PHANTOM POWERING THE GT

Should I be getting some sort of confirmation on successful volume pedal calibration?

I believe i'm on the latest KPA firmware, but possibly not the latest GT firmware. I'm guessing it didnt ship with the latest firmware?

I may have kinda figured it out. It seems the Tapestry Audio stuff is incompatible.

I'll ask on the expression pedal thread, but if I wanted to use an Ernie Ball VP JR, which one works the best? I'm assuming the 25k over the 250k?

Yeah, I understand. If it's a big problem I can revisit it later, but I've got the GT/16 on my Pedaltrain Novo24, and there's only about 4" on the side to have a volume pedal... Most of the expression pedals I've seen have the jacks on the sides, which won't work for me, I just dont have the space, even with right angle cables

E2F807DF-DF92-4B20-B7B2-A1BBE2C42BD1.jpeg DA9010BF-B478-4741-9083-2D2C9888D8D8.jpeg E2F807DF-DF92-4B20-B7B2-A1BBE2C42BD1.jpeg Hello ,,Im currently putting together a patch bay and wiring for my touring rig and will be utilizing a GT22 , mini amp gizmo and mini effect gizmo and I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could help me out with.

1) I need a panel mount power jack for phantom power and was wondering if anyone could recommend a model number and good brand , Switchcraft etc

2) The back of the GT22 has 2 accessory power jacks totaling 100 ma. Is it possible to upsize the factory GT22 power supply to allow those jacks to provide more power? Im looking at needing 150 175 ma.If so could you recommend a make and model

3) Im a little confused about the wiring scheme for the 6 pin XLR MIDI out on the 22. My apologies as I've read the manual several times and appear to have a mental block. I have a 6 pin panel mount female XLR connector on the front of patch bay and a 5 pin female XLR on the rear. I need to install power jack in back to plug phantom power supply in and the reason for the 5 pin XLR on back is because all I can find are cheap panel mount 5 pin midi jacks and rather have the cable lock in. I will make a MIDI x XLR cable to go from incoming GT22 to Axe FX3. Ive searched for a wiring schematic and can't come up with anything

Thanks in advance for any help. What great gear this company makes. Cant wait to get it all together and use it on the road this summer!!

Attachments

• B4893498-4FE2-40E9-853B-95E499AB0561.jpeg
    B4893498-4FE2-40E9-853B-95E499AB0561.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
For a panel mount DC power jack, I use this one:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...=/ha2pyFaduiLidVZYCZqPRRged6daur1wP3rczGpFpc=

You need a plastic bodied jack to avoid electrical problems

Changing the accessory power outputs will require replacing a component on the main GT circuit board. I'm not certain if there's a drop in compatible part, but it's fairly likely. I can look into it if needed.

If you're using a bidirectional MIDI connection to the Axe-Fx, then you'll need all 6 pins, I wouldn't recommend using a 5-pin XLR. If you don't care about bidirectional MIDI, then you only need to connect pins 5, 6 and the XLR shield to DIN pins 4, 5 and 2 respectively. Pins 1 and 2 on the XLR are for phantom power.

For a panel mount DC power jack, I use this one:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kobiconn/163-4302-E?qs=/ha2pyFaduiLidVZYCZqPRRged6daur1wP3rczGpFpc=

You need a plastic bodied jack to avoid electrical problems

Changing the accessory power outputs will require replacing a component on the main GT circuit board. I'm not certain if there's a drop in compatible part, but it's fairly likely. I can look into it if needed.

If you're using a bidirectional MIDI connection to the Axe-Fx, then you'll need all 6 pins, I wouldn't recommend using a 5-pin XLR. If you don't care about bidirectional MIDI, then you only need to connect pins 5, 6 and the XLR shield to DIN pins 4, 5 and 2 respectively. Pins 1 and 2 on the XLR are for phantom power.

Thanks for your quick response. I would greatly appreciate it if you would look into wether or not I could change the accessory outputs. It would save me having to run ac to the pedal board. Thanks again!! Love the awesome support !!

