TC G system and RJM?

gazz5467

Hi,

I just need some advice if anyone could give it? I currently have a TC Electronics G system which I have been using with a Mesa Roadster to control the channel relays and additional FX loops in the TC. I have recently purchased a Marshall jubilee and would like to use the ‘G’ to control both of these amps in a stereo situation. However, I have also found out that you can only have 1 input into the g system, therefore you can only use 1 amp tone which will be mimicked to the other; ideally I want to use both amps with 2 separate tones- a nice hi gain Mesa on the Left and crunchy Marshall on the Right- similar to Adam Jones from Tool!

Are there any RJM products that can help with this?

Cheers

Unfortunately, with a mono input effects processor, you're always going to be limited to having one preamp signal. You'd need a processor that is true stereo. I believe that the G-Force processes in true stereo, and I'm sure that there are others out there as well.

Hi,

Ah, I did think that. Does the new 'Rack Gizmo' allow for stereo operation as described above? If so what the cost (£) and when are we likely to see it on the shelves? It sounds pretty snazy!

cheers

Hey man, I'm glad to see you posted on here. I was pretty sure this was going to be the case. For now, you could always run the Marshall dry and just put an A/B/Y box immediately after your guitar. You could also use RJM's Y-Not and have the G-System control which amp is on per patch via MIDI.

gazz5467 said:
Hey,

Yesh been doing some research and came across this-

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=53852

Do you think this could work with the Marshall (standard marshall jack pedal)? How does the TC g major 2 sound?

Cheers

if you are thinking about the wiring as i wrote it on the grailtone forum, you can do this with a RG-16 - i did it that way!
the major problem will be, the input of the g-system.
you´ll have to switch between the preamp-sections of both amps via the RG-16 or Effect Gizmo, run the signal into the g-system and back to both power amps.
if the g-system has a stereo input jack for the "post" effects (if you hook it up with the 4-cable-method) then you could do a parallel setup as well.
but there is one more major problem you´ll come across:
if you have a channel on the roadking set to modern-mode, you´ll have to turn up the silver at the same moment.
just quick explanation:
in modern-mode the power-amp of the rectifiers sent out much more volume due to the feedback-circuit mesa built in this amps.
what i did back the time i used a Silver Jubilee 2550 in stereo with a Dual Recto is to build a small box with a volume pot in it, hook this up into a loop of the RG-16, which is in front of the returnjack of the silver.
turned up the silver to match the volume of the modern mode channel on the mesa, turned on the loop for the volume pot and matched the level with the vintage mode channel.
so for the clean, raw and vintage presets i turned on the loop in the RG-16 with the little volume pot in it and by switching to the modern channel the volume pot loop was turned off.
it was a bit tricky but once everything is balanced, it works and sounds awesome!
there is nothing wich can beat the combination of the recto-series amp with one of the best marshall amps ever - the silver jubilee!

Hi,

I was thinking of ditching the G system and maybe getting the RG 16 and the mastermind pedal. Just want to make certain before I commit that it will do the stereo setup as above and that I can use stereo FX?

thanks

gazz5467 said:
Hi,

I was thinking of ditching the G system and maybe getting the RG 16 and the mastermind pedal. Just want to make certain before I commit that it will do the stereo setup as above and that I can use stereo FX?

thanks
yes and no. :)
if you want to switch a stereo-fx unit in/out with the RG-16, you would need two loops for it (the RG-16 is only mono), with the new upcoming Rack Gizmo it will be possible to use only one loop (there are stereoloops like on the effect gizmo).

i used my g-major every time in the loops of my amp, it was always in the effect chain. i switched in/out other stuff.
as said at the grailtone board, it depends on what you want to do! there are so many ways to setup a two-amp setup with effects....and every way is different from the other.
e.g. stereo with A/B the preamps or full parallel (both preamps all the time) and to this basic decision, which kind of effects should be used, should they hooked up in series or parallel, should there be the option of switching the effects out of the signal chain....and so on.
a lot of combinations are possible!
nobody can tell you exactly what you want and what you need, as long as you are not sure about it. ;)

The Rack Gizmo's last four loops will be stereo capable. Because the Rack Gizmo uses TRS jacks, you will need insert cables (stereo on one end, individual left and right mono plugs on the other) to make stereo connections from the Rack Gizmo to most effects.

The Rack Gizmo should be available in August. Pricing will be just a little more than the RG-16. Exact numbers coming soon!

Hey,

Brilliant, put me on the list! I'll hang fire and wait for this device to be released as it seems like the one most effective.

I was also wondering if you are planning to release a new pedalboard with instant access switches?

Cheers

Gary

Yes, we have a much larger controller coming - see the Mastermind GT section for details.

I wish I could, but there's still a lot of work to do on it. That said, I'm working on it as fast as I can and still hope to have it out before the end of the year.

Back