Volume Pedal with Buffer in front of PBC 10

sjgam

I have a modified Ernie Ball Volume Pedal in front of my PBC10. I like that order so the volume swells also introduce distortion.

Its a Thrutone modded pedal - so it has a buffer with a 9v power supply added. It also has a variable impedance knob.

The mod comes with a switch that allows you to bypass the buffer with true bypass in case you don’t have power supply.

The mod is intended to stop the tone suck associated with these passive volume pedals.

So the PBC has three buffers including at the input.

Any thoughts on having just the PBC buffer or just the volume pedal buffer or both or neither?

I have ten pedals with usual mix of dirts, modulations, delay and reverb.

I don't have experience with that specific pedal so I can't say for certain. It's likely that, as long as at least one buffer is on, it'll sound fine. Unless the buffer is designed badly, using one buffer, the other buffer or both buffers is probably going to sound 99% the same, maybe even more.

In general would you recommend running a buffer in front of your PBC 10 given the switcher already has the three buffers in it?

Was thinking given PBC 10 has buffers, I could switch the volume pedal buffer/power off and save a power outlet on my Pedal Power II for other pedals :)

Back