

Yes, reading from the Axe requires a return connection from Axe-Fx output to GT input. When the GT is directly connected to the Axe, they can communicate bidirectionally over one cable, but that's only because they both support this non-standard MIDI extension. Normal MIDI ports can only handle one direction.

You could connect a cable from the Axe's output to the Remote In on the GT and that should allow you to read preset names.

Back