Trying to control GT22 from Pro Tools. It does not behave as stated in the manual

Hello. This is my first time using a Mastermind controller. I need to trigger the start of about 10 songs in Setlist mode from a session in ProTools. I have read the manual, and tried to do this in both configurations listed in the manual. Neither configuration is triggering the expected behavior.

With “MIDI Bank selects song” enabled (which seems like the easier route) I get presets loaded that aren’t even in the current enabled setlist.

CC #32, value 0
PC 0

According to the manual, this should trigger the first preset in the first song of the current setlist. Instead, it loads a patch that isn’t even in the setlist.

Is there some setting I’m overlooking that might be causing unexpected behavior? Thanks.

What patch does it load? And, is there anything else that ProTools might be sending? It probably has a MIDI monitor window of some type.

What patch does it load? And, is there anything else that ProTools might be sending? It probably has a MIDI monitor window of some type.
I’ll have to confirm the address, but it’s loading a “Test Patch” created at some point. MIDI Monitor confirms that Pro Tools is only sending the intended messages.

Edit: “Test Patch” is Preset 0 in the “Presets” page of the Editor.

Here are my global settings and “Devices” page.

Attachments

• IMG_4470.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4471.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I remember what's going on now, someone else had pointed this out recently. The way it works currently is that the bank number loads the actual song by number. So if you send bank 0, it will load song #0, regardless of the setlist you're in. So, that's not following what it says in the documentation. The incoming PC does select the nth preset in the song, not the actual preset number - that matches the documentation.

I think at this point, it's best to create another setting that selects how incoming MIDI banks are interpreted (select by actual song number or song within setlist). Because it's been this way for so long, but no one has mentioned it until now, it's likely that some people are relying on the current behavior and changing it to match the documentation would cause problems for them.

I remember what's going on now, someone else had pointed this out recently. The way it works currently is that the bank number loads the actual song by number. So if you send bank 0, it will load song #0, regardless of the setlist you're in. So, that's not following what it says in the documentation. The incoming PC does select the nth preset in the song, not the actual preset number - that matches the documentation.

I think at this point, it's best to create another setting that selects how incoming MIDI banks are interpreted (select by actual song number or song within setlist). Because it's been this way for so long, but no one has mentioned it until now, it's likely that some people are relying on the current behavior and changing it to match the documentation would cause problems for them.

Thanks for the reply, but I’m a little confused. Are you saying that my MIDI commands aren’t correct to the literature, or that they are correct, but the gear isn’t behaving as the literature suggests?

Per the manual:

To select the first preset in the third song:

CC#32, value 2
PC#0

The offset should dictate that a value of 0 on CC #32 would be song 1, not song 0.

I really don’t have time to change the presets in the unit, as we are mid-rehearsals and the guitarist needs to be able to cycle through the setlist manually without MIDI until it’s solved.

Last edited:
The documentation is incorrect. To get the first preset in a song, you would have to call it up by the song's actual number, not its position in the setlist. So if you have a setlist and song 12 is the third song in the setlist, you would have to send bank 12 to get that song.

Ok, thanks for the info. I never would have figured this out otherwise. I still haven’t confirmed your way works, but will confirm ASAP and return with my findings.

Back