User Generated Device Library

PianoMan

Had this idea pop into my mind while browsing here. Seems to me that the majority of requests is simply for _______ pedal to be added to the device library. Instead of taking up Ron's valuable time adding what is essentially labels and shortcuts, why not outsource it to the users who care about having _____ pedal in their unit?

My thought is that there could be a new tab in the new editor (assuming it's still coming?) or even a separate lightweight utility where the user can pre-fill out all the information that's currently in the Device menu of the existing editor, and add labels for the different PC/CC numbers. They can then export it as a JSON or something similar, and an import function can be added in so that those device files can be downloaded by other users and added to their PBCs. Should be fairly easy to fill out, and the people that care about having that stuff can add it in themselves and share with others. I imagine it would be easy to add a sub-forum dedicated to posting those files to make it easy for people to find what they need.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I've thought about it - it would save me a lot of time in the long run, but it's actually a lot of work to convert to that strategy. Everything's hard coded in C structures now. I have done some preliminary research on JSON parsers, but that's only part of the whole thing. Also, I'd need some way to move that information onto the actual Mastermind as well.

So, the good news is that I'm actively thinking about it. The bad news is that there's a lot of work required to get it done.

Does the mastermind/PBC know all the device CCs too then? I'd presumed it was mostly an editor thing as I seldom edit on the unit itself other than store some new IA states to a patch, so didn't know that. Most exciting thing I do on the unit is make and edit setlists, but good to know it'll remember device CCs if it does.

Makes sense it's not as quick and easy as simply adding some device parameters to the editor and doing a new release then if the unit frmware has to get it all hard coded too. Is the Chase Bliss Mood Mk2 in there? Currently waiting for Bliss Factory and EHX 8-step, but that's likelt to be my next pedal and has lots of added MIDI control in the MkII from what I know.

The Mastermind has all of the CC information on board that the editor has. It doesn't do much for you in the PBC and LT, but the whole database is fully accessible on the GT.

I'll try to get the devices you've mentioned into the next release.

Back