Weird MIDI Issue

PianoMan

On my board I currently have a PBC 6X handling most song programming, a Selah Quartz for tap tempo, and a Morningstar MC6 which is used almost exclusively for changing pages on the PBC (so I can free up buttons for presets and such). I have a weird issue though in that I have a single song programmed into the unit that, when banked to on the PBC, changes the page on the Morningstar. While I have the Morningstar MIDI information programmed into the PBC just in case, I've intentionally set all song presets to not do anything with it, and I can't seem to figure out what is causing this page change. I just had the thought that it could be the Quartz, but I haven't done anything with it other than set tempos, so I don't see how a separate MIDI command would be programmed into it randomly. Anyone have any ideas? My setup file is attached.

Attachments

• Mastermind PBC 6X Setup.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
I don't see anything at all in your configuration that controls the MC6, so it's probably not the PBC, unless the MC6 is responding on a different MIDI channel. Have you tried removing the Quartz to see if the problem stops?

That's my next step. The idea that the Quartz could be the source didn't occur to me until as I was typing out my original post. Since you're not seeing anything either, I'll test the Quartz theory at some point tonight or tomorrow and take a look at the song preset as well. Thanks!

I finally got around to testing this earlier this morning. I removed the Quartz from the MIDI loop entirely and the issue remains. I'm pretty stumped at this point. Any other thoughts as to what might be causing this? For reference, my MIDI loop is as follows:

PBC 6/X > MIDI Splitter Box > Morningstar MC6 > MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru > Strymon Big Sky > MIDI Splitter Box > PBC 6/X

I would recommend using a computer to monitor the MIDI messages that are going to the Morningstar and see what it's responding to.

I am having a similar issue. When i change pbc presets, it changes presets on the morningstar mc8. Did you ever find a solution on this?

I am having a similar issue. When i change pbc presets, it changes presets on the morningstar mc8. Did you ever find a solution on this?
I know I did, but it's been long enough that I don't remember what it was.

If it's a constant issue though, my guess would be that your MC8 is either:
1) on the same MIDI channel as another pedal that you're controlling (solution: change the MC8 MIDI channel to something else).
2) you have a button somewhere sending a PC to the same MIDI channel as your MC8. (solution: find the button and remove that command.)

Pro tip: you can search through all your programming using the editor's System Report function (located in the View tab). The bottom bar of the system report window is a search. Just enter in something like "PC" or even just the MIDI Channel number of your MC8 and scroll through the results. Makes debugging stuff like this super easy!

It appears you resolved this issue by identifying that two devices were on the same MIDI channel. Another thing to watch for with Morningstar MIDI controller (I have an MC6 controlling a Fractal Audio FM3) is that they are sensitive to being under-powered. The spec on my MC6 indicates that it needs at least 120 mA; I was providing 150 mA from a power supply and it was acting very strange. After a few days of troubleshooting with Morningstar and Fractal Audio, I could reliably reproduce the errors, and started to swap out MIDI cables. Eventually I decided to try a higher current power supply, deliver 250 mA, and that immediately resolved the intermittent problems. I have informed Morningstar that they should update the manual to indicate the MC6 requires more than 120 mA.

Back