MASTERMIND GT 4.3.0 FIRMWARE/EDITOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
Mastermind GT firmware and editor version 4.3 is now available!

FEATURES:
  • Support for Meris pedals, Chase Bliss Dark World, Line 6 Helix LT, HX Effects and HX Stomp
  • New action: System / Set IA. This one allows one IA button turn another on or off. IA buttons now have an IA ID number, and Set IA uses that to determine which IAs to turn on or off. This is one of those features where it can be really helpful or can cause trouble depending on how you try to use it. With great power comes great responsibility! At least, the system will prevent improperly configured Set IAs from causing an infinite loop, so you shouldn't be able to hang the system.
  • Improved handling of preset and scene changes in the Axe-Fx III when Poll State is turned on. It's now much smarter about figuring out when it should change presets and when it shouldn't.
  • Added Copy To and Copy From options in the song and setlist screens of the editor. You can access these by right-clicking (or Ctrl-click on a Mac) on the song or setlist in the left column.
BUG FIXES:
  • Fixed a nasty bug that made a row of buttons get stuck in the bootloader screen
  • Fixed a problem with grouped IA buttons when using 2 or more GTs in remote mode.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the Kemper tuner from being visible when using it in slave mode
  • Fix copying of local pages in the editor, cycle data is now copied correctly
FIXES SINCE THE BETA RELEASE:
  • The Set IA action now works with grouped IA buttons
  • The Set IA action has two new special values: "Next" and "Prev". This allows you to change a button to its next or previous state instead of specifying a specific state. When used to change a normal IA button, both Next and Prev do the same thing - they toggle the button. When used to change an IA Cycle button, Next will move forward one step, Prev will move backwards one step.
NOTE: This firmware release will update the firmware on each row of LCDs. After updating the main firmware, you'll see the leftmost display show a progress bar as it updates, and each row will update, one after the other. Please let it run uninterrupted, it should only take a few minutes total!

TO UPDATE FIRMWARE:

PLEASE DON'T DO A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE RIGHT BEFORE YOUR BIG GIG!

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 4.2 or earlier, your GT will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Copy the file to a USB flash drive, and remove any other .rjf files from the flash drive.
- Eject the drive from your computer.
- Power on the Mastermind GT while holding the two buttons under the main screen.
- Keep holding until you see "Mastermind GT Bootloader" appear on the screen.
- Now plug the flash drive into your GT. The update should begin and will take a few minutes to complete.

Firmware: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT/MMGT430.zip

Mac Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT/MMGTEditor-4.3.0.dmg
PC Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT/MMGTEditor-4.3.0.zip

Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT/Mastermind GT Manual-4.3.pdf

Editor Manual (not updated for 4.3 yet): http://www.rjmmusic.com/wiki

Last edited:
The set IA feature interesting! I'll be trying this out somewhere in the next couple of weeks.

Also: thanks for adding the copy setlist functionality

Got a big outdoor gig tonight, but I'll get to this over the weekend. Thanks Ron! I think that Bug #1 got me once, so I appreciate the work on it!

Sweet, I'd be glad to give it a spin. Thanks for the update!

One question on the Set IA action -- would this work to toggle other buttons that have steps defined? (By "toggle" I really mean "go to the next step", just like you had stepped on that switch.) That's the only thing I've run into with the MMGT where I wanted to do something (step through IA steps with an association, like CC Link) and wasn't able to... it already does everything else. :)

Alright, I've installed the beta. Good news: beta installed without a hitch -- the per-row LCD updating are cool, by the way -- and IA Set is working as described in the first post. And so far I haven't run into anything odd or broken with existing functionality, though I haven't really put it through its paces yet.

Not so good news (for me, anyway): Set IA doesn't do what I had hoped with an IA that has steps/IA Cycle enabled. Set IA does work with IA Cycle buttons, but it sets the step with an explicit value. For example, if the On value of Set IA is 2, it sets the step of that IA Cycle button to the third step (which is correct for a zero-indexed array).

So, feature request time! :)

Now that we have IA ID in the mix, can this field be added as a parameter for System Step to support the "press another button" scenario? When processing IA actions, if Step has zero/None for IA ID, it would work as it does today -- to define the next set of actions in a IA Cycle list of actions. But if Step has an IA ID specified, it would be interpreted as "Step on IA", which would act like physically stepping on the referenced IA button.

