How to connect GT22 to Ableton, Axe FX and MEGs (send and receive midi)

How would I connect a GT22 to do the following:

A) Control Ableton Live as a Midi Controller through RME Fireface UC Interface
B) Be controlled by Ableton Live - Ableton will be sending midi clock, as well as preset change messages to the GT22
C) Control 3 Mini Effect Gizmos
D) Control an Axe FX

Not sure if its possible to do all of this at once and how I would need to cable the rig up with midi inputs and outputs

With the 3 MEGs, I will most likely be daisy chaining all 3 of them, with the final output from the 3rd MEG going to a Molten Voltage Midi Splitty to control some other midi functions on my effects (DD-500, Moog MF104M, Whammy V, and a Molten Voltage CTL Sync to send midi clock to some tap tempo style pedals). I may need to split the 3 MEGs over 2 pedalboards however, in which case I may have Pedalboard 1: 2 MEGs daisy chained with the final output to the Whammy 5, Pedalboard 2: 1 MEG with the final output to the Midi Splitty > DD-500, Moog MF-104M, MV CTL Sync (so I would need 2 separate connections form the GT22 to each board as all 3 MEGS wouldn't be daisy chained). Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the advice!

That will be a bit complicated, but not impossible. If you want to get feedback from the Axe-Fx (effect block status, tuner output, etc), the Axe-Fx will need to be connected directly to the GT with no devices in between. Everything else needs to be connected to the Axe-Fx's MIDI Thru.

You can use the XLR MIDI output on the GT22 as a second output if you have the right adapter cable. That should help out in the two pedalboard case.

You might want to consider connecting the GT directly to the computer using USB. That simplify your MIDI connections a bit. The GT will appear as another MIDI interface in your system and can communicate with Ableton.

I would connect the GT directly using USB though I am a bit worried about the security of a USB connection and also, long cable runs from the GT to the rack, which would be about 15-20 feet.

So Axe FX > Mastermind GT and then the Axe FX Midi Through to the Fireface interface, and to the first MEG in the daisy chain using another midi splitter?

If I removed the Axe FX from the equation, and just wanted to control 3 MEGS and get info to and from the interface for Abelton, how would I go about doing that?

Do I need 2 midi cables, both from the GT to the interface, and from the interface to the GT? For send and receive midi? Or does 1 cable handle both input and output?

If the Axe-Fx isn't there, then you're just going through the three Mini Effect Gizmos and into the Fireface, using the MIDI Thrus of the Mini Effect Gizmos. The Mastermind GT's MIDI ports are bidirectional, but I'm sure that your MIDI interface is not (bidirectional MIDI as used in the GT and Axe-Fx is not part of the MIDI standard. You would need to connect the MIDI output of the Fireface to the Remote In of the GT to get the other direction working.

Back