Mini Fx Gizmo EVH 5150 preset changes .

Hi All,
I have an EVH 5150 50 mini head with midi using a Mastermind and Mini Fx Gizmo to control amp changes and pedals in MFXG loops.
Now I don't know if this problem is amp midi related or RJM related but after an hour of playing I am having to double tap the Mastermind priest button to get the amp to change channels. The MFXG changes instantly. Both the EVH and MFXG are on PC ch1. Never had any problems until recently. Any ideas before o start taking things apart? :)

It sounds like something is starting to fail. I'd start by connecting the Mastermind directly to the amp and see if it controls it successfully. If it does, then test your other MIDI cable and see if it works. If both cables work, then it's probably the Mini Effect Gizmo. If it doesn't work with either cable, then it's probably the amp (because the Mini Effect Gizmo was switching ok).

It sounds like something is starting to fail. I'd start by connecting the Mastermind directly to the amp and see if it controls it successfully. If it does, then test your other MIDI cable and see if it works. If both cables work, then it's probably the Mini Effect Gizmo. If it doesn't work with either cable, then it's probably the amp (because the Mini Effect Gizmo was switching ok).

Thanks. I'll give that a go today.
I am almost thinking it's the amp as it warms up :( but I'll eliminate everything else first.

Right, I spent all afternoon ( UK ) trying different combinations. Changed all the midi cables as had a few spare. Mastermind direct into EVH midi and also used a Digitech GSP1101 to eliminate the amp. It changed channel flawlessly.
As soon as the MEG was put back on the mix the double tap to get the amp to change channels resumed yet the MEG was changing to its assigned preset settings.
So my old MEG is probably kaput?

It's worked flawlessly for 4 years and lots of live/rehearsal work not surprised it maybe having a moment :)

Is it an easy fix? I know a good tech. If not I'll bite the bullet on a new one.
Cheers
Dan

It should be pretty easy to determine if it's the Mastermind - it would fail to respond to the button, so you wouldn't see it change presets. If the Mastermind changes presets but the other hardware does not, then it's something else.

It sure sounds like it's the Mini Effect Gizmo. Years ago, there was a batch that had occasional MIDI issues. Maybe that's it? It's discussed in this thread:

http://www.rjmmusic.com/forum/index.php?threads/mini-effects-gizmo-midi-fault.315/#post-1669

Back