I believe there are valid and useful scenarios for both "Step on IA" and "Set IA":
  • Set IA is for when you want to set an IA button's state to a specific, known state -- on, off, or a specific step in an IA Cycle button
  • Step on IA is for when you want to press another button without knowing/specifying its state -- toggle on/off, or move to the next step in an IA Cycle button
Real-world example I'm dealing with -- I have guitars with a GK output and a couple buttons that send MIDI CCs. I have these mapped to two buttons on the MMGT with CC Link, which works great -- I press one of the buttons on my guitar, and it presses the associated button on the MMGT. In my presets I setup these buttons to do whatever I want for that preset -- enable/disable sounds, etc. But since you can't use CC Link or IA Link with an IA Cycle list, I can't do anything more than simple toggles with these buttons, and they're not super smart about state either. (The MIDI CCs come through as on-off, but I want them to behave more like a button stomp in regards to the MMGT, not "set explicitly to on/off". Half the time the on/off is wrong when loading up a new preset.)

If we had the "Step on IA" ability, I could have my two CC Linked buttons press other buttons in my preset, so my one button press on my guitar is now like stomping on multiple buttons on the MMGT. I could use this to step through a list of Scenes on my Axe-FX by just having another IA that has the Scenes setup in an IA Cycle list. I could also use it to always toggle other buttons (to turn effects on/off, etc) and have it respect the current state of each button, as the guitar buttons and the CC Linked buttons don't have a way of knowing other button states.

In short, with "Step on IA", one IA button could press other IA buttons in the same way your foot would.

[Programmer note: alternatively, this could be implemented as a new System action, maybe called Press IA. This may be more clear UX-wise when reading the IA Actions list, particularly with an IA Cycle button that is pressing other buttons -- it would have Steps in the list for its own steps as well as "Step on IA" for the other button pushes. But it is probably feasible to do this by adding another use case to Step, since it's additive and no one has IA IDs set for their Steps today (in terms of migrating presets). I don't know what the cost is for implementing a new System Action versus adding functionality to Step, but if you were to go the Step route, the description of Step in the Actions list should indicate that this new option is Stepping on something, not just another Step. Personally I do like the "Step on IA" verbiage since one does physically step on the buttons to actuate them, but I can see the merits of "Press IA" as well, and it may be simpler to understand than a double-dealing Step. The choice is yours of course, Ron! :) ]

Beta feedback -- seems to be an issue when using Set IA in combination with button groups. I've setup three IA buttons -- IA 1, IA 2, and IA 3 -- each with a Set IA action that turns the next button on when its own state is set to off. All three buttons are in the same button group. Hitting a couple switches gets it into a state where multiple buttons in the group are on.

I should have mentioned that - Set IA is not going to work well with button groups, it doesn't pay attention to groups at all. This is probably something I can improve, but for now the two are not going to work well together.

Roger that, thanks for the info. I'll keep experimenting and see what else turns up.

Is it possible that we could get a "Press IA" action at some point that acts more like a button push and doesn't explicitly set state? I see how Set IA would be useful in some scenarios, but it doesn't look like solves my particular problem.

Hi Ron,

Does the IA set feature mean that if you're second pressing an IA that is a system > preset command, it will reset the other IA's that are associated with that preset or is it a separate thing?

As in:
- Press IA that changes a preset
- Press another IA to add delay/reverb etc
- Press original IA again
- Will the IA set remove the delay/reverb that was added in (essentially resetting the preset)

Thanks

All Set IA means is that you can do something like this: "When I press this button, this other button will also turn on" or "When I press this button, this other button will turn off".

Preset buttons will work like you describe when you have Preset 2nd Press set to Reload. A second press of the preset button will reload the current preset, resetting any IAs that have Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change turned on. I don't remember if IA buttons with Preset actions will reload the current preset on 2nd press, I'll have to try it. But, in any case, Set IA is a different thing.

Thanks for all your work on this, Ron! Great to have such a great controller that just keeps improving.

Updated, quick note, until i unplugged and restarted my presets were jumbled. Once i powered off and back on they came back. GT16 here.

YES!!! Thank you thank you! Installed 4.3.0 and it's working great. The Set IA implementation with Prev/Next options is a better implementation than what I had suggested -- now I can assign virtually any action (or series of actions) to the two buttons on my guitar. Awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back