Yeah, I understand. If it's a big problem I can revisit it later, but I've got the GT/16 on my Pedaltrain Novo24, and there's only about 4" on the side to have a volume pedal... Most of the expression pedals I've seen have the jacks on the sides, which won't work for me, I just dont have the space, even with right angle cables
You can relocate the jack to the front of the pedal or use one of these cable ends https://www.redco.com/Squareplug-SP400-Low-Profile-Flat-TS.html

Thanks for your quick response. I would greatly appreciate it if you would look into wether or not I could change the accessory outputs. It would save me having to run ac to the pedal board. Thanks again!! Love the awesome support !!

I looked again for a part I had considered using because it would fit the existing board and it could handle twice the current. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's available anymore... I'll keep searching...

I looked again for a part I had considered using because it would fit the existing board and it could handle twice the current. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's available anymore... I'll keep searching...
Thank you again!! I really appreciate your efforts!!

Hi :)

I am trying to put together a patchbay in the back of my rack, as well as on my board, to keep my cabling as safe and clean as possible.
The only problem is, i just can't get my head around wiring these things properly...

I want to phantom power my MMGT16 with the PPA DIN7F through a patchbay AND wire a separat 5 pin + DCpower (as a spare).
But the only 7 pin MIDI sockets/jacks i found are pretty loose and wouldn't lock. And i wasn't able to find any cable to build the DIN7 connections on the patchbay.
The only cable i found is this one: https://www.thomann.de/at/sommer_cable_sc_octave_tube.htm but i'm not sure if this fits for XLR7 and DIN7 connectors...

So i was wondering if i could wire the "Phantom Power Output" on the DIN7F to a 7pin XLR socket (e.g. https://www.thomann.de/at/neutrik_nc7_fdl_b_1.htm), then run a 7pin XLR cable to the patchbay on the board (another 7pin XLR) and wire this socket to a 7pin MIDI jack that goes into the MMGT16 (MIDI Out).
Pretty much the same for the 5pin connection (https://www.thomann.de/at/neutrik_nc5fdl1b.htm), except i'd like to include a DC connector on each side of the chain (https://www.mouser.at/ProductDetail...=/ha2pyFaduiLidVZYCZqPRRged6daur1wP3rczGpFpc=) and connect the end on the board with the DC IN on the MMGT16.

Is this even possible!? Do you have any advice for me?

Thanks in advance!

Using an XLR7 should be fine. When making a patchbay, just be careful how things are grounded. I would recommend connecting the shield wire to the connectors that connect to the patchbay, but not connecting the shield wire on the other side of the cables. That will help avoid ground loops.

Thank you!

So this means i may just solder the phantom power out straight through the 7pin xlr socket?

Do i run into any trouble by bridging the midi connection this often??

Thank you!

So this means i may just solder the phantom power out straight through the 7pin xlr socket?

Do i run into any trouble by bridging the midi connection this often??

Yes, you should be able to wire it straight through. I don't expect that there will be any problem with all the connectors, MIDI is relatively low speed and high voltage.

Hello Ron

Sorry if this question or the answer is already covered here.

I have ended up with a phantom power box XLR6(two inputs) for using with my Axe3 and a GT10 only to realise that the GT10 doesn't' accept an XLR input and it needs to be Din7.

I contacted loopersparadise who said to they didn't have any adapter cables in stock and the best thing to do was to buy a ZLR6 plug and solder it myself to a Din7 cable. I am ok with a soldering iron and would be able to do this but i am a bit unsure of the wiring so they said to contact you and ask for wiring diagram or help.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards Danny

Hello Ron

Sorry if this question or the answer is already covered here.

I have ended up with a phantom power box XLR6(two inputs) for using with my Axe3 and a GT10 only to realise that the GT10 doesn't' accept an XLR input and it needs to be Din7.

I contacted loopersparadise who said to they didn't have any adapter cables in stock and the best thing to do was to buy a ZLR6 plug and solder it myself to a Din7 cable. I am ok with a soldering iron and would be able to do this but i am a bit unsure of the wiring so they said to contact you and ask for wiring diagram or help.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards Danny

No problem, the diagram is attached.

Attachments

• MIDI-X6M-7-HC.pdf
    280.8 KB · Views: 36
Please note that the diagram mentions using two wires for the power pins. I highly recommend this for any cable 25ft / 7.5m or longer. The GT draws a lot of current, which can be a problem with longer cables. Doubling the wires helps a lot. If the cable is one of ours and it's that long, it will already have two wires on pins 6 and 7.

Back