Tons of issues with the PBC + Timeline + Tempo

Roman Suarez

Hi all!

I'm having some issues that maybe someone can help me out with. I've recently switched the timeline from the timefactor and I cannot get things settled in. Essentially my issues are that the timeline is warping when tapping tempo and the tempo given from the pbc are not lining up with the tempo thats outputted from the timeline.

I've turned midi clock off even though that was one of my main used features for setlist mode so that the warp doesn't happen when just changing timeline presets within the same song in the rjm. Although it fixed that specific issue, now the tap tempo button I've created is giving me this.. hoping for some help before I give up on this thing.

- Roman

The warping noise is something that Strymon left in b/c apparently a lot of people like it. I'm sure for somethings it may be desired, but for most of us (myself included) it is NOT. That can be turned off in the Global menu on the TL. The function is called MC SWP in the menu. Just turn to off and that goes away.

As far as it "not matching up"...what do you mean more specifically? Not even close? Or just off by a little. I've noticed that if I set my Song tempo on the PBC to 80, the TL will go to 80 no problem (and I'm talking using Midi Clock BTW). If I set the PBC tempo to 79.5, then the TL will bouce between 79 and 80. It's like either the TL can't read inbetween tempos from the clock, or the PBC doesn't send half tempos correctly. Since the TL bounces between 79 and 80, I assume that the PBC is working correctly and that the TL has issues on the MIDI clock.

Maybe @rjmmusic can provide insight. I've been meaning to ask about this for a while.

I've heard of this happening, but I have not yet investigated it. I don't know of any reason that the PBC would have a problem with fractional tempos, it stores tempos with a single decimal place. But it's possible that there's something wrong in there. It sounds to me like the Timeline is trying to round the tempo to the nearest whole number tempo, and it can't quite decide whether to go to 79 or 80. Using a computer to send fractional tempos to the Timeline would be a good test - take the PBC out of the equation temporarily.

Using a computer to send fractional tempos to the Timeline would be a good test - take the PBC out of the equation temporarily.

Ron, how do I do this? I have Midi-OX...can it be done with that? And how?

Reason I ask is, I don't use Midi Clock often but I have ran into a new issue involving Timeline and fractional tempo.

I don't use the PBC's Midi clock often mostly b/c of the issues with which tempo in the context of song operates in the PBC. We've discussed this in another thread and you saw my point and why it would be a good idea to implement my way...but it hasn't been updated yet. I know your busy....

I'd like to do your test above, but not sure how...

Scratch that....I figured it out. And it appears that the Timeline is the culprit. If I sent it a half tempo (like 69.5) it bounces between 69 and 70 (and makes a clicking noise when it does). Not good. I'll have to reach out to Strymon to see if they are aware.

Back