Volume Pedal Taper Issue

Josh Demolar

Hi, I'm new to the forums (so let me know if I'm missing some basic post etiquette or a similar thread somewhere else -- I did look first).

I am just finishing up setting up my new PBC and I am trying to use a volume pedal (Ernie Ball 40th Anniversary), and it's giving me some issues with the taper/sweep. I know there are a lot of opinions about VPs out there, I happen to have always liked the EB VP's long sweep range and the feel of it. I am aware of the other options out there but in general prefer this (when it's not having these problems).

The signal chain goes like this:
  • Various gain pedals in loops 1-6
  • Output 5-6 goes to EB Volume Pedal
  • EB Volume Pedal goes to Goodwood Isolator
  • Isolator splits the signal both:
    • Out to my dry output, and
    • Back to Input 7-10 on the PBC
The issue I'm having is that the EB VP is at about 5% volume for the first 95% of the taper, then jumps to 100% volume at the last 5% of the taper, making for a weird all-or-nothing nonlinear taper.

Supposedly the EB VP works with both active and passive inputs. It also has an easily accessible "internal" dipswitch that supposedly changes the taper, but I can't tell a difference. I have also tried turning the PBC's buffers on/off (both 1 & 2 and even all 3) but it doesn't make a difference.

Any suggestions?

Not sure about this, it might have something to do with the input impedance of the Isolator. Try removing it and see if it fixes the taper.

Unfortunately i think you’re right. I thought i had tried the VP by itself already but Itried again and it does seem to behave as expected with the Isolator out of the equation. I think I may have to just move the VP earlier in the chain. Thanks for the super quick response!

Back