MASTERMIND PBC FIRMWARE 2.0 Beta 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
At last, here's a beta test version of firmware 2.0. Sorry for the delay, but once you see the size of the new feature and bug fix list, you'll see how much work went into this one:

NEW FEATURES:
  • Expansion to 768 presets
  • Ability to specify tempos at the Song level
  • Big improvement in tap tempo accuracy
  • Device PC + and Device PC - button types allow you to scroll through the presets on a device
  • Page Up and Down buttons now have user configurable min and max limits
  • Preset -/+ buttons now advance through songs when last preset in song is reached
  • PBC can now read preset names from Axe-Fx and Kemper
  • Expander mode - link two PBCs together to make a 20 loop switcher
  • Tuner can now be controlled using a MIDI CC
  • Tuner now has a configurable reference frequency
  • Local button pages can now have names
  • "Show Button Names" setting, when turned on, briefly displays the name of each button as they are pressed
  • Added acceleration to repeating buttons, especially useful in the setup menus
  • When editing numbers in setup, pressing mute sets the number to its minimum value
  • Uses condensed fonts where appropriate to fit more info on screen
  • When in bank select mode, the PBC now scrolls through all of the presets in the bank, displaying the name of each preset. Speed is user configurable
  • Momentary function switches now have user-configurable pulse time
  • Click Stopper can now be configured for the amount of time before and after the relays switch. This improves click stopper performance, especially on loops 7-10
  • When editing presets, songs and setlists, the currently selected preset, song, setlist will be highlighted.

NEW DEVICES SUPPORTED:
(All of these are currently untested - please let me know how they work! Some of these I will be able to test in the next week or so)
  • Atomic Amplifire
  • Boss DD-500
  • Line 6 Helix
  • Pigtronix Echolution 2

BUG FIXES:
  • Fixed bug in editing numerical parameters (on board editing)
  • Fixed inability to edit preset offset
  • Fixed bug in that didn't correctly set up the function button to be Tap Tempo
  • Fixed bug that occurred when using instant bank switching and switching between songs with the same first preset

EDITOR-SPECIFIC CHANGES:
  • Added missing function switch settings
  • When turning IA buttons on and off in presets, the button name text highlights >like this< to show whether main or hold functions are active
  • Added in ability to edit color of a button’s hold function - this color will be shown when the button’s main function and hold function are both turned on (like on loop 7-10 buttons)
  • External switches are now shown in the virtual PBC display - allows you to edit & set state of external switches for each preset

UPDATE 11/14/15, version 2.0b2:
  • Fixed bug that caused accidental page changes on units that had some leftover bad settings from 1.0.2 or earlier
  • Increased tap tempo flash length to make it more visible
  • Fixed a bug that prevented external switch 1 from working
UPDATE 11/16/15, version 2.0b3:
  • Made sure that momentary buttons never send messages on preset changes
  • Increased tap tempo flash length (again) to make it more visible
  • Fixed lockup that happens when holding a bank button down and scrolling to the end of the song list
  • Fixed bug that happens when first preset in first song is not preset #1
UPDATE 11/18/15, version 2.0b4:
  • Fixed a bug that prevented IA buttons from sending their CC messages in certain cases.
UPDATE 11/19/15, version 2.0b5:
  • Fixed a bug that prevented IA Link from working correctly with Mute buttons.
TO UPDATE FIRMWARE:

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 1.0, your PBC will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Copy the file to a USB flash drive, and remove any other .rjf files from the flash drive.
- Eject the drive from your computer.
- Power on the Mastermind PBC while holding the 1 and 3 buttons.
- Keep holding until you see "PBC Bootloader" appear on the screen.
- Now plug the flash drive into your Mastermind PBC. The update should begin and will take a few minutes to complete.

Firmware: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC20B5.zip

Mac Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/software/PBCEditor-2.0b1.dmg
PC Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/software/PBCEditor-2.0b1.zip

Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/manuals/PBC Manual-2.0.pdf

Please give it a try and let me know how it works for you!

Last edited:
Ron,
Super excited about this update! Thank you!

First question... I've loaded the new editor on my MAC, and loaded the new firmware into the PBC. Tap Tempo is much more accurate! Excellent! My question is, when I select a preset with the new firmware, 99% of them are automatically switching to the loops page (page 2) instead of staying on the preset select page. I've tried it with "auto page" off and on, and have tried to force some presets to stay on page one by changing the "show page" to page 1 in the preset editor, but nothing seems to work to keep it on page 1.

Second question... I see in the editor where to set tempo at the song level, but don't see a place to set tempo at the song level on the PBC? The ability to set it at the song level in the PBC is critical for live use.

Overall, with just 10 mins in it, it looks like a great update!

Last edited:
Very useful update, thanks Ron!

Everything is running smoothly so far. Will keep reporting in, but I just played a rehearsal in Song/Setlist mode, no gripes. Song level Tempo worked like a charm. Now I can go about deleting about 70% of my delay presets... ;)

This is awesome, I had to tweak a couple little things when importing my settings file into the new editor, but this is great. I'm so glad that I chose the PBC over others that I was considering!

