The Dualist Overdrive in split mode

CaliCaveman

Has anyone ever used "The Dualist" in split mode for on the RJM PBC6X?

I made an assumption from the manual that is says to use TRS cables with the dipswitch set to "split", so I can basically turn the pedal into two separate pedals. My assumption was to create two insert cables and use two loops to create the separation for the two sides of the pedal, but doing this is only working for the left side of the pedal and not the right.

Here's the portion of the manual that says what to do:

With the Duellist you can also split channel A and B so you can use it with a pedalboard switcher. In ‘Split’ mode, using TRS cables the Duellist functions as two separate pedals with an in and out for each side, this allows you to place the two sides of the Duellist in “different places” on your pedalboard, e.g. you can put other pedals in-between the two sides.​

I am assuming with the description they are talking about insert cables pluging the TRS into one side and the tip and ring into a loop on the switcher. Doing this with two loops would give me the two separate pedals. I can't get this to work. One side works, the other doesn't.

Am I supposed to TRS on both sides to TRS on the other ends and plug one side into snd and the other into receive in a stereo loop?

I'm confused on this one. Any advice?

Unfortunately, the Dualist uses TRS differently than we do. On the PBC, the tip and ring of one jack are sends to two pedals, and the tip and ring of the other jack are returns from the two pedals. On the Duellist, one jack is send and return for the first half of the pedal, and the other is send and return for the other half.

You can do it, but it requires a pretty weird cable arrangement:

PBC send tip -> Duellist input tip
PBC return tip -> Duellist input ring
PBC send ring -> Duellist output tip
PBC return ring -> Duellist output ring
Each cable shield needs to be connected to at least one plug, preferably both.

Last edited:
So, I had already messaged Jesse about t he pedal and here's how what he's saying. It sounds like I just need the two insert cables according to him but just reverse tip and ring per side ( I didn't do that when I tested so perhaps this is my issue).

The Duellist uses common and standard TRS insert cables to go IN/OUT of each side of the pedal independently. In “SPLT” mode the pedal functions as two completely separate pedals, going in and out of each side with no cross linking.

Just to clarify the wiring is as follows:
Side A:
Tip = INPUT
Ring = OUTPUT
Sleeve = GROUND

Side B:
Tip = OUTPUT
Ring = INPUT
Sleeve = GROUND

If you use use 2x TRS to mono jack sockets, that will give you 4 mono jack sockets and you can wire them any way you need.

I guess I can just hook this up as I was able to get one side working so maybe I was just lucky and hit the tip and ring correctly on that side. Does this sound right to you Ron? Your description seems quite different than Jesse. Sorry for my confusion and thanks for the help.

I'll test when I have a moment this week to confirm as well.

Good information, he just doesn't realize that we have TRS on our end as well, which changes everything. That information does require a correction to my last description:

PBC send tip -> Duellist A tip
PBC return tip -> Duellist A ring
PBC send ring -> Duellist B ring
PBC return ring -> Duellist B tip
Each cable shield needs to be connected to at least one plug, preferably both.

I'm encountering the same problems as @CaliCaveman.

I don't think I understand how to re-solder the pair of TRS to 2xTS insert cables I've bought.

Would somebody be able to explain how to do this in a little more detail please? I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron as long as I have a diagram or clear explanation to follow...

Bumping this. Good tip, @rjmmusic

If I'm reading this correctly, I can make this fit in one spot of my MEG-X, mixing and matching those input/output connections into a couple of TRS plugs. Although, I may just just split the pedal into two mono loops, using insert cables. That seems more straightforward.

Back