I'm having some challenges with the firmware update. The biggest one is since updating, almost every preset defaults to page 2 when selected (the I/A page). Even weirder, the same preset will sometimes default to page 1.

For example:
Select bank 2, preset 1 >> it might default to page 1 the first time, but then select preset 2 in the same song and preset two defaults to page 2. Go back and select preset 1 and it now also defaults to page 2.

I just tried setting the "show page" setting to page 1 for all presets, and checked "auto page select" on the global menu, and it didn't make any difference. I've tried downloading a fresh version of the firmware, I've loaded the presets from both my MAC via USB and from a thumb drive... all with the same results.

Anyone seeing the same thing?

The same problem here!!!! Everything downloaded fine.... transferred my settings to the PBC -everything ok -except the external switch on the mission exp. pedal does not work ( can´t get it to do anything.) Otherwise it works just like before. But after unplugging the PBC power and plugging it back in it just goes bonkers!
First preset is fine , changing to another preset puts it in loopmode (I/A page) and then It´s like that on every preset...

Update: Now, it does it without unplugging.it works until I go to the switches page...returning from that every preset goes to the loop page ( I/A page)

Just mad!

Rebooted the vers 2.0 Editor and Firmware but still the same......

Last edited:
I'm having some challenges with the firmware update. The biggest one is since updating, almost every preset defaults to page 2 when selected (the I/A page). Even weirder, the same preset will sometimes default to page 1.

For example:
Select bank 2, preset 1 >> it might default to page 1 the first time, but then select preset 2 in the same song and preset two defaults to page 2. Go back and select preset 1 and it now also defaults to page 2.

I just tried setting the "show page" setting to page 1 for all presets, and checked "auto page select" on the global menu, and it didn't make any difference. I've tried downloading a fresh version of the firmware, I've loaded the presets from both my MAC via USB and from a thumb drive... all with the same results.

Anyone seeing the same thing?

Ok, send me your settings and I'll give 'em a try here.

Ok, I've been able to reproduce the issue. It's a weird one - the PBC I use for all of my testing doesn't show the problem at all, but another one I pulled off the shelf does, even though both have the same settings. I will figure this out ASAP and let you know!

Just to confirm.... I encountered the same issue with my preset buttons sending me to a diff page. Glad to knowninwasnt the only one and a fix is in works.

Also.... Are both function jacks available to send pulse analog tempos?

Great news Ron , then I´m not mad :)...... can you check if there is something strange with the external switching aswell?
as I wrote the ext switch on my RJM is dead...

Anyone else notice the Flashing Tempo lights flash VERY faintly.... ?? I can barely see the flash unless I look closely.

More feedback...

After I "write changes" to the PBC, when I'm in Song Mode and try to Bank up, I can't. The PBC puts my first song at the end of the list, and I can only bank down, not up. It will bank down in this odd order of my 4 songs, 1,4, 3, 2, 1. From here I can bank up or down. But not when I first start out after a data change.

Also, I re-loaded 1.05 firmware to get by this weekend and everything went back to normal. So current list of issues are:

1. Tempo flash is very faint
2. Enabling "Send CC's on Preset Change" freaks my device tempos out with apparent mixed signals.
3. Bank up doesn't work out of a "write change". only Bank down.

2. Enabling "Send CC's on Preset Change" freaks my device tempos out with apparent mixed signals.

Do you have have MIDI clock enabled and have a CC tap tempo action on the same button? That would cause it - you only should use one or the other.

Ok, just updated the firmware to 2.0b2. The link is updated above. This fixes the following:
  • Fixed bug that caused accidental page changes on units that had some leftover bad settings from 1.0.2 or earlier
  • Increased tap tempo flash length to make it more visible
  • Fixed a bug that prevented external switch 1 from working
If there's any I missed, let me know. FYI, the editor did not need a new version (so far)

Awesome update!
What is CC Link in Button Settings for?
There is no popup description and i can't find it in the manual.

Awesome update!
What is CC Link in Button Settings for?
There is no popup description and i can't find it in the manual.

Since you're all beta testing, I will also point you to a beta test of the manual I've been writing for the editor. I did it in a Wiki format to make it easier to maintain:

http://www.rjmmusic.com/wiki/index.php?title=GT/PBC_Editor_Manual

But, if you don't want to dig through that, here's the answer:

CC Link: Controlling buttons using incoming CC messages
It’s also possible to control IA buttons using CC messages sent from a computer or other MIDI controller. Each IA button has a parameter CC Link that enables this feature. When you turn CC Link on, incoming CCs are compared against the first action in each button’s action list. If the incoming CC matches the channel and CC number assigned to the first action in the action list, the button will update based on the CC’s value (0-63 = off, 64-127 = on).

For example, if the first action on a button is Device 1 / CC Toggle #14, and MIDI device 1 is set to channel 4, then incoming CCs on MIDI channel 4 with CC number 14 will control the button.

Please note that each device has an Ignore Incoming CCs setting, which when set, will disable the CC Link feature for that device.

When an IA button is activated due to an incoming CC message, the button will execute all of its actions except the first one in the list (the CC that triggered the button in the first place). This helps to avoid endless loops between the GT/PBC and computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back